Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Most 'Indians' in the movies are blacks rather than they come from the First Nations. If the Feds wanted them to be having national exposure they would be. Suppression is the tone for the last 150 years and it will be the same for the next 150 years.
With the small budget that can be scrapped together they would be better off developing a on-line game that uses elements from their past, be it fiction, myth or fact based. The closer it is to the actual past the closer you are to having a record that will stay on the records as the older generations die and the stories they have go with them.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system | CBC News

If the Federal Government wants to cease all non-essential services on that day, by all means, but don't impose it onto the private sector: we have enough statutory holidays, thank you very much.

There's a reason veterans oppose making Remembrance Day a statutory holiday: they want to keep it a solemn day of remembrance and not make it an excuse to have drunken parties. Perhaps we should bear that in mind when considering whether to make this new day a nationwide statutory holiday. I could agree to all levels of government ceasing all non-essential services on that day though, but leave the private sector out of this.
its up to each province and territory what stats they give.

you are pretty hilarious.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Good let’s call it National Chug day and all get stupid drunk .

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
its up to each province and territory what stats they give.

you are pretty hilarious.

Provincial stat days do not apply to Federally-regulated institutions. I was speaking generally to include both federally and provincially-regulated institutions.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system | CBC News

If the Federal Government wants to cease all non-essential services on that day, by all means, but don't impose it onto the private sector: we have enough statutory holidays, thank you very much.

There's a reason veterans oppose making Remembrance Day a statutory holiday: they want to keep it a solemn day of remembrance and not make it an excuse to have drunken parties. Perhaps we should bear that in mind when considering whether to make this new day a nationwide statutory holiday. I could agree to all levels of government ceasing all non-essential services on that day though, but leave the private sector out of this.

Will they be destroying statues of former PMs on that day to be inclusive?

The government chose to make those arrangements with the churches. However, it's not private businesses but the government (as is often the case) that committed these crimes so we should leave the private sector out of it.

If the Federal Government insists on imposing this new holiday onto the private sector too, then the Government should at least have make this new holiday replace one of the presently-existing ones so as to keep the same number of holidays as we presently have.

In that case do it December 25.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I would go along with it IF Remembrance Day is made a mandatory Stat. Holiday before it.

Remember our Warriers. The F.N. people that I know (who admittedly are all Mohawk) would agree with that. I can't put words in the their mouths but I do know that the Warrier is a central part of their culture and they proudly serve in disproportionately large numbers on both sides of the border.

Honour our Warriors, first.

The Liberals never will, of course.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
NAFTA's a disaster, we have finally pissed off the Saudis, we're in a trade war with our biggest trading partner and the answer to all that is a holiday celebrating the residential school debacle.

Yes, yes, that's just what we need.

The Pander Bear Strikes Again.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I would go along with it IF Remembrance Day is made a mandatory Stat. Holiday before it.

Remember our Warriers. The F.N. people that I know (who admittedly are all Mohawk) would agree with that. I can't put words in the their mouths but I do know that the Warrier is a central part of their culture and they proudly serve in disproportionately large numbers on both sides of the border.

Honour our Warriors, first.

The Liberals never will, of course.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some veterans stood against the last attempt to make Remembrance Day a statutory holiday out of a concern that people would trivialize that day.

I just watched a CBC video on Youtube in which the AFN leader likewise is not necessarily pushing for it to be a statutory day off. This raises the question of what kind of holiday it might look like if not a statutory holiday.

I actually just sent the following e-mail to my MP which would let those who do want to take Remembrance Day as a statutory holiday the do so. I'll quote a part of it here:

I would like to propose an alternative to a National Day of Reconciliation: a total of nine statutory personal holidays per year that a worker could choose, in consultation with his employer, from among the Holy Days of the religion that he professes and any of the following state holidays:

1. World Religion Day (on the 3rd Sunday in January, in recognition of Canada’s indigenous religions),
2. New Year’s Day (on 1 January),
3. Louis Riel Day (on the 3rd Monday of February),
4. International Mother Language Day (on 21 February, in recognition of Canada’s indigenous languages),
5. Good Friday (2 days before Easter Sunday),
6. Easter Monday
7. Victoria Day [on the Monday preceding May 24th, in celebration of Queen Victoria (whom the Ojibwa referred to as the Great White Mother) and the relationship between the Canadian Crown and the indigenous peoples of Canada],
8. National Indigenous Peoples Day (on the summer solstice),
9. Canada Day (on 1 July),
10. The Civic Holiday (on the first Monday in August)
11. Labour Day (on the 1st Monday of September),
12. Thanksgiving Day (on the 2nd Monday of October),
13. United Nations Day [on 24 October, which the United Nations (which adopted the Universal Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples in 2007) recommended in 1971 that member states observe as a public holiday],
14. Remembrance Day (on 11 November),
15. Zamenhof Day (on 15 December, to celebrate the birthday of Dr. Zamenhof who was born in 1859 and who demonstrated a remarkable sense of universal justice and brotherhood for his time),
16. Christmas Day (on 25 December), and
17. Boxing day (on 26 December).

Even if a person does not profess any religion, he could still choose nine out of the above seventeen state holidays from in consultation with his employer.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I don't know if this is something that reflects the values of most Canadians.

Family Day, for example, is a holiday that most people can get behind but this seems like it was implemented by the government of the day just because it suits their agenda.

Wonder if the CPC would have a Corporation Day if they took office.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I don't know if this is something that reflects the values of most Canadians.

Family Day, for example, is a holiday that most people can get behind but this seems like it was implemented by the government of the day just because it suits their agenda.

Wonder if the CPC would have a Corporation Day if they took office.
Did they the last time?

I find it odd that Trudeau wants to make this a stat holiday when everyone and their dog knows that plenty of people use stat holidays as an excuse to get drunk. Somehow, I don't think this idea was thought all the way through. But then thinking things through isn't really Prince Bouncy Castle's strong suit. Or the rest of the Liberal party for that matter.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
You see? My point exactly. If we make it a statutory holiday, it would soon degenerate into an excuse for parties.
So what do you propose, WU? Making a law that states you can't party on a stat holiday. Get real. People will enjoy a day off in any why they choose.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
We should all get welfare for the day too.

What would the outrage be if they got deducted money for that day?

You think I'm a racist?

Better question yet is what is racist about it?

Racists do not support a FN Day.

I am deeply shocked.

No No I'm of the belief every hardship by every culture in Canada should have a National holiday to highlight their struggle of course it would have to be a non paid day off and calculated reduction in welfare.