Pictured for first time in UK, a golden eagle clutches a bloodied lamb its talons

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Pictured for the first time in the United Kingdom, a soaring golden eagle clutches a lamb in its talons.

The picture, taking whilst the huge bird of prey was swooping low over some mountains on the Isle of Mull in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland, is proof that the species is grabbing the lifestock of British farmers up in the country's sparsely populated north.

The huge bird, which has a wingspan of up to 8ft, became extinct in Britain in the early 19th Century but is being reintroduced to the wild along Scotland’s East and West coasts. A £900,000 plan to reintroduce them to England, and along the Suffolk coast, was scrapped last year in the Coalition Government's spending cuts.

The extraordinary photo was taken by a bird-watcher who does not want to be named as he fears that could identify the location of the eagles’ nests, and put the birds at risk from angry hill farmers.

He said: ‘I was visiting Mull with my wife and really wanted to see a golden eagle. I asked around and was directed to an area near Ben More (a 3,169 ft mountain whose name comes from the Scottish Gaelic "Beinn Mhòr", meaning "great mountain").

‘There were a few other cars parked close by and some eagles circling, possibly by an eyrie.

Suddenly this massive eagle swooped into view. We could see it was carrying something beneath it and my wife, who had binoculars, thought it was a white mountain hare.

‘As it got closer, I said to her, “That’s no hare, it’s a lamb”. It was a very unusual sight and a bit sad for the lamb but it’s nature, and that’s what happens. It’s certainly a sight that neither of us will forget.’

The lamb is likely to have been snatched from the 1,700-strong flock of Donald MacLean, who farms 10,000 acres on the island.

Shepherds on the Isle of Mull have long campaigned against the bird's reintroduction.

Jonnie Hall, head of rural policy at the National Farmers Union for Scotland, said: ‘It is an unequivocal fact that eagles do take live lambs. This is a major concern for hill farmers in western Scotland.’

The Isle of Mull is the fourth largest island in the UK, not including the mainland, with an area of almost 338 sq miles. Its 13th Century castle is surrounded by stunning scenery. Its capital is Tobermory, home to Mull's only single malt Scotch whisky distillery, also called Tobermory.

Swooping assassin: Pictured for the first time in Britain, a soaring golden eagle clutches a bloodied lamb in its razor-sharp talons - confirming farmers' worst fears for their flocks

By David Boffey And Jane Simpson
27th February 2011
Daily Mail

Swooping low over a mountainside, this magnificent but deadly golden eagle clutches a bloodied lamb in its talons.

This dramatic picture provides the first photographic evidence that the powerful birds of prey have been snatching livestock from British farmers’ flocks.

It was taken on the Isle of Mull, off the West coast of Scotland, where shepherds have long campaigned against the reintroduction of eagles which they see as a threat to their livelihoods.

Death from above: The golden eagle snatched the lamb on the Isle of Mull. This dramatic picture provides evidence that the powerful birds of prey have been snatching live-stock from farmers

Conservationists – who have not seen such direct evidence as this before – say the birds target only dead or weak animals. It is unclear whether the lamb was still alive in this photograph.

It was taken by a bird-watcher who does not want to be named as he fears that could identify the location of the eagles’ nests, and put the birds at risk from angry hill farmers.

He said: ‘I was visiting Mull with my wife and really wanted to see a golden eagle. I asked around and was directed to an area near Ben More.

8FT KILLING MACHINES THAT FLY AT 100MPH

A golden eagle has a wingspan of up to 8ft. Its body is up to 40in long,it weights up to 13lb and it can fly at 100mph.

They mate for life and can live for 30 years.

Victorians hunted them to extinction in the UK but in 1975 they were reintroduced to Scotland from Norway. There are 30 breeding pairs.

A £900,000 plan to reintroduce them to England, and along the Suffolk coast, was scrapped last year in the Coalition's cuts.

Special protection areas in Scotland were designated last year after evidence that farmers were poisoning eagles. These cover 850,000 acres of North and West Scotland and include Glen Etive, Glen Fyne and the Cairngorms Massif.

Hunters in Kazakhstan use tame golden eagles to catch foxes. The liver of the fox is given to the eagle as a reward.

The eagles kill large prey by dropping it from a great height. Tortoises are dropped on to rocks to crack their shells.

A lamb was seen headbutting a golden eagle who was trying to grab it, according to the Outer Hebrides bird report of 2009.

The Isle of Mull

‘There were a few other cars parked close by and some eagles circling, possibly by an eyrie.

Suddenly this massive eagle swooped into view. We could see it was carrying something beneath it and my wife, who had binoculars, thought it was a white mountain hare.

‘As it got closer, I said to her, “That’s no hare, it’s a lamb”. It was a very unusual sight and a bit sad for the lamb but it’s nature, and that’s what happens. It’s certainly a sight that neither of us will forget.’

The lamb is likely to have been snatched from the 1,700-strong flock of Donald MacLean, who farms 10,000 acres on the island.

Mr MacLean is unable to put a figure on how many animals a year he loses to eagles – although crofters in nearby Wester Ross have said that up to 200 lambs a season are killed by eagles.

He said: ‘This is a hugely significant photograph, catching the eagle in the act. It proves eagles are carrying off lambs, evidence that farmers need to make their point. The terrain is uncompromising and there are all sorts of reasons why we lose lambs. But they are white and easy to spot for the eagles.

‘On one occasion, two eagles were trying to take a lamb from its mother and were struggling. A third eagle came in to distract the ewe and one of the others got the lamb. They don’t show much mercy.’

Jonnie Hall, head of rural policy at the National Farmers Union for Scotland, said: ‘It is an unequivocal fact that eagles do take live lambs. This is a major concern for hill farmers in western Scotland.’

Golden eagles are native to Scotland. However, farmers are more concerned by the reintroduction of the only bigger British bird, the white-tailed eagle.

It became extinct in Britain in the early 19th Century but is being returned to the wild along Scotland’s East and West coasts.

Stunning: Not including the mainland, Mull is the UK's fourth largest island, famous for its soaring mountains, its whisky and its 13th Century castle, Castle Duart, the seat of Clan MacLean. Now, it's also home to golden eagles.

Swoop: The eagles have even been seen working in a pack to distract a ewe with a lamb

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I would pay good money to go have some fine lamb chops and sit in front of a picture window watching the birds pluck the lambs out of the flock, that sheep herder could turn some coin if he would open a feedery.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I would pay good money to go have some fine lamb chops and sit in front of a picture window watching the birds pluck the lambs out of the flock, that sheep herder could turn some coin if he would open a feedery.

Golden Eagles are huge, much bigger than Bald Eagles. I've only seen them a few times.

Video
Golden Eagle feeding an Eaglet
ARKive - Golden eagle video - Aquila chrysaetos - 09c

I'm on the Eagle's side.

In Canada, I believe farmers can apply for compensation...

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've seen some massive goldens in the desert of south western Sask. The Peregrins and Herriers run circles around them and even steal their prey right from their talons.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I've seen some massive goldens in the desert of south western Sask. The Peregrins and Herriers run circles around them and even steal their prey right from their talons.

Yeah...I used to watch a pair of peregrins hunt pigeons from the port grain elevator where I worked....in another life....almost made you feel bad for the pigeons!!!!!

Death from above.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
While the farmers should not suffer as a result of Eagles poaching their sheep, the best solution shouldn't involve killing eagles unless they are overly abundant.

The lamb was probably destined for lamb chops.

So this isn't a debate about saving lambs.

Ideally the farmers in the area should be able to profit from the presence of these magnificent birds. Increased tourism might help. A video camera on the nest, which broadcasts onto the internet with commercials could also generate revenue. Well fed birds Eagles tend to lay multiple eggs. Normally one eaglet dominates and kills the others. Farmers in the area should be harvest surplus eaglets to sell to public/private aviaries.

Yeah...I used to watch a pair of peregrins hunt pigeons from the port grain elevator where I worked....in another life....almost made you feel bad for the pigeons!!!!!

Death from above.

Really? I feel bad for the hungry peregrines when a pigeon gets away. I would have thought a firearms enthusiast would be on the side of the hunter, not the hunted.

I'm on the side of the Eagles. Unless they are overly abundant, they should be protected. I'd hope the farmers resist their urge to shoot them and instead consider ways to co-exist or even profit from the Eagles.

From the first post:
‘On one occasion, two eagles were trying to take a lamb from its mother and were struggling. A third eagle came in to distract the ewe and one of the others got the lamb. They don’t show much mercy.’
Sounds like the author became an expert in animal behavior from studying the movie Bambi.

I doubt Eagles share many human emotions. Look into the eye of a bird of prey and you will feel pure hunter's instincts. Mercy would be a flaw. These creatures must eat flesh or die. Its a very hard life and few fledgelings survive their first year.

Q: Out of twenty eaglets, how many will live to be adults?
A. This varies with the population in question. From our work releasing eagles in new york, about 2.5 adults would survive for every 20 ( 1 in 8 ). Mortality is highest for eagles in their first year of life, especially their first six months. The first winter is crucial. Some biologists (two studies)have estimated mortality as high as 72 % within one year of fledging (leaving the nest). Another study estimated that only 11 % of eagles were alive after 3 years of life. In general, we believe that only about 1 in 10 eagles survive to adulthood ( 5 yrs of age ).
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/www/critters/eagle/826572782.html

I used to live in Churchill Manitoba. We had to deal with Polar Bears which are known to stalk and kill people. Somehow we were able to coexist without killing polar bears on sight.

Bears that came into town were usually destroyed based on the judgment of conservation officers and the RCMP. When bears were trapped (live), they usually went to the polar bear prison, where they would remain until Hudson's Bay froze. In the fall, the bears would be treated by a vet and a dentist before being helicoptered to a remote location and released. Polar bears aren't a problem in the winter as they spend their time on the ice feeding on seals. Polar Bear Tourism is now an import part of Churchill's economy and attracts people from all over the world:
http://www.tundrabuggy.com/

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
The mid air strikes are the best.

Hard to get those lambs to fly to facilitate a mid air strike...........Unless you throw them off a cliff (sorry Cliffy), and the eagle gets'em on the way down.

They let little children (kids.........:roll:), walk around in Golden Eagle neighbourhoods?? Would certainly solve any overpopulation problem.

The "bloodied lamb in its talons" gets one's attention.

The whole thing is a bit eyrie.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I came across these images while researching Golden Eagles:

I wonder how much hunters would pay for an experience like this?

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Hard to get those lambs to fly to facilitate a mid air strike...........Unless you throw them off a cliff (sorry Cliffy), and the eagle gets'em on the way down.

They let little children (kids.........:roll:), walk around in Golden Eagle neighbourhoods?? Would certainly solve any overpopulation problem.

The "bloodied lamb in its talons" gets one's attention.

The whole thing is a bit eyrie.

Catapult.