Does our justice system deliver justice

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
True they don't have to share my opinions but at the same time I should not have to finance their opinions.
They're not "their opinions" they are our choices where "us" is all of us together, abiding by what the majority of us decides. That's the theory. Despite its flaws it works tolerably well.

In a functioning society the do-gooders and the do-badders all contribute to the pot that funds the group's decisions. Everybody gets things they want, or can use, together with things they don't or can't. Some of those things; like legal and justice systems, prisons, public sanitation, infrastructure, transport etc. would be impossible otherwise.

Even while complaining, we all understand this; or I thought we did.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There is a serious argument to be made that the inquisitorial system practiced by most continental European countries produces better outcomes than the adversarial system practiced by England and its progeny.

But we don't do serious arguments here, unless by "serious argument" you mean outshouting your interlocutor and bringing more logical fallacies than your interlocutor does.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
It isn't the Bernardos and Pictons that concern me - its the David Milgards.