Weight loss bad for you?

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I was reading through some medical journals on the topic of overweight/pre-obese (a BMI of 25-30/kg) because I feel I need to lose a few pounds, and I came across some interesting findings. According to some recent stuides, weight loss can be neutral or even bad for your health. The following article even draws a distinction between healthy obese individuals and unhealthy obese individuals. "Healthy obese" kind of seems like an oxymoron doesn't it?

Obese but healthy: Is weight loss detrimental?

What do you think? Is obesity ever just neutral?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Lemme see; John Candy, Luciano Pavarotti, Chris Farley, Christopher Rios, Elvis Presley, Carny Wilson, Al Roker, etc. could tell you. :) But, they're dead.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I was reading through some medical journals on the topic of overweight/pre-obese (a BMI of 25-30/kg) because I feel I need to lose a few pounds, and I came across some interesting findings. According to some recent stuides, weight loss can be neutral or even bad for your health. The following article even draws a distinction between healthy obese individuals and unhealthy obese individuals. "Healthy obese" kind of seems like an oxymoron doesn't it?

I don't think it is. I have a niece who is over weight. All her life she was slender and she looked good. Not too skinny - just about right until about 15 yrs. ago. She got married, got a career and she eats out a lot. She runs, she rides her bike (a lot). She is very sure of herself and by all appearances, she leads a happy healthy life. She is just overweight. Not grossly overweight. The kind that doesn't make her face look too fat and she's never had any children so she doesn't seem to carry the same kind of tummy fat that many women do. But - her arms, her legs, shoulders and even her tummy seem to be so much bigger than they should be for someone who has not had children, exercises and seems to have little stress in her life. You would think that she must be healthy since she doesn't smoke, doesn't do drugs, and she exercises. I think that she appears to be healthy even though she is overweight. I don't think she necessarily is healthy because she eats out all the time. Fat food!
I think that if we eat wrong, one day it will come back to bite us.
I have a son. He is 100 pounds over weight. I've said on here before that everytime he goes for a physical, his doctor tells him everything is fine. Like his cousin, he doesn't smoke, doesn't do drugs and until a month ago, he only got exercise such as playing ball or volleyball. He turns 40 next week. A couple of months ago, I told him I was concerned about him. I've told him before but he always cited what his doctor told him. I never planned my chat with him. It just popped out. I told him I realized that all his health check levels were fine but - I was sure that his weight had to be taxing his heart. Then I reminded him that his Gramma (my Mom) had her first heart attack when she was 47. She was somewhat overweight, she smoked and while she never exercised, she worked harder around the yard and things than I do or than my son does. He didn't really say anything to me. I have no idea if what I said helped him to make his next move. He now goes to Boot Camp (aka Biggest Losers Club). As of last Sunday, his scale weight had dropped 27 pounds. When he was measured with the calipers, he's lost the equivalent of 39 pounds. (inches). He still has a long way to go but he's feeling much better. He's looking much better. As a little gesture of "family", his brother, his Dad and myself have all looked at our diets and we've backed off. We're losing weight. Not at the rate he is because he is exercising hard - daily. I believe we will all be better off for it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Uh... It's not death. It's having a show on The Weather Channel.
hhmmm Someone fed me bad info. I thought he was dead. Well, anyway, the others are dead and their deaths were obesity related.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Any 90 year old I've ever seen was 'never' overweight.

The obese ones are all 6 ft. under by then, at least thats
the way I see it.

I used to visit my mom in the seniors residence for years,
never saw a heavy person there, she was there till she
died at 87, she was a normal size, and there were many
there older than she, all looked normal size, no fatties.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
MIL is about 240 and she's only 5'1" maybe. She'll be 90 in Oct.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

There are exceptions to every rule. Some facts you should keep in mind- fat by comparison doesn't weigh a lot, bone and muscle do. I think physical fitness is more important than weight. A good example might be that Byfuglen on the Blackhawks, he's a huge sucker but probably very healthy. I also suggest that there is a big difference between being genetically big than being gluttonly big. Gluttonly big is not healthy. Apparently 10-15 lbs. overweight in more healthy than being right on the mark as it gives you something to fall back on should you get really ill.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
MIL is about 240 and she's only 5'1" maybe. She'll be 90 in Oct.
Does she smoke cigars and drink Brandy? I saw an interview with a woman in France who was about 115 and she said she attributed her longevity to Brandy and cigars. She wasn't the only one I hear say that. I think George Burns was another one.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
One thing I've thought a lot about as I walk a lot (30-40 miles a week) is people who say their obese weight can't be helped. I have yet to see anyone who does a lot of walking to be fat (obese), so I think that statement is bullsh*t. I sure question the ethics of these doctors who surgically reduce people, instead of telling them to get off their ass and start walking. Now you are not going to get the likes of John Candy suddenly doing 5 miles a day but there's no reason why he can't do 1/4 mile for a week and then 1/2 a mile for a week and over a period of a year or two work up to 5 miles a day. 10,000 steps is the recommended figure for good health. Of course a lot will tell you they don't have the time, but how much time will they have after they drop dead at 50?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Does she smoke cigars and drink Brandy? I saw an interview with a woman in France who was about 115 and she said she attributed her longevity to Brandy and cigars. She wasn't the only one I hear say that. I think George Burns was another one.
No.
But then I think there is more to longevity than a couple things. People have died from tobacco reltaed illness a lot earlier than their 90s. Same with booze. There is genetics, occupation, personality, etc. involved, also.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I think the brandy and cigars was besides the point, Cliff, I'll bet for sure they had good genes.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If you are in your fifties and are slightly overweight, your chances of dying during the next ten years are 20% to 40% higher than if you were not overweight at all, according to two new studies, one carried out in South Korea and the other in the USA.

Being Slightly Overweight Raises Risk Of Death
Walking across a busy street during rush hour would be pretty risky to. A lot of health problems would improve with an attitude change. People who think positively and are enthusiastic about life live longer (unless they get run over on a busy street at rush hour.:lol:)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Walking across a busy street during rush hour would be pretty risky to. A lot of health problems would improve with an attitude change. People who think positively and are enthusiastic about life live longer (unless they get run over on a busy street at rush hour.:lol:)
Well, yeah. I am talking about non-accident related issues.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Didja know that turning the thermostat down a few degrees can help you lose weight?
BAT makes you burn calories. BAT is brown adipose tissue (good fat).

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
In order to lose weight, I drink lots of ice cold beer. It takes my body lots and lots of calories to bring the temperature of the beer up to temperature of the rest of my body.

Excercise? No way! When one excercises, the heart beats faster. And as we all know, the good Lord only gave us just so many heart beats to last in our life time. Why waste them and use them up faster?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In order to lose weight, I drink lots of ice cold beer. It takes my body lots and lots of calories to bring the temperature of the beer up to temperature of the rest of my body.

Excercise? No way! When one excercises, the heart beats faster. And as we all know, the good Lord only gave us just so many heart beats to last in our life time. Why waste them and use them up faster?

You're right on all counts except one, doing strenuous exercise for one hour a day raises the heart rate, but that strengthens the heart and subsequently it beats slower for the other 23 hours. :smile:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It is not so much that weight loss is bad for the obese but more how they loose weight. Fad diets can kill you. Just staying away from junk food, limit your intake of yeast and wheat gluten and regular exercise will do wonders. Not strenuous exercise, just moving around.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You're right on all counts except one, doing strenuous exercise for one hour a day raises the heart rate, but that strengthens the heart and subsequently it beats slower for the other 23 hours. :smile:

absolutely correct, the heart is a muscle,

keep it 'fit' just like your legs, arms, back, etc.

your heart has to pump your blood all of your life, and

it should be strong, and it stays that way from exercise

and proper food.