Liberals call crucial budget vote for April 24; no deal with NDP yet

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
Liberals call crucial budget vote for April 24; no deal with NDP yet

TORONTO - The fate of Ontario's minority Liberal government will be put to the test next week.

The legislature will hold a high-stakes vote on the budget April 24.

It will be a nail biter, as the minority Liberals could be defeated, triggering another election.

They need at least two opposition votes to survive, but have yet to strike a deal with the NDP.

The Progressive Conservatives have already vowed to vote against the budget.

It's one of the last days to call a vote on the budget motion, according to the rules of the legislature.

Government house leader John Milloy says no one wants an election, and Ontario's fragile economy needs certainty and stability.

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
Ontario NDP drops push to cut HST from home heating - Toronto - CBC News

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
Ontario Liberals agree to NDP budget demands - Ottawa - CBC News

CDNBear
While the NDP rollover on the HST being applied to home heating.

Why I will never vote NDP.

When they have the chance to actually stand on principle. They fold. Simply because they know it will mean a Conservative gov't.

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

While the NDP rollover on the HST being applied to home heating.

Why I will never vote NDP.

When they have the chance to actually stand on principle. They fold. Simply because they know it will mean a Conservative gov't.

HST removal on home heating is an NDP principle?

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

HST removal on home heating is an NDP principle?

Maybe you should ease up on the 4/20 celebrations. It's messin' with your mind dude.

DaSleeper
+1
Helping families reduce costs
■Reinstating the Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP) and Affordable Housing Initiative, among other things, to provide more affordable housing for Canadian families.
■Initiatives aimed at promoting energy efficient homes and helping families cover the costs of heating their homes.
■Credit card interest rates of no more than 5% above prime.
■Implementing a variety of procedures to reduce the prices of prescription medication.
■National minimum wage.
■Variety of initiatives to encourage clean energy production and strengthen public transit.

Source New Democratic Party (NDP): Family, Parenting and Women's Issues | PhD in Parenting

CDNBear
That's the policy.

One of the principles Tommy espoused, was always "Standing up for the common man". Now it's "Standing up for the common man, only when it's politically expedient".

Here's where I'm coming from though...

It's time to tell Premier Dalton McGuinty the NDP won't back down on the wage freeze issue, urged Ryan.

"He's acting as if he has a majority government when in fact he does not, and I think that Andrea needs to call his bluff, put it to the test, see if McGuinty is willing to call an election," he said.

"We should call him on it and say we've got some core principles in the NDP and in the labour movement and we're not going to compromise just because Dalton McGuinty is threatening to call another election. If he does, let it be on his head."

Read more: Ontario NDP leader easily survives leadership review | CTV News

Sid Ryan, another reason I hate the NDP.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
Budget/Election. Either way, we're pretty much screwed.

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
McGuinty accedes to two NDP demands - The Globe and Mail

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation

McGuinty agrees to NDP tax-the-rich demand as budget vote looms - The Globe and Mail

CDNBear
+1
Awesome. Tommy would be so proud...

Still waiting for "Standing up for the common man"...

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

Please to be interpreted as "I want my frigging eight percent of my hydro back!"

Just a suggestion.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Of course he did. Everybody knew the power hungry scumbucket was going to cave. And he can't be that unhappy. Its a tax and he likes those.

Liberalman
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

McGuinty agrees to NDP’s

McGuinty caves into Whorrewath that 1PM meeting at Queens Park must have been a tense meeting.

Ms. Whorrewath made the rich become second class citizens I guess more of them will go out to redneck country to really make Ontario a have not province.
Last edited by Liberalman; Apr 23rd, 2012 at 04:29 PM..Reason: ......

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

McGuinty caves into Whorrewath that 1PM meeting at Queens Park must have been a tense meeting.

Ms. Whorrewath made the rich become second class citizens I guess more of them will go out to redneck country to really make Ontario a have not province.

No not really. I think Red Neck Country can also be defined as places you and your ilk gather.

B00Mer
Libertarian
When are the Libtards going to figure it out.. they need to join forces with the NDP!!!

I see a 2 party system for Canada, NDP and Conservatives.. I don't think the Liberals will really every climb back up to where they used to be.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

When are the Libtards going to figure it out.. they need to join forces with the NDP!!!

I see a 2 party system for Canada, NDP and Conservatives.. I don't think the Liberals will really every climb back up to where they used to be.

Based upon what. Their showing in PQ in the last election?

lone wolf
Free Thinker

I figure the Conservatives will splinter again. Harper's not 'right' enough for the more rabid sect.

When this Harris clone gets the boot, Ontario Conservatives may become palatable again....

B00Mer
Libertarian
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Based upon what. Their showing in PQ in the last election?

Liberal Party fails to grasp direness of their situation, nearly a year after collapse: Andrew Coyne | Full Comment | National Post

They just don't get it..

Liberal Party of Canada has more in common with the Conservative Party of Canada.. there is not much of a difference in their ideology.. they are not true left leaning.

Pro Business, NAFTA supporters.. and if you look at their track record with finances.. Federal level and Ontario, do you really want them in charge of the Government purse.

Most Liberals see this and have bailed the sinking ship for the NDP.

NDP is for the people.. Liberal Party of Canada are for themselves.

Goober
Free Thinker

Liberal Party fails to grasp direness of their situation, nearly a year after collapse: Andrew Coyne | Full Comment | National Post

They just don't get it..

Liberal Party of Canada has more in common with the Conservative Party of Canada.. there is not much of a difference in their ideology.. they are not true left leaning.

Pro Business, NAFTA supporters.. and if you look at their track record with finances.. Federal level and Ontario, do you really want them in charge of the Government purse.

Most Liberals see this and have bailed the sinking ship for the NDP.

True - and it is years before the next election.

CDNBear
+1

NDP is for the people..

Bullsh!t.

As we just saw in Ontario, they are all about themselves, while pandering to special interest groups.

B00Mer
Libertarian
Canada 1976, dollar above US Dollar, strong Manufacturing base... NO NAFTA..

Pro Business environment..

Canada's economy was the fastest-growing among the Group of Seven

Liberal Gov't at the time.. more left..

Goober
Free Thinker
+1

Canada 1976, dollar above US Dollar, strong Manufacturing base... NO NAFTA..

Pro Business environment..

Canada's economy was the fastest-growing among the Group of Seven

Odd how the NDP had no plans for cuts in a province that is on the way to losing their credit rating. Where electricity costs will soar over the next 5-10 years. Guess how much electricity manufacturers use. Lots. Guess where it is cheaper. South of Ontario.

B00Mer
Libertarian

Odd how the NDP had no plans for cuts in a province that is on the way to losing their credit rating. Where electricity costs will soar over the next 5-10 years. Guess how much electricity manufacturers use. Lots. Guess where it is cheaper. South of Ontario.

Remember, I just moved back to Canada from the USA and the prices for electricity are far, far less here in Canada.. thank God.

My bill is almost double in the USA.

Goober
Free Thinker

Remember, I just moved back to Canada from the USA and the prices for electricity are far, far less here in Canada.. thank God.

My bill is almost double in the USA.

Double, what Province compared to what State?

B00Mer
Libertarian
+1

Double, what Province compared to what State?

Texas to Alberta & BC.

New York State & California are the highest in the USA for power.

I think Canada should start on the path of developing eco-energy using solar, wind.. hell even the St Lawrence Rivers currents.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

Texas to Alberta & BC.

Well that explains it then. You're not paying my freaking hydro bill!!!!

Have I mentioned that I want my eight percent back, by the way?

Quote:

I think Canada should start on the path of developing eco-energy using solar, wind.. hell even the St Lawrence Rivers currents.

I think Dalton should give me my freaking eight percent back. I may have mentioned this already.

B00Mer
Libertarian
Quote: Originally Posted by GerryAView Post

Move to Quebec if want cheap electricity.

Not sure I want to move to a different country after just returning to Canada..

No jobs, have to learn French.. no thanks.

mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation

Who's Tommy?