Harper demands Mulcair apologize for Conrad Black ‘racism' suggestion

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Reoffending isn't the issue. Time served is.

Regarding immigration?

I read it was based on whether the offense is criminal or if the offender will re-offend.

Just going by what I've read in the papers though.

Could it be assumed that a man that never committed a crime will continue in that manner?

Of course. You can assume anything.

Whether or not it is a valid assumption is another matter entirely.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Regarding immigration?

I read it was based on whether the offense is criminal or if the offender will re-offend.

Whether or not it is a valid assumption is another matter entirely.

And that was my point.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Right.

And that's why we're trying to figure out if the methodology used by immigration is consistent.

The other fellow was convicted of a violent offence - caught 35 years later - turfed in 2008 - about 4 years have passed - Not 39 since conviction

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
"Demands" seems a little arrogant. Mulcair has a point and he should be entitled to it. Harper has a lot of opinions that go contrary to most Canadians but I don't hear him apologizing or justifying his position.

Exactly, and besides... didn't Conrad Black renounce his Canadian Citizenship back in 2001?

WyTF is he even allowed to be coming back to Canada to save his sorry ass from prison time?

I know some in here will get their titties in a twist over this, but Omar Khadr has more right to come back to Canada than he does, as he's still technically a Canadian Citizen.

Why the hell didn't he apply to get the UK to protect his ass?

Now there's a Canadian of Convenience...... oh wait.... he isn't, yet he's getting better treatment than most Real Canadian Citizens.

And what's worse is he's got Harper in his pocket to defend his fat, crusty arse to the point he's now making demands for Mulcair to apologize for talking smack about him.

I guess the Rich protect their own.

Gary Freeman had a wife and children still in Canada.... Conrad Black pissed off years ago and doesn't really have any similar ties in Canada except for his love of the Canadian Bureaucracy he can play with to get out of jail.

Maybe if I pass GO and collect $200, then hand that to Harper, I could get one of those cards too.

The bottom line is that Conrad Black is no longer a Canadian Citizen and the Canadian Government should have given him the middle finger when he asked to come to Canada to escape further prison time. Mulcair had a damn good point and it's explained very clearly in the OP.

Should he apologize?

No, he should pull his pants down, bend over and tell Harper to kiss his pucker in the next Question Period, that's what he should do.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
“It is a clear case of a double standard, one for an American black man from Chicago, another for a British white man coming out of federal penitentiary,” Mulcair said.

Mulcair doesn't know whether it's punched or bored. Three of the charges against Conrad Black have been reversed. Too bad you can't unserve jail time.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Actually come to think of it.... Didn't Harper himself say that if any Canadian was caught committing a crime in another country and found guilty, that he would leave them at the mercy of that country's laws & justice system?

Oh right.... I keep forgetting, Conrad Black isn't a Canadian anymore so that claim of Harper's doesn't apply, how silly of me.

Him having a criminal record should have been more than enough to have any residency application, be that permanent or temporary, rejected, regardless if it was a white collar crime or not.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It would be a good move that differentiates them from the stubbornness of the Conservatives.
Because they're the only stubborn politicians in Ottawa...:roll:

How long did this take?

I can see that, but then should Harper also apologize for his Hitler comment the week before?
Then you should for the past couple elections, non?

Not true. One of the requirements is the probability of a re-occurring offense.

I've pointed this out a few times already.
Yes you have, followed by a lot of hot air.

No - That is personal opinion - Really.
Yes it it is. When you do what he has, he tells you you're talking a lot of hot air. When he does it, well you know.

What made Freeman more likely to re-offend and Black less likely to re-offend?
Good question. Why don't you tell us why Black will re-offend.

Nothing like getting the staright dope from the Star or the Globe.

As you usually do.

Care to speculate on where Black was tried and served his time?
Damn, I really wanted to point that out, lol.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
You guys are so full of crap.

You cry foul because convicted killers (Ronald Smith) and terrorists (Omar Khadr) aren't coming back to Canada fast enough to do short time and be released, but whine about a media mogul who did his time and hurt your feelings.

Bunch a goddamned pissy moany crybaby hypocrites.

Mulcair is just another idiot NDPer tossing the race card. Figures.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You guys are so full of crap.

You cry foul because convicted killers (Ronald Smith) and terrorists (Omar Khadr) aren't coming back to Canada fast enough to do short time and be released, but whine about a media mogul who did his time and hurt your feelings.

Bunch a goddamned pissy moany crybaby hypocrites.

Mulcair is just another idiot NDPer tossing the race card. Figures.

Give 'em hell, RCS!

The idea that Conrad Black, born Canadian, noted author and historian on subjects Canadian, who has had a great influence on recent Canadian history, who only surrendered his citizenship at the insistence of a petty, vindictive, corrupt, nasty little man named Jean Chretien, and who is an Officer of the Order of Canada, should be compared to "Freeman", who SHOT A POLICE OFFICER, and who NEVER lived in Canada for a split second legally (and was thus in violation of Canadian law for decades) , and who was never a Canadian citizen ...........well, it boggles the mind!!!

Oh, and it was "racist".

RIGHT!

Mulcair is an idiot.

This is simply the first revelation of the fact.

Stay tuned.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The idea that Conrad Black, born Canadian, noted author and historian on subjects Canadian, who has had a great influence on recent Canadian history, who only surrendered his citizenship at the insistence of a petty, vindictive, corrupt, nasty little man named Jean Chretien, and who is an Officer of the Order of Canada, should be compared to "Freeman", who SHOT A POLICE OFFICER, and who NEVER lived in Canada for a split second legally (and was thus in violation of Canadian law for decades) , and who was never a Canadian citizen ...........well, it boggles the mind!!!

Oh, and it was "racist".

RIGHT!

Mulcair is an idiot.

Thank you for saying this before I could. It sums my thoughts on this, exactly.