Carl Sagan Dedicated Pothead

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Mr. X

[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]By Carl Sagan
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]This account was written in 1969 for publication in Marihuana Reconsidered (1971). Sagan was in his mid-thirties at that time. He continued to use cannabis for the rest of his life.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]It all began about ten years ago. I had reached a considerably more relaxed period in my life - a time when I had come to feel that there was more to living than science, a time of awakening of my social consciousness and amiability, a time when I was open to new experiences. I had become friendly with a group of people who occasionally smoked cannabis, irregularly, but with evident pleasure. Initially I was unwilling to partake, but the apparent euphoria that cannabis produced and the fact that there was no physiological addiction to the plant eventually persuaded me to try. My initial experiences were entirely disappointing; there was no effect at all, and I began to entertain a variety of hypotheses about cannabis being a placebo which worked by expectation and hyperventilation rather than by chemistry. After about five or six unsuccessful attempts, however, it happened. I was lying on my back in a friend's living room idly examining the pattern of shadows on the ceiling cast by a potted plant (not cannabis!). I suddenly realized that I was examining an intricately detailed miniature Volkswagen, distinctly outlined by the shadows. I was very skeptical at this perception, and tried to find inconsistencies between Volkswagens and what I viewed on the ceiling. But it was all there, down to hubcaps, license plate, chrome, and even the small handle used for opening the trunk. When I closed my eyes, I was stunned to find that there was a movie going on the inside of my eyelids. Flash . . . a simple country scene with red farmhouse, a blue sky, white clouds, yellow path meandering over green hills to the horizon. . . Flash . . . same scene, orange house, brown sky, red clouds, yellow path, violet fields . . . Flash . . . Flash . . . Flash. The flashes came about once a heartbeat. Each flash brought the same simple scene into view, but each time with a different set of colors . . . exquisitely deep hues, and astonishingly harmonious in their juxtaposition. Since then I have smoked occasionally and enjoyed it thoroughly. It amplifies torpid sensibilities and produces what to me are even more interesting effects, as I will explain shortly.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I can remember another early visual experience with cannabis, in which I viewed a candle flame and discovered in the heart of the flame, standing with magnificent indifference, the black-hatted and -cloaked Spanish gentleman who appears on the label of the Sandeman sherry bottle. Looking at fires when high, by the way, especially through one of those prism kaleidoscopes which image their surroundings, is an extrao[/SIZE]Marijuana Uses - Dr. Lester Grinspoon's Marijuana Uses

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Has any adult under the age of about 81 not tried it? It's kind of a joke that it continues to be illegal. Where will we find all of the jails to house 100% of the adult population?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Thanks guys! Got a good chuckle out of this little exchange.

One of the main reasons pot is illegal is that it is harder to feed someone who is high a bunch of BS. The depth of perception pot stimulates allows one to see clearly what is presented - a kind of anti-brainwashing tool that those in control do not want you to have. It is so much harder to manipulate someone who is high. They will just laugh at you and those who fancy themselves as have "authority" cannot handle being laughed at.

The only problem I had with pot was about twenty five years ago I reached a plateau that I could not get beyond. I gave up and now only drink it in a tea as a pain killer and muscle relaxant. Recently I made a tincture that if I put 15 drops in some water, helps me sleep. (Chronic pain and sleeplessness are the result of several serious accidents.)

As for imprisoning the entire human population because of pot smoking... Look around. The planet is our prison or at least that is what the controllers think. I am beginning to suspect that Earth is a prison planet for the universe, has been to tens of thousands of years. Either that or the insane asylum for the universe.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I haven't heard a good argument yet for keeping it illegal. Yet there is no chance of changing the legislation around it.

That should tell you something.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Thing is, a tax would require more beauraucracy (holy crap I can't spell that word for the life of me)

As it stands, the "taxation" is built into law enforcement. If pot and other drugs were legalized, law enforcement would take a huge hit. The restructuring would be similar to totally ceasing the use of fossil fuels, we've seen how quickly that is coming along.

Too many people make good money off pot being illegal as it is, sadly.

Besides, it would take away a GREAT "fear" tool, and no government wants to do that

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Keeping it illegal keeps crime rates high, keeps gangsters in business and keeps cops and courts crammed....

There's logic in there somewhere in a miniscule little space that only lawmakers can see....

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
It is actually true, some of us have never touched the stuff. Its really not that tiny of a number, though if you told me we were a minority I wouldn't hesitate to believe you.

That being said, I don't see any reason to keep it illegal. Far too large a percentage of the population uses it inspite of the law, and the current system is like a lottery for who to punish. Highly unfair.

There may be many ills and wrongs it causes society, but the same is said of Booze and we gave up trying to keep that illegal for the same reasons: Too many people wanted to drink.

Im wondering where this fear of drug use came from, Pure Cocaine used to be an over the counter item and we got along just fine.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Said1,

80% looks impressive but what percentage of pot smokers become psychotic? and compared to alcoholics? Exceedingly few.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Or fear of cannabis induced psychosis. Over 80% of people treated for that are males. :lol:

Males tend to over endulge, greedy slobs that we are. In any case a little green fear separates the hairy chested macho spermbags like me from the fuzzy faced little wimp dipsticks who moan because their pot overpowers them. They don't really go whining to emergency do they?:lol:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Said1,

80% looks impressive but what percentage of pot smokers become psychotic? and compared to alcoholics? Exceedingly few.

I would agree if the percentage of smokers were similar to the number of male drinkers. But i don't care one way or another, smoke if you want, drink if you want. It's of no real consequence to me.

Personally, I'm of the belief that those statistics do not explain mental illness, only that some people who are smoke pot have been diagnosed with mental disorders. Moreover, the statistical correlation is of special interest to me as one of my best friends was diagnosed with this condition - (supposed) cannabis-induced psychosis (schizophrenia). He went from a normal guy to a total nut case, extreme paranoid psychosis, which went from strange, to totally bizar. At one point he though he was in a relationship with a woman who's friends hated him and kept her hidden from him. He even put a cryptic message for her in the personals - cost him $125!

But it is possible that he had problems prior to using pot on a daily basis since there is a history of mental illness in his family. What is interesting about that is that the history is within his adopted family. He now thinks he copied his mothers coping skills. So it's his mothers fault. :D

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Males tend to over endulge, greedy slobs that we are. In any case a little green fear separates the hairy chested macho spermbags like me from the fuzzy faced little wimp dipsticks who moan because their pot overpowers them. They don't really go whining to emergency do they?:lol:
Usually 2 men with the white coats catch them first.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I would agree if the percentage of smokers were similar to the number of male drinkers. But i don't care one way or another, smoke if you want, drink if you want. It's of no real consequence to me.

Personally, I'm of the belief that those statistics do not explain mental illness, only that some people who are smoke pot have been diagnosed with mental disorders. Moreover, the statistical correlation is of special interest to me as one of my best friends was diagnosed with this condition - (supposed) cannabis-induced psychosis (schizophrenia). He went from a normal guy to a total nut case, extreme paranoid psychosis, which went from strange, to totally bizar. At one point he though he was in a relationship with a woman who's friends hated him and kept her hidden from him. He even put a cryptic message for her in the personals - cost him $125!

But it is possible that he had problems prior to using pot on a daily basis since there is a history of mental illness in his family. What is interesting about that is that the history is within his adopted family. He now thinks he copied his mothers coping skills. So it's his mothers fault. :D

Good God this is a joke.

Pot doesn't make any one go crazy much less schizophrenic. :roll: