Shootings at 2 New Zealand Mosques

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Yeah, on CTV I heard them speak with a professor that is an "expert" on gun control.
First he pointed out that New Zealand let people own guns without registration. As if this guy would care if the gun was registered.
Then he expressed the "horror" Kiwis feel when in the USA when they see people with guns on their hip.
Well, it is a damned shame a few of the people in these mosques didn't have guns on their hip.
The prof is an idiot.

I'm somewhat indifferent to gun control: I can see pros and cons either way.

That said, I don't see how Muslims with guns on their hips would have helped. People react dangereously when panicked. Imagine a Mosque full of gun totters for a moment. A shooter would just need to walk in, spray a few rounds, walk out, and then let the whole place explode into a firefight as everyone tries to figure out who's shooting at whom.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Most Muslims want to immigrate to Trumps country and leave their country, what does that tell you?

It tells me you think you know what most Muslims want. I suspect you don’t. I also suspect that the reasons that anybody would want to move to the US are precisely the things that Trumpites hate about the US.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
There is nothing in Christianity that would instruct or encourage mass murder, much the opposite.

Let’s not confuse christians with the religious right. The latter are whack jobs that try to use religion promote their political agenda, just like radical islamists.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Let’s not confuse christians with the religious right. The former are whack jobs that try to use religion promote their political agenda, just like radical islamists.

I think you mean the latter? Just call them fanatics. Why do we need any adjective, be it Christian, Muslim, or other. They're all the same anyway. Or even just tyrant will do.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I'm somewhat indifferent to gun control: I can see pros and cons either way.
That said, I don't see how Muslims with guns on their hips would have helped. People react dangereously when panicked. Imagine a Mosque full of gun totters for a moment. A shooter would just need to walk in, spray a few rounds, walk out, and then let the whole place explode into a firefight as everyone tries to figure out who's shooting at whom.

Could you image the hissy fit the Trumpites would have with thousands of armed Muzzies wandering around? Das would stroke out immediately

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yeah, on CTV I heard them speak with a professor that is an "expert" on gun control.

First he pointed out that New Zealand let people own guns without registration. As if this guy would care if the gun was registered.

Then he expressed the "horror" Kiwis feel when in the USA when they see people with guns on their hip.

Well, it is a damned shame a few of the people in these mosques didn't have guns on their hip.

The prof is an idiot.
I heard one of the Mosque members was shooting back .

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Could you image the hissy fit the Trumpites would have with thousands of armed Muzzies wandering around? Das would stroke out immediately

When I lived in Quebec during the debate over the so-called Charter of Quebec Values, I was tempted to buy and wear a keffiyeh in public just to irritate all of the Islamophobes. And no, I don't profess Islam, but I won't deny that the keffiyeh could make a nice fashion accessory. :)

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I heard one of the Mosque members was shooting back .

It can take a while to figure out what's happening. In the Quebec case, they first thought there were two shooters. I guess they saw a second person leave and, not seeing him clearly, assumed he was a shooter too or something. Confusion reigns in these kinds of situations.

Likewise, the 'Muslim shooting back' could be a reflection in a mirror, hearing an echo from an opposite direction, etc. In a panic, memory can be worped and if you just see a quick glance of something, it's easy to let the imagination run wild.

I'm sure more information will be forthcoming.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Terrorism? Yes, obviously, by definition. But this guy was not a Christian.

There is nothing in Christianity that would instruct or encourage mass murder, much the opposite.

Not so with Islam.
And there you have it.

that is how you judge one billion people based on the actions of one.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
‘This is not a game’: Australian anchor offers powerful reflection on New Zealand mosque shooting

Waleed Aly, one of the hosts of the Australian news and current affairs show The Project, is himself Muslim and described to viewers being initially reticent to weigh in on the attack that killed 49 Muslims in two Christchurch mosques on Thursday night.

But Aly told viewers he felt an “overwhelming sense of responsibility” to speak about the violence and went on to describe both the fear he felt in response to the attack and the lack of shock that it happened at all given repeated similar incidents and the language used by politicians to “demonize particular groups.”

“While I appreciate the words our leaders have said today … I have something to ask. Don’t change your tune now because the terrorism seems to be coming from a white supremacist. If you’ve been talking about being tough on terrorism for years and the communities that allegedly support it, then show us how tough you are now,” he said, laying out several cases of anti-Islam comments by Australian political leaders in recent years.

“Now we understand that this is not a game, terrorism doesn’t choose its victims selectively, that we are one community and everything we say to try and tear people apart, demonize particular groups, set them against each other — that all has consequences, even if we’re not the ones with our fingers on the trigger.”

globalnews.ca/news/5059610/new-zealand-mosque-shooting-waleed-aly/

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
It tells me you think you know what most Muslims want. I suspect you don’t. I also suspect that the reasons that anybody would want to move to the US are precisely the things that Trumpites hate about the US.

No, everybody knows that Muslims want to immigrate to the US, that is why they were so angry when Trump made the great decision to ban travel from a number of Muslim countries.

They, the Muslims, know that the US is a great country and that Christian Americans will look after them once they arrive there.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
‘This is not a game’: Australian anchor offers powerful reflection on New Zealand mosque shooting
Waleed Aly, one of the hosts of the Australian news and current affairs show The Project, is himself Muslim and described to viewers being initially reticent to weigh in on the attack that killed 49 Muslims in two Christchurch mosques on Thursday night.
But Aly told viewers he felt an “overwhelming sense of responsibility” to speak about the violence and went on to describe both the fear he felt in response to the attack and the lack of shock that it happened at all given repeated similar incidents and the language used by politicians to “demonize particular groups.”
“While I appreciate the words our leaders have said today … I have something to ask. Don’t change your tune now because the terrorism seems to be coming from a white supremacist. If you’ve been talking about being tough on terrorism for years and the communities that allegedly support it, then show us how tough you are now,” he said, laying out several cases of anti-Islam comments by Australian political leaders in recent years.
“Now we understand that this is not a game, terrorism doesn’t choose its victims selectively, that we are one community and everything we say to try and tear people apart, demonize particular groups, set them against each other — that all has consequences, even if we’re not the ones with our fingers on the trigger.”
//globalnews.ca/news/5059610/new-zealand-mosque-shooting-waleed-aly/"]globalnews.ca/news/5059610/new-zealand-mosque-shooting-waleed-aly/[/URL]

Maybe it’s time this fool showed everyone how Muslims can fight their own battles and build good countries, not just shitholes, and show us how they contribute to countries they immigrate to.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If you want to know how this thing came to be just read one of our threads on immigration/refugees/Islam
God knows I can't
Maybe if you spent more time paying attention to your lessons and less time on the computer you would know how to read.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
No, everybody knows that Muslims want to immigrate to the US
Nonsense. There are billions of muslims worldwide and they don’t all want to immigrate to the US
...that is why they were so angry when Trump made the great decision to ban travel from a number of Muslim countries.
It wasn’t just muslims. Anybody that thinks governments should stop telling people what to believe or not believe found it distasteful. The Trumpite base want a Christian theocracy. Even many Christians oppose that
They, the Muslims, know that the US is a great country and that Christian Americans will look after them once they arrive there.
Christian Americans may but Trumpites won’t

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Most Muslims want to immigrate to Trumps country and leave their country, what does that tell you?
The US should stay in their own country and quit fukking up other countries so they would go anywhere. Give them the prison stats and most would take a war-zone.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Seems to me murder rampages carried out by White, Christian, Males (at least by affiliation) are treated differently that those carried out by Muslim, Middle Eastern, Men. The former are deemed to be agents of a civilizational colonial aggression, for which the press has assumed a societal guilt.. the latter are deemed to be the victims of such and therefor not the originators but reactors to an injustice.. In the latter there is always some sub text that the targets of the murders got what was coming.
You're right. The gol-dang libruls rose up to cheer the attacks on 11 Sep!

Imbecile.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
FOX News, as company policy, does not name the shooter. Good on them.