On the evolution of The Origin of Species

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
An interesting view of the evolution of Darwin's thoughts and ideas. The caption of this website begins with a simple assertion that science is often perceived as a fixed notion, that changes very little after initial discovery. This of course is false, but is quite common for the "gotcha" folks out there who point to what they perceive as fundamental problems, based on such ignorance.

The animation may take a while to load, but it really is a great visualization of the issue.
the preservation of favoured traces | ben fry

The source that lead me to that website here:
Visualization at the Crossroads : Revolutionary Minds Think Tank

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That is awesome! I can imagine how much work went into graphing Darwin's work. Be neat to see all the stuff that's been added to the theory continue the graphing, too.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Anna, Spade was correct. I reported my thread for the spelling error! It read " On the evolution of The Origin of Spcies".

As to the work, I'm sure that image is the result of many hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours of study.

I liked the visualization, because to me it made me think of markers in DNA sequences. Moving forward, only the good stuff is retained by nature!

Lou Garu

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2009
Here
Anna, Spade was correct. I reported my thread for the spelling error! It read " On the evolution of The Origin of Spcies".

As to the work, I'm sure that image is the result of many hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours of study.

I liked the visualization, because to me it made me think of markers in DNA sequences. Moving forward, only the good stuff is retained by nature!

I'll need to come back to this when I'm using firefox ( and bookmark the site properly). Makes me wonder how the increase in the number of disciplines maps out...since 1950.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'll need to come back to this when I'm using firefox ( and bookmark the site properly). Makes me wonder how the increase in the number of disciplines maps out...since 1950.

Life a fractal tree. Maybe? I dunno either. :lol:

Lou Garu

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2009
Here
Life a fractal tree. Maybe? I dunno either. :lol:

Heh,your comment is a example,Tonington,I think my first exposure to fractals occurred when I was 25ish (I think) ,I'm too close to 60 to argue the point,now when I think of those (supposed ) simpler days...........( oh yeh, 'bout that time I saw my first hand held calculator,those nixie tubes in that old "four banger " sure were cute)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The fellow who sits next to me in my statistics class is doing his Masters thesis work with apple trees. He's modeling the tree using fractals to estimate theoretical maximum yield. Seems pretty interesting.

Lou Garu

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2009
Here
Ahh," The Path Leading from Chaos To Righteousness" don't forget the obligatory banners, sotto voiced trumpets in the far backgound. Sounds like good read.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Oh. By the time I saw it, it said, "Species".

lol That's what I was thinking when I watched it. a few hundred more hours and they could make it up to date. :D
I can imagine the Creationist version: one orange dot. lmao

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Had to look yp what a fractal is. Nifty. Kind of like seeing the universe in an atom.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
And you can get lost in it if you stare too hard
I can imagine. I can get lost in space when I look there. I can get lost in a campfire when I look there. I can get lost in watching critters go about their business. :D I don't really need to stare.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I thought God created life

You want an answer based upon religion, ok here it is.

Yes, God Created The Universe.
The actual creation of this world was a miracle not explained by natural phenomenon. God offers us in the Bible an self-evident explanation of how He created the universe. On the other hand, the act of creation cannot be adequately explained through natural phenomenon. Key Bible Scripture: John 1:3 advices us that God created all things ...