Fibromyalgia - new(ish) studies.

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hey all,

Since I know I am not the only person here with the chronic pain condition called Fibromyalgia, I thought I'd share some of these new (and old) studies that have been done. It's not uncommon for people with this condition to be considered "faking it" since, previously, there was little evidence it was real. That, however, is changing! I'm not sure if Karrie has seen these or not... but here they are. I had done little research until now, so I'm finding it a bit exciting :) Tells me I'm not crazy ^^

Pain From Fibromyalgia Is Real, Researchers Say

Pain From Fibromyalgia Is Real, Researchers Say

Fibromyalgia Pain Linked With Central Nervous System Disorder

Fibromyalgia Pain Linked With Central Nervous System Disorder

Marijuana-based Drug Reduces Fibromyalgia Pain, Study Suggests

Marijuana-based Drug Reduces Fibromyalgia Pain, Study Suggests

Bunch of others: ScienceDaily: Fibromyalgia News

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Nabilone is one of two oral marijuana-based compounds, known as cannabinoids, available in Canada and is approved for treatment of nausea and vomiting during chemotherapy. Results of the Manitoba study showed the nabilone group had significant reductions in pain and anxiety, measured by comparisons with baseline scores on the visual analogue scale for pain, the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ) and the FIQ anxiety score. From the data, the study concluded nabilone has significant benefits for pain relief and functional improvement in fibromyalgia patients. Although the improvement was significant, none of the nabilone-treated subjects had complete relief of their fibromyalgia symptoms.
The drug was well tolerated by treated patients, which the authors characterized as reassuring since fibromyalgia patients are sensitive to most medications and have difficulty tolerating side effects. The downside, however, is cost. In Canada, nabilone would cost about $4,000 for a year's supply.

Imagine what the real cannibis can do, you'll have to, it's against the law.
One medium joint of my purrple and you can forget about pain, for the whole day.
A years supply cost nothing if you can grow it in your yard or basement or livingroom. It has a bad side effect though, you're happy, they don't like that you know. They don't care about your pain they only care about your money.

Beachfan

Sep 9, 2010
Hi there,

a few notes and experiences about fibromyalgia. It is little known in North America that fibromyalgia has actually two forms: it can be hereditary called primary fibromyalgia or result from a trauma, repetitive injury etc. and is then known as secondary fibromyalgia.

I have the hereditary form and remember vividly my father and my paternal grandmother complaining about the exact symptoms I experienced. When it hit me in my early forties I knew that conventional medicine had little to offer in that regard.
Fortunately, I do work in the naturopathic industry and I came up with a number of measures that worked for me.

In its acute state when I could actually feel the inflamed tissue and tendons the only thing that helped was massage, topical ointments (Lakota) and gentle stretching and moderate exercise.
On a systemic level, however, there was much more change and adjustment needed. I will only name the basics that worked for me: no more coffee, pops or fermented beverages (beer, wine, cider), cut out the sugar, no more wheat products and very little dairy, avoid processed foods. You don't have to become a vegan but switch to unmedicated chicken meat, game meat whenever one can get hold of it, very little beef or pork.

I also found a chiropractor who does trigger points. That works really well!

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I know a woman that has fibromyalgia ... verified by doctors. She gets a gov't cheque every month and is allowed to work a certain number of hours. If she works too many hours, it cuts into her cheque, so she's careful not to exceed those work hours. She drinks, parties, does what everyone else does ... but she has this illness, the free money, the extra money from work, and she's as happy as can be. I have not seen any sign of pain, but she has convinced the doctors that she has this unverifiable illness.

How do people know that they have this particular illness ... what's the fist clue?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
How do people know that they have this particular illness ... what's the fist clue?

For me it was when I could no longer wake up, couldn't stay awake during the day, hurt all the time, and was so weak i could barely lift my kids let alone go up and down stairs on my own. When I'd wake up in the morning and it hurt to even walk. I thought for sure I must have some disease that was slowly killing me. I was terrified I was going to die. later, when I found out what it actually was, the doctor kindly informed me, no, it won't kill me. It will just make me wish it would.

I will only name the basics that worked for me: no more coffee, pops or fermented beverages (beer, wine, cider), cut out the sugar, no more wheat products and very little dairy, avoid processed foods. You don't have to become a vegan but switch to unmedicated chicken meat, game meat whenever one can get hold of it, very little beef or pork.

I also found a chiropractor who does trigger points. That works really well!

I'm reading Teitelbaum's book right now, From Fatigued to Fantastic, and he points to the same things. His nutritional support ideas sound plausible, and are based in actual research, so I think I'll give them a try. I'm trying to climb out of a really bad flare up right now, so, nothing can hurt any worse, right? lol.

Beachfan

Sep 9, 2010
My chiropractor only uses his fingers or knuckles. They also make wall mounted devices, so, one could do that at home. Trigger point release works because it breaks lose the fused tissue (that's were the pain is). On a deeper level those points often correspond with acupuncture points.

I have a little flare myself right now. Can also have to do with the weather. It is, after all, related to arthritis.

I have no doubts that the above mentioned lady with the lifestyle has fibromyalgia. Alcohol doesn't help, only makes it worse but many people still try to drown their pain.

The most common symptoms of fibromyalgia are those described by Karrie. Thanks to better technology today even the physical manifestations can now be analyzed. One symptom by itself was often misdiagnosed as, for example, a tennis elbow like in my case.
To properly diagnose fibromyalgia a point system is used with a number of symptoms and groups of pain points having to come together at the same time.

Besides a general change in diet and lifestyle one should always consider individual food sensitivities as, if not the cause, then at least contributing. Taking time out for oneself is just as important.
There is no fast fix. It took years to get to this point, so, it will take some time to heal it. If it is genetic one has to learn to manage. On the brighter side, it will get better as we age and it is NOT fatal. Something to look forward to.