Dr. Seuss’s ‘Yertle the Turtle’ deemed too political for B.C. classroom

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Sounds about right in these uncertain offended times.

A Prince Rupert elementary teacher has been told a quote from Dr. Seuss’s Yertle the Turtle is a political statement that should not be displayed or worn on clothing in her classroom.
The teacher included the quote in material she brought to a meeting with management after she received a notice relating to union material visible in her car on school property.

The advice is in keeping with a 2011 arbitrator’s decision that found political materials must be kept out of B.C. classrooms, said Dave Stigant, who is acting director of instruction for the Prince Rupert School District and who met with the teacher to discuss what would and wouldn’t run afoul of district standards.

And while he conceded Tuesday that it might seem absurd to spend time reviewing quotes from, among others, Dr. Seuss and former Canadian prime minister John Diefenbaker, Mr. Stigant said the review is necessary to protect students from an often-bitter dispute.

“It’s a good use of my time if it serves the purpose of shielding the children from political messaging,” Mr. Stigant said. “I don’t consider it’s taking a stand on the dispute. It’s a matter of legality and living up to our obligation to children and their families.”

The quote in question – “I know up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here on the bottom, we too should have rights” – comes from Yertle the Turtle, the tale of a turtle who climbs on the backs of other turtles to get a better view.
In the midst of a labour dispute between the British Columbia Teachers’ Federation and the province, the quote was deemed unsuitable.

more nannyism and indignation

Dr. Seuss’s ‘Yertle the Turtle’ deemed too political for B.C. classroom - The Globe and Mail

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Let me add some perspective to this. When I was going to school in BC during the 70's, whenever there was a teachers dispute (and they happened quite often) the teachers would be preaching their side of things to the students the whole time. It was very disruptive. This is to ensure that the Teachers Federation doesn't start pulling the same shyte again.

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
Is One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish racist?
"Is One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish racist?"

Obviously.

Let me know what province you reside in, so that I can report you to the appropriate Human Rights Commission.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Let me add some perspective to this. When I was going to school in BC during the 70's, whenever there was a teachers dispute (and they happened quite often) the teachers would be preaching their side of things to the students the whole time. It was very disruptive. This is to ensure that the Teachers Federation doesn't start pulling the same shyte again.

Understandable reason but it's really sad when Dr Seuss needs to be 'banned' because grown men and women won't stop manipulating young children.

But I suppose expecting adults to be adult about things would be asking way too much.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Yertle the Turtle is political. I believe Dr. Zeus was referring to Hitler and Mussolini. The story is about absolute power, corruption and where it eventually leads.

Everyone one of his books had layers of meanings... which is why children should read them and high schools students should dissect them...

I am against teachers abusing their position to further an agenda.

I do support teachers using current events including their own labor dispute as a means to provoke thought and discussion.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Thank God they banned this story. We sure wouldn't want kids to reflect upon rights and justice!!!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Thank God they banned this story. We sure wouldn't want kids to reflect upon rights and justice!!!

Or to read articles before deciding what happened. They didn't ban the story, they said that the quote shouldn't be worn as an obvious part of the union material she was displaying.