Canada claims Stem Cell Breakthrough

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Dr. Banting and Dr. Best will have to move over because diabetes and other life threatening cures is around the corner.

According to Science Daily News ”Mount Sinai Hospital's Dr. Andras Nagy discovered a new method of creating stem cells that could lead to possible cures for devastating diseases including spinal cord injury, macular degeneration, diabetes and Parkinson's disease. The study, published by Nature, accelerates stem cell technology and provides a road map for new clinical approaches to regenerative medicine.” Found at http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090301181423.htm

According to CBC news anchor Diane Swain said that this method does not does not involve stem cells from human fetuses. The news clip that followed mentioned that the stem cells are taken from human skin and different DNA Is introduced which creates stem cells and according to Dr. Andras Nagy who discovered the new method said that if the stem cell therapy does not work then it can be collapsed without any adverse effects to the patient.

It is nice to see that with the billions of dollars of donation money over the years someone actually was working on this problem.

Canada does it again Hooraa

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Dr. Banting and Dr. Best will have to move over because diabetes and other life threatening cures is around the corner.

According to Science Daily News ”Mount Sinai Hospital's Dr. Andras Nagy discovered a new method of creating stem cells that could lead to possible cures for devastating diseases including spinal cord injury, macular degeneration, diabetes and Parkinson's disease. The study, published by Nature, accelerates stem cell technology and provides a road map for new clinical approaches to regenerative medicine.” Found at http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090301181423.htm

According to CBC news anchor Diane Swain said that this method does not does not involve stem cells from human fetuses. The news clip that followed mentioned that the stem cells are taken from human skin and different DNA Is introduced which creates stem cells and according to Dr. Andras Nagy who discovered the new method said that if the stem cell therapy does not work then it can be collapsed without any adverse effects to the patient.

It is nice to see that with the billions of dollars of donation money over the years someone actually was working on this problem.

Canada does it again Hooraa
I'm really glad it's Canada and I hope it's true. I don't see it in the article you have here but at one time they said it might be possible it could help with things like cerebral palsy. I have a 12 yr. old grandson who cannot walk and cannot completely control his hand movements due to this disease. If stem cells can change this for him one day, I don't care what country found it out. I do agree, Hurrah - for Canada.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
It's nice to see that we didn't follow the direction of certain other progressive nations who nixed stem cell research.

By ‘other progressive nations’ I assume you mean USA, which under Bush virtually banned stem cell research.

Bush (and religious right) wouldn’t have any problems with the Canadian research, since it doesn’t use the stem cells obtained from aborted fetuses, but they grow stem cells from skin cells. So these are really adult stem cells.

Religious right has been promoting the use of adult stem cells in research, not for any scientific advantages, but from religious point of view, they are opposed to abortion.

In practice of course, this exclusivist approach does not work in science, we do not abandon a line of research just because it may offend the sensibilities of some religious extremists. Science is a hit and miss proposition at best, and every avenue must be explored. It is essential to continue research with both embryonic stem cells and adult stem cells.

Last edited:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

I recently took a mild interest in biology having been inspired by Bill Bryson and his book A Short History Of Nearly Everything and thought I would brush up on the topic a little, having only studied it in high school, and what I discovered is that it is a topic vastly more complicated and cluttered with detail than I could have ever imagined. I didn't come away from the experience any wiser but I do understand that anyone who can discover anything in that field is bloody amazing.