How reliable is BMI ratio?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I often see the figure 30 as the threshold of obesity. Doesn't it vary with different body structures? Would people with heavy bone and muscle structure score higher without necessarily being obese?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
The armed forces brought that nonsense in in the 90s. I think >27 was the rule. 30> could get you kicked out and they actually did kick some people out over it. I think they got rid of it for just the reason you mention. While it is broadly accurate people should be judged on their own.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The armed forces brought that nonsense in in the 90s. I think >27 was the rule. 30> could get you kicked out and they actually did kick some people out over it. I think they got rid of it for just the reason you mention. While it is broadly accurate people should be judged on their own.

Well, muscle weighs a lot more than fat, so fat people ironically can actually be quite light. :)

hunterclail1221

Aug 6, 2018
That has been the critique of the BMI. Two people can weigh the same and have similar heights and yet have a completely different body type, composition.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I often see the figure 30 as the threshold of obesity. Doesn't it vary with different body structures? Would people with heavy bone and muscle structure score higher without necessarily being obese?

Yes

According to the chart I'm over weight by a few pounds. This while looking lean.