Astronomy photos

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here is a shot of M42 or the Orion Nebula taken in Vancouver a couple nights ago:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That photo was taken using two one minute exposures which were later stacked. The telescope was a 3" Meade achromatic refractor piggy backed on a big Schmidt Cas reflector. The telescope was right for the weather conditions because that photo was better than one taken through the big telescope a few minutes earlier shown below.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hi all.
The brightness in Orion is from four stars almost in a square called Tapezium:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
And here is the obligatory shot of the moon:

I will try to limit the photos on this thread to deep space objects. I kind of wish there were a few other contributors.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
These are real cool. You took them Juan?

My son and I took them a couple days ago in Vancouver. This time of year we don't get many opportunities so we tend to grab them when they appear. The weather was a bit hazy but you have to take what you can get.

My son and I have been hooked on astronomy for more than thirty years. Digital cameras and computers have improved so much that amateurs are now taking shots that rival those taken from Mount Palomar years ago. The telescopes at Mount Palomar are now using digital cameras so they have moved up a few steps as well.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hey Juan, you should try to get a pic of Lulin.

Bravo! Very nice photos.

Thanks Tonington. If Lulin gets anywhere close to us we will get some pictures. Of course with the old proviso; "weather permitting"...;-):smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Jack Newton runs an observatory bed and breakfast in Osoyoos B.C. You get to use world class telescopes and equipment. You might have to make a reservation a year in advance because it is popular.

Welcome to JackNewton.com

Artryru

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2009
My son and I took them a couple days ago in Vancouver. This time of year we don't get many opportunities so we tend to grab them when they appear. The weather was a bit hazy but you have to take what you can get.

My son and I have been hooked on astronomy for more than thirty years. Digital cameras and computers have improved so much that amateurs are now taking shots that rival those taken from Mount Palomar years ago. The telescopes at Mount Palomar are now using digital cameras so they have moved up a few steps as well.
Very beautiful. The two of you are certainly very talents photographers - thank you for the wonderful 'gift of the stars':lol: