To Boldly Stay!

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Now that the Obama administration has pulled the fuse from the American Candle pointed at our own Miss Luna, like, who's going to go? I remember the excitement when Armstrong muffed his line from Mare Tranquillitatis (or somewhere in Arizona). Jeepers, those were the days!

Has something stalled in Manifest Destiny? Or, were all those Westerns, portraying wagon trains and the cavalry striking out to tame the frontier and kick out the indigenous and Latinos alike, exaggerating the spirit of adventure?

Or, perhaps the wiser among us know that space travel is sheer poppycock? The distances are too large! It takes too long! We'll never attain the technology! Why, if it were possible, don't you think some other civilization would have been poking around our skies, chewing on a few hapless range crawlers?!

Nevertheless, I'd like to see some other nation take up the challenge! If nothing else, it's great TV! But can you really trust the Russians, Indians, Chinese, or, choke, the Old Europeans "to boldly go"?

Hmmm....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I can think of a few reasons to continue with the space program, mostly for the pure science and products that come from it. Important things like Velcro.
If we wait long enough some other civilization will find us and with a bit of luck bring us along the tech future and not treat us as a science project on regressive societies.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
In terms of cost robot landers and robot space exploration vehicles are much more cost effective. They cost a good deal less to build, avoid the risk to human life, and can stay on a mission for years. NASA would be better advised to put its cash into the perfection of machines for space exploration rather than continue with more manned missions.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I still don't understand why we,or any one for that matter,should spend uncountable baskets of money to send junk to space.Someone care to tell me what the benefit to society in general is.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I think we have "bigger fish" to contend with for the next little while.

yea i agree, but in thought it would be cool....

I was reading also we would have trouble launching shuttles in space, because of the angle of the surface of the earth we are at at this latitude....

Last edited: