Core blimey! Gardener discovers a new type of apple in her back garden

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
When Margaret Butcher moved into her home in Norwich, Norfolk five years ago, she came across an apple tree in her garden.

Many times since she has eaten the apples and noticed that they taste differently from other apples.

Nobody was able to identify the type of apples that they are, so she took one to the National Fruit Collection in Faversham, Kent, a county known as the Garden of England.

Experts said that it is a new variety of apple and allowed Mrs Butcher to give it a name.

She called it the Lakenham Glory after the part of Norwich where she lives.

Britain has over 2000 varieties of apples - and they are the best in the world.

Core blimey! Gardener discovers a new type of apple in her back garden

By Claire Bates
14th October 2009
Daily Mail

She knew they tasted good in chutney and pies. But what Margaret Butcher had no idea of was the name of these distinctively coloured apples from a tree in her garden.

And nor did the experts, because she has in fact discovered a new variety.

Miss Butcher, 63, came across the tree when she moved into her home five years ago. She said she found the fruit tasted different to other apples.

Enlarge
New discovery: Margaret Butcher, pictured outside her Norwich home with a couple of Lakenham Glory apples

No one was able to identify them so she took one to the National Fruit Collection in Faversham, Kent, which is home to around 2,200 varieties of apple.

Experts confirmed it as a new variety and allowed Miss Butcher, as the finder, to give it a name.

She called it The Lakenham Glory, after the part of Norwich where she lives.

The British are lucky in having the world's finest apples. There are over 2,300 varieties of dessert and cooking apples and over 100 cider apples in Britain. These include Cornish Gilliflower, Coe's Golden Drop, Cox's Orange Pippin, Pineapple Russet, Laxton's Superb, Orleans Reinette, Blenheim Orange, Bramley's Seedling, and Worcester Pearmain. The Costard Apple gave its name to the "costermongers", street sellers of fruit and veg in British cities. And, according to legend, whilst Sir Isaac Newton was sitting under a tree in Cambridge an apple fell on his head and he suddenly thought of the Universal Law of Gravitation.

Ms Butcher said: 'It's nice to have a home-grown Norfolk apple which they say is a very nice apple.'

But what she hadn't realised is that every apple tree grown from a pip is classed as a new variety.

The Lakenham Glory is a dessert apple ideal for jams

Sally Rogers from the National Fruit Collection said: 'If you plant three seeds from a Cox tree and they come up, none of them will be the same variety of tree. To get the same variety you must take a graft.

'There are thousands of varieties out there but what is unusual here is that the apples from Ms Butcher's tree are shop worthy.

'Our expert said she has been very lucky and has grown a very good tasting apple and has a good size.'

Miss Butcher said the apple is a dessert apple which tasted not unlike a Cox.

'It goes well in chutney and works well in pies, she said.

'It's slightly waxy so polishes up beautifully.'

The former secretary said she and her neighbours have enjoyed the apple for years - eating it and even making jams and wine with the fruit which appears on her tree between August and November.

But she hopes that the find will enable her to find someone to take the apple on and ensure that it becomes a household name for future generations to enjoy.

'Hopefully someone will be interested in taking it on and turn it into a marketable item,' she said.

Five of the best apples from Norfolk

1) Introduced in 1905 the Norfolk Royal Apple is a sweet old-fashioned apple with a delicate melon flavour. It was found as a chance seedling at Wright's Nurseries at North Walsham in 1908. It is in season between September and December.

2) The Norfolk Royal is an attractive early 20th century red dessert apple. It is a sweet-flavoured apple which was found growing in the garden of Rev C Wright at Burnham Overy Staithe and introduced in 1983. It is s in season between September and December.

3) Adams Pearmain, introduced in 1826, is an old-fashioned late dessert apple, one of the most popular varieties in Victorian England, probably originating from Norfolk. It has an attractive 'pearmain' shape with a nutty-sweet flavour. It is in season from November and March.

4) Norfolk Biffins, or Beefings, are round, slightly flat, apples about three inches across and two and a half inches high. The skin is yellow-green, but with brown-purple and dark red streaks. Inside, the flesh has a green tint, is crisp, and is said to have a hint of the flavour of cinnamon.

5) The New Costessey Seedling, a dessert apple, was planted by George Fayers at New Costessey, near Norwich in 1926.

dailymail.co.uk

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
:roll:
Yawn. sheeesh, Mr. Leaf, maybe you should paint a tree blue or something. Make some news of your own. Seems to be an off day for you.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Wow, this is the greatest news to come out of the Norman province of La Petite Bretagne since they declared war on the boars! Or, was that bores, no that can't be right either...

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
And, for the benefit of us colonials, shouldn't you've spelt "Cor blimey" correctly, or at least have used "God blind me!" as an epithet so we'd've understood?

Hmmm...., maybe "core" is a pun on apple? Hey this story has hidden meaning!

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The new discovery looks much like a cross between our Honey Crisp and a Gala. The other one just looks like a Spartan.
It's nice that they grow so many apples so I wonder why they import so many of our Red Delicious? This I know because my brother - an orchardist, states that our best red delicious apples go to Britain.
Do you like Honeycrisp Apples? They are big and they cost about $2.00 per apple. I've never tasted one because I don't think any apple is worth that much.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've never tasted one because I don't think any apple is worth that much.
The apples never got high in price but the land they are grown on did. You've seen the same devistation of the orchards that I have and I fail to see how the loss of such food stock is considered growth. It's sad when the romance of a region is so exploited for capital gain that the initial romance gets killed off by greed.

Back to apples.....I take it you are a fan of the reds too? If everyone could taste an apple right off the tree they fight to keep the orchards from being levelled for monster homes.

Lets hope Ms. Butcher isn't over run by real estate developers.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We have Gravensteins here. Tasty lil buggers. I also like Macs, transparents, Granny Smiths, or Spartans for pies. Red delicious are ok for eating, too but I like golden delicious more. Not impressed with Galas.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The apples never got high in price but the land they are grown on did. You've seen the same devistation of the orchards that I have and I fail to see how the loss of such food stock is considered growth. It's sad when the romance of a region is so exploited for capital gain that the initial romance gets killed off by greed.

Back to apples.....I take it you are a fan of the reds too? If everyone could taste an apple right off the tree they fight to keep the orchards from being levelled for monster homes.

Lets hope Ms. Butcher isn't over run by real estate developers.
Yes - red delicious are my favs but the true red delicious apple no longer exists. The real red Del. looked more like a gala but people liked the look of the deep red peel so they've been "over bred" so to speak and while they are still good, they are no where near the apple they were 30 years ago. Sadly, much of the Keremeos/Cawson area has been turned into housing projects for retired people. Tiny little town, cheap place to live and not far from a city - Penticton. It amazed me that that happened there because I could never understand why anyone would want to live there other than orchardists but it seems they do.
I guess people in California would probably say that about their oranges too regarding the "right off the tree" taste. There is no apple quite like one pulled from a tree by the roadside is there?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
We have Gravensteins here. Tasty lil buggers. I also like Macs, transparents, Granny Smiths, or Spartans for pies. Red delicious are ok for eating, too but I like golden delicious more. Not impressed with Galas.
Galas are the best selling apple. Spartans and Macs that are selling now are new this year so they are at their best. Spartans are more popular than Macs. Macs are too soft and they don't keep well. I bake apple pie with red del. because they stay a little on the firm side. I don't like apple pie that is like apple sauce and I don't like Granny Smith Apples - not sweet enough. They are a popular cooking apple. I've never heard of Gravensteins before. I know we don't sell them.
Last year we had quite a variety of apples in the store and a woman came to my counter with a few apples. I was quite sure that I recognized them but not wanting to charge her for the wrong apple, I asked her what kind of apples she had. Her brilliant response was "just everyday apples". The anwer I like best is "the ones that are on your left as you walk through the front door"!!!! 8O

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Galas are the best selling apple. Spartans and Macs that are selling now are new this year so they are at their best. Spartans are more popular than Macs. Macs are too soft and they don't keep well. I bake apple pie with red del. because they stay a little on the firm side. I don't like apple pie that is like apple sauce and I don't like Granny Smith Apples - not sweet enough. They are a popular cooking apple. I've never heard of Gravensteins before. I know we don't sell them.
Last year we had quite a variety of apples in the store and a woman came to my counter with a few apples. I was quite sure that I recognized them but not wanting to charge her for the wrong apple, I asked her what kind of apples she had. Her brilliant response was "just everyday apples". The anwer I like best is "the ones that are on your left as you walk through the front door"!!!! 8O
And the best selling vehicles used to be GM products but I get uncomfortable in their seats during long drives. I still am not impressed with Galas. I like tart apples like Macs and GS's.
Gravensteins are antique. Came from Europe like 90 million years ago. I'll see if I can dig up something on them. brb

Came from Denmark in the 1600s apparently:

Gravenstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia