Shooting group accuses Ontario of 'breaking intent' of long-gun law

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Shooting group accuses Ontario of 'breaking intent' of long-gun law
Firearms officer's letter asks businesses to record names, addresses, phone numbers

The Canadian Shooting Sports Association is accusing Ontario's firearms officer of illegally asking business owners to record information about people who buy long guns.

The association said a letter from Ontario's chief firearms officer, superintendent Chris Wyatt, advises business owners who sell long guns to record buyers' names, addresses and phone numbers.

According to the CSSA, Wyatt writes that he believes collecting the information is in the best interest of public safety.

John Evers, president of the East Elgin Sportsmen’s Association and a regional director of the CSSA, called the practice illegal.

Evers, who is in Port Elgin, said collecting information about gun buyers flies in the face of Bill C-19, which struck down Canada's long gun registry in February and ordered the destruction of all data collected.

Evers said Wyatt should adhere to the federal government's decision.

"He is breaking the intent of the law, C-19," Evers said. "It's pretty bad when you have those who are supposed to uphold the law breaking the law, flagrantly saying, 'I'm going to disregard [it], because I don't believe it's right.'"

Evers said he'll lobby the government to stop any practice of collecting personal information about legal gun owners.

He said a better approach would be to track individuals who are prohibited from owning a gun.

Shooting group accuses Ontario of 'breaking intent' of long-gun law - Windsor - CBC News

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There is something missing here. You still have to have a license to own a long gun. Also have to have a FAC to purchase a rifle. The FAC number has to be recorded on the purchase so all that information other than the rifle serial number is known to big brother.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I was listening to the controversy surrounding this on power and politics last night, and the discussion between both sides was actually quite fruitful. It looks like the Ontario RCMP are taking the term "registration information" to apply strictly to the registration number. They have a lawyer to back them up on it, so we might be seeing an Ontario legal dispute some time soon.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
There is something missing here. You still have to have a license to own a long gun. Also have to have a FAC to purchase a rifle. The FAC number has to be recorded on the purchase so all that information other than the rifle serial number is known to big brother.

FAC's no longer exist, you either have a POL or PAL. A Possession Only License does not permit you to buy or otherwise aquire a firearm where a Possession and Aquisition License does.

The provincial firearms officers run their departments like small feifdoms. Ours here in NS has rules that do not exist in any legislation, for instance, you may not attend a shooting range or club more than three times in a 12 month period without becoming a member of a club. This practice does not exist in Alberta. You must also be a member of a shooting club in order to own or aquire restricted firearms, as far as I know, this also does not appear in any legislation. Don't even try to own a restricted firearm in Quebec without being a member of a club, they will not even entertain the idea that you are simply a collector, and use as defense is not a valid reason to aquire restricted firearms anywhere in this country, unless you're a cop or armoured truck personnel.

I bought a pistol in Saskatoon, dealt with the Edmonton Firearms Office, and got an Authorisation To Transport that covered 25 miles around Saskatoon, (so I took it to my buddy's farm and we went plinking), 25 miles around Toronto, and 25 miles around Halifax. To top it off, my bag didn't arrive on the same flight I took, it did arrive by taxi 4 nervous hours later.

I wanted an ATT to take my pistols to my cabin and was refused the first time. The second time it was granted without question. The whole firearms thing is a mess, now we have the RCMP in charge of the "registry" and they have been working overtime to get firearms they don't like re-classified as either restricted or prohibited. The fox is in charge of the chicken coop.