Germany: 15% of its work done. Canada: still in REM sleep.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Would you like to see a glimpse of the future? A few Canadians already have. And even General Motors is taking a second look at the future after dismissing it as a fantasy.

Canada in general? Stumbling backwards into the future:

The Gospel of Green - Video | CBC News: the fifth estate

The Gospel of Green - Interview: Dr. Herman Scheer | CBC News: the fifth estate

By the way: Les's and my cost for going off-grid will be paid for in October; about 2 years after initial investment in alt.energy.

There's a little incentive in BC:

SolarBC Incentives Double Up | BC Sustainable Energy Association

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Unfortunately it takes a long time to see any savings from going green. I have had solar hot water for 6 years now, and still am not ahead of the game. I don't regret doing it though.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Unfortunately it takes a long time to see any savings from going green. I have had solar hot water for 6 years now, and still am not ahead of the game. I don't regret doing it though.
About 2 years for us, as I mentioned. And it is even better if you have a gov't like Germany who lightens the financial load.
But Canada? Canada likes incentives for big business, but screw the average Joe Lunchbucket. As long as we are consuming and paying taxes, that's the main thing.
We use between 110 and 115 GJ per year at a cost of about $3500 or so. It cost us about $7000 for the microhydro and the solar gear. Maintenance is a very small cost.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I watched that last night. Different world altogether over there.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I watched that last night. Different world altogether over there.
Exactly. People over there seem to accept that oil energy is a lot more limited than the sun and wind's energies and then move on to find more lasting and cleaner forms. In the meantime, our North American gov'ts keep promoting oil and the market in it. Like I said, it is like we are stumbling backwards into the future.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Germany. The country with 65 weeks of vacation every year. Where, if you're not a PHD in engineering, you'll never work in management in any factory. The place where, if a customer has an emergency breakdown, the response is, 'well, you should have thought of that and ordered parts - it'll be 6 or 8 weeks before we can get you any parts'.

Yes, Germany is a fun place to deal with. As long as it's not Friday afternoon, because they always go home on Friday at noon. Or January, they all seem to be on vacation that month. Or August, they seem to be on vacation then, too.

Oh, and by the way, if it's not invented by a German, it's no good, so don't ask about it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Germany. The country with 65 weeks of vacation every year. Where, if you're not a PHD in engineering, you'll never work in management in any factory. The place where, if a customer has an emergency breakdown, the response is, 'well, you should have thought of that and ordered parts - it'll be 6 or 8 weeks before we can get you any parts'.

Yes, Germany is a fun place to deal with. As long as it's not Friday afternoon, because they always go home on Friday at noon. Or January, they all seem to be on vacation that month. Or August, they seem to be on vacation then, too.

Oh, and by the way, if it's not invented by a German, it's no good, so don't ask about it.
So name me a country that's perfect. Anyway, what you say here is irrelevant. Germany has succeeded in developing alternative energies to a large degree while North America sits back pulling its pud. Germany is progressing and we are lounging around in our oil bath and getting fat and useless and whining about Germany.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Germany. The country with 65 weeks of vacation every year.

So when they are working, they must be the most productive people on earth to make up the difference. Pretty sweet deal to have a year long vacation, every 10 and a half months and still be the fourth largest economy in the world!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I wonder if you guys have ever dealt with a manufacturing plant in Germany. I do, on a weekly basis. It's fun to worship from afar, as long as you don't have to rely on that for a living, or for life.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I wonder if you guys have ever dealt with a manufacturing plant in Germany. I do, on a weekly basis. It's fun to worship from afar, as long as you don't have to rely on that for a living, or for life.
Nope. I have a couple of things that annoy me about Germans, but they are as irrelevant to the topic as your whining is.
Basically you seem to be saying that we shouldn't think progressively because the Germans are jerks. How very mature.:roll: "oh, I don't wanna eat potatoes because Willie Pickton likes potatoes". lmao

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

At the same time, I imagine you don't work with all the many different industries across Germany. Can you say what type of manufacturing it is that you deal with in Germany? The company I work for has manufacturing in Germany. My Director is a German, and he doesn't suffer from a superiority complex.