Yellow Pages Ad: "Languages Spoken", in Vancouver


dumpthemonarchy
#1
In this ad by Yellowpages.ca, they have a line for Languages Spoken, they should omit that line. Customers in Vancouver should not have to wonder whether service staff speak English. This is more corporate sucking up to government sponsored multiculturalism that questions and divides the population. English is the language in BC for business.

Burnaby Hobbies - 5209 Rumble St, Burnaby, BC (external - login to view)
 
bobnoorduyn
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Простите! Я не ронемаю.
 
PoliticalNick
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduynView Post

Простите! Я не ронемаю.

You said it!!!!




Whatever it was???

Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

In this ad by Yellowpages.ca, they have a line for Languages Spoken, they should omit that line. Customers in Vancouver should not have to wonder whether service staff speak English. This is more corporate sucking up to government sponsored multiculturalism that questions and divides the population. English is the language in BC for business.

Burnaby Hobbies - 5209 Rumble St, Burnaby, BC (external - login to view)

Anyone from the west coast know there are many different languages spoken around town. I think it is good marketing and business to be able to offer service to those who are not proficient in english in their native language. It is about catering to the customer!

Obviously if you don't like it you have the option to not shop there.
 
eh1eh
#4
Unless BC is becoming a bigger nanny state than it already has become I would think people are 'free' to conduct 'private' business in any language they choose. Except in Quebec of course, but they're special.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#5
Reminds me how the media belives in bilingualism, insist that the PM be bilingual. but they cannot speak French. Fighting the good fight they say. Fake. Corporate fakeness. Oh, we are so global and openeminded, we are so grand.
 
PoliticalNick
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Reminds me how the media belives in bilingualism, insist that the PM be bilingual. but they cannot speak French. Fighting the good fight they say. Fake. Corporate fakeness.

I'm all for dropping the whole bilingual thing, wastes billions. A private business though is able to make its own decisions on how best to serve its customers. Nobody said you have to like it or shop there.

Quote:

Oh, we are so global and openeminded, we are so grand.

You are showing you are none of these!
 
dumpthemonarchy
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

I'm all for dropping the whole bilingual thing, wastes billions. A private business though is able to make its own decisions on how best to serve its customers. Nobody said you have to like it or shop there.

You are showing you are none of these!

You see, it's kind of redundant. This small retail store, likely only does business in English, like about 100% of them in Vancouver. I wonder if Yellowpages asks companies if they wish to have this choice, giving web browsers the idea that maybe they don't speak English at all. A line saying "Additional Languages" spoken might be more informative. Canada is officially a two language country, to assume a store may do business in neither of them violates well known facts. It creates a question where there was none before.
 
bobnoorduyn
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

You said it!!!!




Whatever it was???

Basically, "Sorry! or Excuse me! I don't understand". Pronounced, sort of, "Prasteetye! Ya nye panyemayoo."
Last edited by bobnoorduyn; May 4th, 2012 at 03:04 PM..
 

Similar Threads

8
Yellow Pages - paper or web?
by CBC News | Aug 1st, 2007
7
"Just In" on Vancouver News.
by Ten Packs | Jul 20th, 2005
no new posts