Gates to Donate $10 billion for Vaccine Reaserch

darkbeaver
Gates to Donate $10 Billion for Vaccine Research

Friday, January 29, 2010

DAVOS, Switzerland The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will donate $10 billion over the next decade to research new vaccines and bring them to the world's poorest countries, the Microsoft co-founder and his wife said Friday.
Calling upon governments and business to also contribute, they said the money will produce higher immunization rates and aims to make sure that 90 percent of children are immunized against dangerous diseases such as diarrhea and pneumonia in poorer nations.
"We must make this the decade of vaccines," Bill Gates said in a statement. "Vaccines already save and improve millions of lives i

darkbeaver
the poor will be their own experiment

karrie
An impressive chunk of change. What is that... the interest from his bank accounts? lol.

EagleSmack
Wow...10 Billion. Why isn't he in charge?

AnnaG
It isn't Gates donating, it's his foundation. lmao

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

It isn't Gates donating, it's his foundation. lmao

That he funds, and speaks for. How is that not Gates exactly?

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

That he funds, and speaks for. How is that not Gates exactly?

Well, I don't know about his foundation, but I can think of a few that have many members that contribute, Shakira Mebarak's foundation to feed the poor kids in Colombia, for instance. I didn't know it was all just his money.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

the poor will be their own experiment

Yep. It's hard to test drugs that keep you from ****ting yourself to death in countries that don't have the problem.

karrie

Well, I don't know about his foundation, but I can think of a few that have many members that contribute, Shakira Mebarak's foundation to feed the poor kids in Colombia, for instance. I didn't know it was all just his money.

From everything I've heard about it, it's Gates' money.

EagleSmack

The Gates Foundation is a place where...I am guessing... that he can put his billions and not get taxed like crazy. Many sports figures have foundations and donate to charities. Cam Neeley Foundation, Drew Bledsoe Foundation. I am betting it is a place to put money, donate to charity, and keep the government hands off their money for the most part.

petros
Quote:

"We must make this the decade of vaccines," Bill Gates said in a statement. "Vaccines already save and improve millions of lives"

How about making it the decade of clean water supply? Diarrhea and pneumonia are a side effect of bad water.

AnnaG

From everything I've heard about it, it's Gates' money.

Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

The Gates Foundation is a place where...I am guessing... that he can put his billions and not get taxed like crazy. Many sports figures have foundations and donate to charities. Cam Neeley Foundation, Drew Bledsoe Foundation. I am betting it is a place to put money, donate to charity, and keep the government hands off their money for the most part.

Ok.

Anyway, better that research gets the $10 B than some wasteful gov't, IMO.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

How about making it the decade of clean water supply? Diarrhea and pneumonia are a side effect of bad water.

Maybe because even developed countries can't always guarantee a safe water supply? We're a prime example (although we don't like to talk about that hey?). So, what can you do to prevent kids from croaking when a disaster takes away their clean water?

AnnaG

Preventative medicine is much better than reactionary medicine. yup.

EagleSmack

Ok.

Anyway, better that research gets the $10 B than some wasteful gov't, IMO.

I agree with that opinion! That is why I said he should be in charge.

Risus
10 billion is just pocket change for him and a tax writeoff. Where was he in helping Haiti?

karrie
They've given 1.5 million worth of grants to relief organizations in Haiti so far.

edited to add... and they apparently give to emergency relief organizations on a regular basis, but don't give out numbers on that.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by RisusView Post

10 billion is just pocket change for him and a tax writeoff. Where was he in helping Haiti?

I just checked...the Gates Foundation has given 1.5 Million to Haiti relief thus far.

EagleSmack

They've given 1.5 million worth of grants to relief organizations in Haiti so far.

You beat me to it!

karrie
lol. funny.

petros

Maybe because even developed countries can't always guarantee a safe water supply? We're a prime example (although we don't like to talk about that hey?). So, what can you do to prevent kids from croaking when a disaster takes away their clean water?

Boil it or eat fruit for water until the filtre is fixed. it how it's been done for millions of years.

karrie
Gee, why hasn't anyone told disaster victims or the poor that before?

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

I just checked...the Gates Foundation has given 1.5 Million to Haiti relief thus far.

OK, thanks for letting us know!

AnnaG

Boil it or eat fruit for water until the filtre is fixed. it how it's been done for millions of years.

They've been fixing filters for millions of years? Modern humans have only been around for about 250, 000. Water filters for not even that longs. lol