Ontario's Wind Energy Paranoia

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
What's going on here folks.?

Within 100 square miles of my county I think I may find 2 "dime store" CT wind generators, and maybe in the back woods stumble on a serious "dutch" sized monster if I look for a long time.

Ontario is setting out regulations for wind generation. One such legislation seems to favor Ontario Hydro than to have the purpose outlined in law. It proposed a setback of 500 ft for one rig systems. Apparently some claim a noise problem or some other trumped up excuse. This immediately wipes out any small land holders from ever putting up a serious wind power system, has you would need at least 3 acres to cover that distance, and, that's just to get you the needed distance from your home, then you would need an additional 500 ft of clear run to the neighbor's place.

What do I think is going on? I think Ontario Hydro is tweaking the regs in hopes to tap into future alternate power use. The key element is voltage drops. Once you pace off your 500 ft limit from your house, you immediately remember that you get a substantial voltage drop for every 100ft to your inverter and battery banks. (OH takes care of this problem by using booster transformers.) And when you additionally add that total to losses at your inverter you discover the generator's power is lost just getting the power to the inverter shed, not to mention 500 ft of trench digging and PCV pipe cost to bury that line.

So what is your next option OH hopes for.? It hopes you eye the hydro lines and come up with the idea of tapping into the power lines which are just the right distance from your tower, and it sells back what you need for your own use minus your power contribution from your rig. Benefits? They maintain control and let you know the figures, ...yup, it sounds familiar,....back to the 'ole meter system which you were trying to get away from all along.

That's not all, apparently, ahemm, get this...., there is the issue of bird and bat problems. I think they should take a que from our Dutch geniuses and see if they are teary eyed at the few albatroses or gulls they lose. Why stop at birds, cars should be taken off the roads too because of the occasional accident; we should have a zero tolerance level here too. Seriously though, you will note statistics are not needed for the info hungry voter who knows nothing about wind power, and Ontario(for Hydro) plays this method for all it's worth.

Then there is the apparent noise these rigs are apparently making. The people writing in to protest are calling this a lie. There is hardly no noise at all, in fact one guy says the noise of the wind and the leaves made more noise than the rig. Incidentally, you will note there is no speedy law stepping in to prevent subdivision projects who's backyards boarder on turnpikes and expressways, the DB levels are ear splitting.

So you figure, but I think the worse is seeing people not caring at all until it's too late. It is a great error to bank all your trust on a government who's intent has money and not people has it's agenda.

It's just a huge hypocrisy, I say show us the statistics from someone who doesn't have a conflict of interest.

Spence

Last edited:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I live right next to western Canada's bigger windfarms(20 miles) and they cant plant them fast enough.The bird problem was fixed many years ago when they started contouring the mills so a bird couldnt build a nest on one,cars and cats are the 2 biggest killers of birds,not windmills.Thats a fact.
I have lots of friends that have them on their acreages,you only need a 1/4 section instead of a full section like a few years ago if you want to apply for one.
It was a farmer 20 minutes east of me who took on transalta and the govt over the right to have his excess power sold back to the grid at a fair price minus the costs associated for the transmission lines and upkeep,right of ways and all that.
He won after many years and that opened the door for the cowley ridge wind project which is now huge.

I took a drive the other day by pincher creek southern Alberta where most are getting planted and theres cranes all over and even a new power line system heading to the states from all these new mills.
I have tonnes of pics from these windfarms and a couple videos on youtube as I was driving by them.
The blades on these things are the size of a 727 wing,they are huge but not very noisy,just a nice swish,swish,swish as the tips of the blades are hitting over 100 mph.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A few years ago someone wanted to plant a few wind mills off Quadra Island. All the ecco terrorists were against it. They seemed to have two main complaints, 1)they would destroy the view and lower property values. 2) They might kill sea birds.
The only legit complaint was from the local bush airlines that feared hitting one in the fog.