Hand of God: Scientists reveal amazing X-ray image of a supernova in deep space

Free your mind

Electoral Member
Apr 14, 2009
We've already seen pictures of his eye... now we have the first image of the hand of God.
The ghostly blue cloud seems to form an outstretched thumb and fingers grasping a burning lump of coal.
This astonishing image was taken by Nasa's Chandra X-ray observatory, which is orbiting 360 miles above the Earth's surface.

Free your mind

Electoral Member
Apr 14, 2009
Relativity is neat. Imagine what that hand looks like from above.

The Hand of God: A small, dense object only 12 miles in diameter is responsible for this beautiful X-ray nebula that spans 150 light years
It recalls those of the Helix planetary nebula, whose blue centre surrounded by white clouds earned it the nickname ‘the eye of God’.
The hand was created when a star exploded in a supernova, creating a rapidly-spinning 12-mile-wide star called a pulsar, which is deep inside the white blob at the hand’s wrist.
The pulsar is spewing out enormous amounts of electromagnetic energy, creating a dust and gas cloud so wide that it would take a light beam 150 years to cross from side to side.

Free your mind

Electoral Member
Apr 14, 2009
Eye in the sky: The Helix nebula
The red disc is a separate cloud of gas. The fingers are thought to have been created as the energy passed from the pulsar to this gas cloud.
Nasa scientists estimate the moment depicted here actually happened 17,000 years ago.

It has taken since then for the X-rays, travelling at 670million mph, to reach Earth.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I would never pretend to believe I understand the true nature of the universe. There are so many discoveries yet to be revealed. However, I would guess that the hand of god or eye of god photos are just suggestive images. Much like the Virgin Mary in a piece of toast or a potato chip, which will garner you a nice tidy sum on eBay by the way.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don’t know if any of you have read “Ringworld’, the Larry Niven classic. In that at one point the travelers come across a huge, gigantic eye. I vividly remember the sentence.

“If head of God is considered to be the size of the moon, then the eye was about the right size”

It resembled human eye down to every detail, iris, pupil, eyelids etc. The traveling party consisted of two humans, a kzinti and a puppeteer. Upon seeing the eye (through their flycycles), the humans and the kzinti lay down prostrate and started praying (kzinti started praying to human God).

Only the puppeteer kept his cool and explained to them how the eye could have formed naturally, according to principles of physics and climatology.

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
[Quoting Free your mind: "We've already seen pictures of his eye... now we have the first image of the hand of God."]

This of course is only an illusion; it is like the imaginary shapes that one sees in the cloud.
God - be glorified - is Superior to be seen by the eyesight; as in the Quran 6: 103
لاَّ تُدْرِكُهُ الأَبْصَارُ وَهُوَ يُدْرِكُ الأَبْصَارَ وَهُوَ اللَّطِيفُ الْخَبِيرُ
The explanation:
(Sights perceive Him not, but He does perceive sights, and He is the Compassionate, the Well-Aware.)

Moreover, some people may have an illusion according to which they imagine God – be glorified – as some giant or an old angry looking old man, like some of the Greek drawings; while God is Superior to all these illusions, and the mind cannot know His essence and there isn’t anything or anyone like to Him.

This is according to the aya
فَاطِرُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ جَعَلَ لَكُم مِّنْ أَنفُسِكُمْ أَزْوَاجًا وَمِنَ الْأَنْعَامِ أَزْوَاجًا يَذْرَؤُكُمْ فِيهِ لَيْسَ كَمِثْلِهِ شَيْءٌ وَهُوَ السَّمِيعُ البَصِيرُ
The explanation:
( [God: the] Splitter of the heavens and the earth; He assigned for you mates of your kind, and of the cattle [He assigned of their kind] mates; dispersing you in the [womb of your mothers: males in some wombs and females in others]; there is not, as His likeness, anything; He is the All-Hearing, the All-Seeing.)

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Relativity is neat. Imagine what that hand looks like from above.
Yeah. I've seen trees that look pretty wild, too. Change the angle though and you notice they are still just only trees. lol
There are nebulae out there that look like butterflies, horse's heads, crabs, etc. It isn't surprising that something else might show up that looks familiar.

To reply to eannasirs little pile of manure: "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike" - D B McKown

Free your mind

Electoral Member
Apr 14, 2009
[Quoting Free your mind: "We've already seen pictures of his eye... now we have the first image of the hand of God."]

This of course is only an illusion; it is like the imaginary shapes that one sees in the cloud.
God - be glorified - is Superior to be seen by the eyesight; as in the Quran 6: 103
لاَّ تُدْرِكُهُ الأَبْصَارُ وَهُوَ يُدْرِكُ الأَبْصَارَ وَهُوَ اللَّطِيفُ الْخَبِيرُ
The explanation:
(Sights perceive Him not, but He does perceive sights, and He is the Compassionate, the Well-Aware.)

Moreover, some people may have an illusion according to which they imagine God – be glorified – as some giant or an old angry looking old man, like some of the Greek drawings; while God is Superior to all these illusions, and the mind cannot know His essence and there isn’t anything or anyone like to Him.

This is according to the aya
فَاطِرُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ جَعَلَ لَكُم مِّنْ أَنفُسِكُمْ أَزْوَاجًا وَمِنَ الْأَنْعَامِ أَزْوَاجًا يَذْرَؤُكُمْ فِيهِ لَيْسَ كَمِثْلِهِ شَيْءٌ وَهُوَ السَّمِيعُ البَصِيرُ
The explanation:
( [God: the] Splitter of the heavens and the earth; He assigned for you mates of your kind, and of the cattle [He assigned of their kind] mates; dispersing you in the [womb of your mothers: males in some wombs and females in others]; there is not, as His likeness, anything; He is the All-Hearing, the All-Seeing.)

This is only a human remark made about a very beautiful photograph,of an event in space. No need to get all religious over the use of God's name in this context, im sure nobody really thinks this is the hand of God.?

and there isn’t anything or anyone like to Him ....???

Are we not made in his IMAGE..or have i missed something here..!

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
This is only a human remark made about a very beautiful photograph,of an event in space. No need to get all religious over the use of God's name in this context, im sure nobody really thinks this is the hand of God.?

It is certainly a beautiful photograph. :smile:

But what do you think about the illusions and imagination of most of people? :roll:

There has been an image by a famous artist of the hand of God making the human being (I saw it on the cover of an atlas of human anatomy), and another drawing of the image of god in the form of an angry looking old man ...etc.

The lit. mentioned hand of God in the Quran means the might and the generosity, and it does not mean any hand like ours.

Like this aya 48: 10

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يُبَايِعُونَكَ إِنَّمَا يُبَايِعُونَ اللَّهَ يَدُ اللَّهِ فَوْقَ أَيْدِيهِمْ فَمَن نَّكَثَ فَإِنَّمَا يَنكُثُ عَلَى نَفْسِهِ وَمَنْ أَوْفَى بِمَا عَاهَدَعَلَيْهُ اللَّهَ فَسَيُؤْتِيهِ أَجْرًا عَظِيمًا

The explanation:
(Surely, those who swears allegiance to you [Mohammed], swear allegiance only to God [because He has sent you.]

The [surplus-] hand of God is above their [surplus-] hands. [i.e. God's favor on them is more than their favor on you, so let them not boast with their swearing allegiance to you!]

So whosoever breaks his oath, breaks it only to his soul's hurt;

while whosoever keeps his covenant with God, on him will He bestow immense reward [in the Hereafter.])

And this aya 51: 47

و السّماءَ بَنَيناها بِأيدٍ و إنّا لَموسِعون

The explanation: (And the sky – We have built with surplus [from Us], and We are Open-handed more.)
The interpretation: God says that He has constructed the sky with His surplus; because He is Merciful to people, and He is still more Open-handed; because He is Generous.

(the answer of Question 1)

Are we not made in his IMAGE..or have i missed something here..!

No, we aren't; this is only written in the Torah of Ezra, which is the distorted form of the Torah of God. Glory be to God. There isn't anything and anyone similar to God Almighty; see the last aya in my previous reply.

Last edited: