It's Climate Change I tell'ya!! IT'S CLIMATE CHANGE!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
My new ford ecosport has a feature that turns off the motor when you come to a full stop and restarts when you release the brake.
Will the money I save on gas pay for the new starter I will eventually need?
Is it worth the money buying the can opener gadget to permanently disable that feature?
I've done the google thing with no definitive answer, so I'm trying to get in the habit of manualy disabling the feature every time I start the car.
I would disable that gadget unless you are seriously into virtue signaling and don't mind creating traffic jams when all that computer shit doesn't work as advertized. You can drive quite a distance(or idle) on the fuel used to start an engine. The smart driver just puts the transmission in netural while waiting for lights.
Few years back on a construction site I was moving equipment around the shop yard with a zoomboom. Since I was working alone I had to place my own dunnage. This fat whiney environmental bitch comes along and tells me we have a zero idleing policy and I have to shut the engine off every time I get out. I told her I have an no stupid policy and she should leave.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Does it actually require the starter each time ? Won’t that make you slow off the start , not good in rush hour stop and go .
By the time you move your foot from the brake to the gas pedal it's ready to move....

I would disable that gadget unless you are seriously into virtue signaling and don't mind creating traffic jams when all that computer shit doesn't work as advertized. You can drive quite a distance(or idle) on the fuel used to start an engine. The smart driver just puts the transmission in netural while waiting for lights.
Few years back on a construction site I was moving equipment around the shop yard with a zoomboom. Since I was working alone I had to place my own dunnage. This fat whiney environmental bitch comes along and tells me we have a zero idleing policy and I have to shut the engine off every time I get out. I told her I have an no stupid policy and she should leave.
I don't doubt that the gas saving (If any) is minimal .....the "can opener" gadget is around 100 bucks and it plugs into the OBD plug-in

The price is the reason I've got into the habit of press the start button, immediately press the disable button for stop start every time I start the car......
Now to teach my wife to do it every time too

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
My new ford ecosport has a feature that turns off the motor when you come to a full stop and restarts when you release the brake.

I've done the google thing with no definitive answer, so I'm trying to get in the habit of manualy disabling the feature every time I start the car.
What number is, 'never stop' on your list?

Hack the speedo so it never registers '0'.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017

Will the money I save on gas pay for the new starter I will eventually need?

Is it worth the money buying the can opener gadget to permanently disable that feature?

Its a GOOD QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To bad nobody will discuss the cost of the starter versus gas savings in any sensible way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frankly my advice to you is to dump the Ford as soon as convenient.....................................

as it is a DUMB FEATURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just think if it has a hiccup and turns off at a BUSY intersection..................................

then does not restart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my case I bought a used vehicle that had fairly low mileage...........................

and minimal bells and whistles......................................

to minimize electrical glitches and gremlins as it ages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Does it actually require the starter each time ? Won’t that make you slow off the start , not good in rush hour stop and go .
The torque converter probably stores some hydraulic pressure. That and direct gas injection means there is instant starts rather than winding the starter endlessly.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
The torque converter probably stores some hydraulic pressure. That and direct gas injection means there is instant starts rather than winding the starter endlessly.

Did you think of this on or off your meds? The beginning of your post is delusional while the end of your post is true

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017

CLUELESS TWIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you claim to be an engineer????????????????????????????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being the best lunatic at the asylum..............................

at assembling LEGO TOYS............................

DOES NOT make you an engineer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE TORQUE converter does it........................

on YOUR LEGO TOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or in your head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Canada's Birds Have Been Massively Dying Off & It's Now Officially An Emergency

The National Audubon Society declared a "bird emergency" after a study revealed that North America has seen a decline of 2.9 billion birds since the 1970s. This is believed to be a result of a number of environmental factors, though the study didn't specifically look at causes. Habitat degradation, pesticides, and birds flying into windows have all been potential reasons for the premature deaths of our wild birds. As such, Canada's bird population is majorly at risk.
In 1970, there were an estimated 10 billion birds flying around North America, and about 529 different species. Today, that number has dropped to 7.1 billion. That is a 29% decline, and birdwatchers and environmentalists alike are in disbelief.
"I’m pretty shocked at the decline and I’m worried for the future. If we’ve had that decline over 50 years with the effects of climate change, and the next 50 years — what’s going to happen? We can start seeing extinctions," Hugh Kent of the Holiday Beach Migration Observatory told the Montreal Gazette.
The report, published on Thursday, September 19, says that the "loss of bird abundance signals an urgent need to address threats to avert future avifaunal collapse and associated loss of ecosystem integrity, function and services."
CBC News reports that some of the more common birds impacted include sea birds, backyard birds, warblers, finches, sparrows and songbirds, as well as long-distance birds like swallows and sandpipers that come to Canada from the Arctic.
The common house sparrow is the species that has seen the largest decline. Three hundred million house sparrows have disappeared from the skies since 1970.
Grassland species have also suffered tremendously, with losses of 150 million of these birds, which include savannah sparrows and meadowlarks.
Pesticides also play a role in the declining bird population, specifically because certain pesticides such as neonicotinoids affect the body mass of birds. These pesticides result in significant body fat loss in birds that affect their migration.
"Body fat is extremely important for migratory birds since it determines how far they can fly at a given time," Lucas Berrigan of Bird Studies Canada told CBC. Lack of wildlife conservation is also a factor in the population decline.
Canadians have been protesting the climate crisis as more information becomes known about how the planet and wildlife are suffering at the hands of climate change and human negligence. Canadians have been trying to do their part to raise awareness. Students have been skipping school to protest, and Canadians are participating in the Global Climate Strike.

Sparrows are not native to North America

Only pretty much mentioning pesticide use, which has really been increasingly used in the last few years in the farming industry

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Did you think of this on or off your meds? The beginning of your post is delusional while the end of your post is true
I can think clearly and I'm not on any meds, that would be you fuks story. The beginning of my post shows I know a lit fukking more than a retard like you. Insult me for your lack of knowledge, is that not what liars and frauds are all about??

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...erated-energy-2332-0796-1000146.php?aid=57245
Research Article Open Access

Regenerative Braking-Methods to Efficiently Use Regenerated Energy

Abstract

One of the important factors of planned urbanization is a sustainable mass urban transport. All most every metro have chosen Metro Rail has the mass urban rail transport. Electricity has always been the main source of energy for urban metro transport as it has all the qualities required for mass urban transport system. Different electric systems have been used world over to supply the electricity used for Mass urban rail transport systems, popularly known as the Traction energy requirement. In this paper the traction energy supplied using 750 V DC is being dealt with. In majority of the metro rail systems, the rolling stock is equipped with regenerative brakings. In the regenerative braking the electric motor can act as a generator recovering the vehicles kinetic energy and converting it into electric energy. In metro rail since the distance between the stations is generally around 1 km, so the frequency of the braking is high so this method can be efficiently used. This highlights the different methods that be used for efficiently using the regenerated power in an a 750 V Dc traction system.
Energy Storage Systems (ESS)
There are presently three types of ESS that are in use
Flywheels (FESS)
Fly wheel has the simplest design of all the three ESS. Energy is stored as kinetic energy using a rotor that rotates at high angular speed.
E =1/ 2Jω2
Where j is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity. The rotor is a hollow cylinder and has magnetic bearings to minimize the friction. The rotor is located in a vacuum pipe to decrease the friction even more. The rotor is integrated into a capacity depends on the mass and shape of the rotor and on the maximum available angular velocity. FESS also has limitations. FESS has a higher cost per kWH than commodity batteries. The FESS design must resolve safety concerns about energy containment in case of flywheel or bearing failure. Since FESS is a mechanical device, it is more susceptible to moving part failures than super capacitors or batteries. Finally, some FESS designs present a greater challenge to achieve effective cooling at reasonable cost (Figure 4).

https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/i-eloop/

Brake Energy Regeneration System

i-ELOOP continuously recovers kinetic energy as the vehicle decelerates and reuses it as electricity

Brake energy regeneration systems convert a vehicle's kinetic energy into electricity as the car decelerates. The electricity is then stored for later use. It can be used to power the headlights, climate control, audio system, or any other electrical equipment. This reduces the need for the engine to burn extra fuel in order to generate electricity, and thereby improves fuel economy.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
CLUELESS TWIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you claim to be an engineer????????????????????????????

I Only claimed to be a reasonable thinker. You fuks are the so called 'experts' yet you are full of opinion and zero facts. WTHell would you think I would ever be intimidated by that kind of horseshit??

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8219271
Method for controlling a drivetrain for a hybrid vehicle

Abstract

A method for controlling a drivetrain for a hybrid vehicle is provided. The drivetrain has at least one internal combustion engine, a torque converter and an operational link to at least one drivable axle, an electrical energy store, and an electrical machine, which is usable as a generator for charging the electrical energy store during a recuperation operation. The electrical machine is provided on the pump wheel and the operational link being provided on the turbine wheel of the torque converter. A torque is introduced from the drivable axle via the operational link and through the turbine wheel into the liquid of the torque converter in recuperation operation in order to be dissipated as heat.

Images (2)

Classifications

B60W20/00 Control systems specially adapted for hybrid vehicles

View 12 more classifications

US8219271B2

United States

Download PDF Find Prior Art Similar
InventorMarco Fleckner Current Assignee Porsche SE Worldwide applications
2007 DE 2008 US JP
Application US12/138,360 events

2007-06-27
Priority to DE102007029809.0

2008-06-12
Application filed by Porsche SE

2009-01-01
Publication of US20090005925A1

2012-07-10
Publication of US8219271B2

2012-07-10
Application granted

2019-09-23
Application status is Active

2031-03-12
Adjusted expiration

Show all events

InfoPatent citations (12)Non-patent citations (2)Cited by (4)Legal eventsSimilar documentsPriority and Related ApplicationsExternal linksUSPTOUSPTO AssignmentEspacenetGlobal DossierDiscuss

Description

CROSS-REFERENCE TO RELATED APPLICATION This application claims the priority of German Application No. 10 2007 029 809.0, filed Jun. 27, 2007, the disclosure of which is expressly incorporated by reference herein.
BACKGROUND AND SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION The present invention relates to a method for controlling a drivetrain for a hybrid vehicle.
Hybrid vehicles typically have an internal combustion engine and at least one electrical machine. The electrical machine is either provided as a generator for charging an electrical energy store, and/or as a motor, for at least an auxiliary drive of the hybrid vehicle. Both are also frequently provided, in that sometimes the electrical energy store is charged and it is then used at other times for the electrical drive of the hybrid vehicle.
Furthermore, modern vehicles having automatic transmissions, i.e., typically also hybrid vehicles, usually have a torque converter. A liquid such as oil or water, inter alia is engaged and accelerated by the blades of an input-side pump wheel therein. The pump wheel, which is driven by the internal combustion engine and/or the electric motor, for example, thus converts mechanical energy into flow energy. The liquid flowing out of the pump wheel is deflected in its direction in an output-side turbine wheel. The turbine wheel, from which a transmission input shaft is connected downstream, for example, therefore experiences a reaction torque, by which a soft start of the vehicle is ensured, for example.
A hybrid vehicle has the advantage in relation to conventional vehicles having internal combustion engines that the kinetic energy may be reclaimed in large part (recuperation). For this purpose, torque is relayed from at least one drivable axle of the hybrid vehicle to the electrical machine. The reclaimed (recuperated) energy is buffered in the vehicle-side electrical energy store, e.g., a vehicle battery. The electrical machine operated as a generator exerts a decelerating torque (generator torque) on the hybrid vehicle in accordance with the degree of the generator usage. Recuperation may be provided in passive overrun and during active braking. Overrun is a vehicle state in which the vehicle is not actively driven, but rather is only driven forward by its intrinsic inertial mass, diverse driving resistances and possibly a generator torque decelerating it. During braking, the vehicle is actively decelerated by the driver, using generator torque and/or the operating brake.
In hybrid vehicles, fuel supply and ignition are typically shut down during the recuperation and, in addition, further precautions are taken to prevent the engine braking of the internal combustion engine and thus cause the kinetic energy to be delivered as completely as possible to the electrical machine driven as a generator. The internal combustion engine may thus be disengaged mechanically by a corresponding interruption clutch.
A problem results, however, if the electrical energy store is full or cannot currently accommodate any electrical energy for other reasons-such as exceeding temperature limiting values. In this case, the electrical machine is no longer operable as a generator, because the discharged electrical energy may no longer be accommodated by the electrical energy store. The electrical machine may thus no longer be used for decelerating the vehicle during braking and/or in overrun. A deceleration behavior of the hybrid vehicle which is unpleasant to the driver, because it is unaccustomed, thus results during the recuperation operation.
The object of the invention is to provide an improved method for controlling a drivetrain, which ensures a deceleration behavior of the hybrid vehicle, which always remains identical in recuperation operation, in particular independently of the quantity of electrical energy stored in the electrical energy store.
The object is achieved by providing a method for controlling a drivetrain for a hybrid vehicle, the drivetrain having at least one internal combustion engine, a torque converter and an operational link to at least one drivable axle, an electrical energy store, and an electrical machine, which is usable as a generator for charging the electrical energy store during a recuperation operation. The electrical machine is provided on the pump wheel and the operational link is provided on the turbine wheel of the torque converter. Torque is introduced from the drivable axle(s) via the operational link and through the turbine wheel into the liquid of the torque converter in recuperation operation for dissipation as heat.
According to the invention, in recuperation operation, a torque is introduced from at least one drivable axle of the hybrid vehicle, via the operational link and through the turbine wheel, into the liquid of the torque converter for dissipation of the introduced torque by way of heat. In other words, through the “reverse” operation of the torque converter, i.e., by introducing a torque via the turbine wheel instead of the pump wheel, it is operated at a “poor” efficiency. Because the electrical machine is connected to the pump wheel of the torque converter and only little energy is transmitted from the turbine wheel to the pump wheel due to the poor efficiency, the electrical machine operated as a generator rotates only very slowly or not at all. Therefore—as typical in recuperation operation—torque is introduced into the drivetrain. This torque is not converted into electrical energy, but rather into heat, however. According to the invention, a torque may thus be introduced into the drivetrain when conversion into electrical energy is not possible and/or intended. A hybrid vehicle having a deceleration behavior which always remains identical, known, and thus pleasant therefore results for the driver.
The torque is preferably introduced through the turbine wheel into the liquid of the torque converter in that a converter bypass clutch of the torque converter is open in recuperation operation. This is because an existing converter bypass clutch between the turbine wheel and the pump wheel is typically closed in recuperation operation to improve the efficiency of the torque converter. By opening the converter bypass clutch, a simple possibility thus results for introducing torque into the liquid of the torque converter via the operational link for dissipation as heat.
A speed regulation of the electrical machine is preferably provided. The proportion of torque which is to be introduced via the operational link into the liquid of the torque converter and dissipated as heat may be set relatively precisely by this speed regulation. A proportion of energy settable in accordance with the speed of the electrical machine may thus be dissipated by the opening of the converter bypass clutch.
A torque introduction into the liquid of the torque converter is especially preferably provided when the vehicle-side electrical energy store is entirely, or partially, incapable of storing the energy generated in recuperation operation as electrical energy. A recuperation behavior of the vehicle which always remains identical thus results. Because the electrical energy stored in the electrical energy store may be determined relatively precisely, the proportion of energy generated in recuperation operation and no longer storable as electrical energy is also known. A recuperation behavior, which always remains identical, is thus ensured by a speed regulation of the electrical machine in accordance with this proportion, independently of the electrical energy stored in the electrical energy store. A proportional torque introduction into the torque converter is provided when the vehicle-side electrical energy store may no longer completely store the energy generated in recuperation operation as electrical energy.
The invention is preferably implemented as a control unit in a hybrid vehicle. A device of this type may be implemented easily as a modification of one or more existing control units or as a separate control unit. The data required and/or delivered according to the invention may then be transmitted easily via the vehicle-side network, e.g., CAN.
Other objects, advantages and novel features of the present invention will become apparent from the following detailed description when considered in conjunction with the accompanying drawing.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWING The FIGURE shows the schematic construction of the invention.
DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWING In the FIGURE, a drivetrain 1 is shown, which has an internal combustion engine 2, a hybrid module 3, and a transmission 4. The transmission 4 is operationally linked to an axle of the hybrid vehicle in a known manner not otherwise shown in greater detail, e.g., via a differential. The hybrid module 3 has a torque converter 5, which includes a converter bypass clutch 6. The turbine side of the torque converter 5 is connected to the transmission 4 and the pump side of the torque converter 5 is connected to the electrical machine 7. The electrical machine 7 is operable as a motor, for auxiliary or sole drive of the drivetrain 1. Furthermore, the electrical machine 7 is operable as a generator for charging a vehicle-side energy store (not shown in greater detail). The internal combustion engine 2 may be disengaged from the hybrid module 3 via an interrupting clutch 8, to prevent drag torques in electrical driving operation.
The sequence of the method according to the invention is described as an example hereafter. A hybrid vehicle having the drivetrain 1 travels on an inclined route and is in recuperation operation. The electrical machine 7 of the hybrid vehicle is thus operated as a generator and charges a vehicle-side electrical energy store. If the vehicle-side electrical energy store is completely charged, but the hill descent has not yet ended and thus the recuperation operation still continues, the problem results that the braking action of the electrical machine 7 operated as a generator decreases. To ensure a uniform braking action, the braking behavior must be changed, in that the operating brake is switched in more strongly. However, this would result in braking behavior which varies and is thus unpleasant to the driver. Restarting the internal combustion engine 2, which would require a corresponding amount of energy, is also not advantageous for comfort reasons, because a starting torque is unpleasantly noticeable as a jerk and the thrust torque of the internal combustion engine 2 may not be metered.
Therefore, according to the invention, the converter bypass clutch 6, which has been closed until now in recuperation operation, is opened. A torque is still supplied via the operational link into the turbine wheel of the torque converter 5 from the drivable axle(s) of the hybrid vehicle. However, because the converter bypass clutch 6 has been opened, this torque is no longer transmitted, more or less without loss, from the turbine wheel to the pump wheel. Rather, the turbine wheel of the torque converter 5 is now driven with an open converter bypass clutch 6. The poor efficiency resulting during this “reverse” operation of the torque converter 5 is intentional in this case. This is because the introduced torque is discharged from the turbine wheel to the surrounding liquid, e.g., oil. Therefore, a torque, which now no longer drives the electrical machine 7, but rather is dissipated as heat in the torque converter 5, may still be introduced into the drivetrain 1 from the drivable axle(s) via the operational link. This is because the efficiency of the torque converter 5 worsens significantly due to the speed differential between the pump wheel and the turbine wheel and the majority of the introduced energy is converted into heat. Because the electrical machine 7 rotates very slowly or not at all in spite of the high applied torque, almost no electrical energy is generated. A deceleration behavior of the hybrid vehicle having the drivetrain 1, which remains identical, thus results in recuperation operation, although the electrical energy store is already full.
Of course, the idea according to the invention is similarly applicable in non-electrical energy stores in a hybrid vehicle as well, e.g., in a mechanical energy store (flywheel).

Discuss, lol

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I can think clearly and I'm not on any meds, that would be you fuks story. The beginning of my post shows I know a lit fukking more than a retard like you. Insult me for your lack of knowledge, is that not what liars and frauds are all about??
https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...erated-energy-2332-0796-1000146.php?aid=57245
Research Article Open Access
Regenerative Braking-Methods to Efficiently Use Regenerated Energy
Abstract
One of the important factors of planned urbanization is a sustainable mass urban transport. All most every metro have chosen Metro Rail has the mass urban rail transport. Electricity has always been the main source of energy for urban metro transport as it has all the qualities required for mass urban transport system. Different electric systems have been used world over to supply the electricity used for Mass urban rail transport systems, popularly known as the Traction energy requirement. In this paper the traction energy supplied using 750 V DC is being dealt with. In majority of the metro rail systems, the rolling stock is equipped with regenerative brakings. In the regenerative braking the electric motor can act as a generator recovering the vehicles kinetic energy and converting it into electric energy. In metro rail since the distance between the stations is generally around 1 km, so the frequency of the braking is high so this method can be efficiently used. This highlights the different methods that be used for efficiently using the regenerated power in an a 750 V Dc traction system.
Energy Storage Systems (ESS)
There are presently three types of ESS that are in use
Flywheels (FESS)
Fly wheel has the simplest design of all the three ESS. Energy is stored as kinetic energy using a rotor that rotates at high angular speed.
E =1/ 2Jω2
Where j is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity. The rotor is a hollow cylinder and has magnetic bearings to minimize the friction. The rotor is located in a vacuum pipe to decrease the friction even more. The rotor is integrated into a capacity depends on the mass and shape of the rotor and on the maximum available angular velocity. FESS also has limitations. FESS has a higher cost per kWH than commodity batteries. The FESS design must resolve safety concerns about energy containment in case of flywheel or bearing failure. Since FESS is a mechanical device, it is more susceptible to moving part failures than super capacitors or batteries. Finally, some FESS designs present a greater challenge to achieve effective cooling at reasonable cost (Figure 4).
https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/i-eloop/

Brake Energy Regeneration System
i-ELOOP continuously recovers kinetic energy as the vehicle decelerates and reuses it as electricity
Brake energy regeneration systems convert a vehicle's kinetic energy into electricity as the car decelerates. The electricity is then stored for later use. It can be used to power the headlights, climate control, audio system, or any other electrical equipment. This reduces the need for the engine to burn extra fuel in order to generate electricity, and thereby improves fuel economy.

I didn't read anywhere in there where a Torque converter stores energy, a torque converter take the place of a clutch in an automatic transmission, think of it more as shock absorber. As for the rest of the name calling grow up and take your pills fool :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I've never had to use pesticides.
Lying fuk, the fields of Sask are most likely classified as a toxic waste-ground.

https://hungryfortruthsd.com/what-are-pesticides-and-why-do-farmers-use-them/
Three Main Types of Pesticides
Paul Johnson is a weed science coordinator at South Dakota State University in Brookings. Paul grew up on a crop and livestock farm near Sisseton. His dad served on the county’s noxious weed board and Paul started spraying crops at the age of 12. It’s easy to see why Paul describes himself as a “weed-fighter,” even though pesticides aren’t just used to eliminate weeds.
“Pesticides is a term used to describe a substance that controls weeds, insects, diseases and other organisms to protect and grow healthy crops,” said Paul. The three main types used on South Dakota farms are herbicides to control weeds, insecticides to control harmful insects and fungicides to control certain types of diseases.
Why Farmers Use Pesticides
Though they may seem small, insects, weeds and diseases can quickly take over fields and cause big losses. Farmers use pesticides to stop the damage and save their crops. To act quickly and safely, they need the latest research and product information at their fingertips.
That’s where Paul and his team of extension specialists come in. They conduct field research throughout the year and share what they learn online and in educational sessions to help farmers identify and treat the problems they see in their fields.
“Part of my job is to monitor crops and compare what I see to previous years. We alert farmers if we see a problem so they don’t get caught off guard,” explained Paul. Top pests he watches for are soybean aphids and grasshoppers that devour plants and grasses quickly. Waterhemp, kochia and marestail are weeds that take over fields and compete with corn and soybeans for sunlight, water and other resources.