Giant Beaver Dam

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
'visible by sattelite.'

So what? So is my yard, and I guarantee, it's not impressive. 'Visible from space' needs a bit of qualification in the day and age where newsprint can be seen from satellites.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I wanna see the dam! Ed. Journal is nasty that it tells about something highly visible and withholds pics. sheeeesh

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

The dam is located on the southern edge of Wood Buffalo National Park in Northern Alberta, Canada Photo: BNPS

The world's biggest beaver dam, found in a remote area of northern Alberta, using satellite imagery and Google Earth. Photo: AFP

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Beavers are so cool. You just have to admire their determination and perseverance, no matter the trouble they cause.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I remember reading an anecdote about beaver dam. A farmer found a beaver dam n his backyard one day. He brought over pick shovel, ax etc and broke up the dam. He forgot his tools in the back yard. Next day he came to the back yard, the beaver dam was fully rebuilt, it was like new, with one difference. The pick, shovel, ax, spade etc., the tools that the farmer forgot in the back yard, were now part of the beaver dam, they were built into the dam.

Incidentally there is a large beaver dam in McGregor Point Provincial Part in Ontario, it has formed a rather large lake and influenced the ecology of a large region surrounding it. They have built a tower from which the effects of the beaver dam may be viewed.