New Cannabis-like Drugs Could Block Pain Without Affecting Brain, Says Study

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
ScienceDaily (Sep. 14, 2008) — A new type of drug could alleviate pain in a similar way to cannabis without affecting the brain, according to a new study.

Marijuana plant. A new type of drug could alleviate pain in a similar way to cannabis without affecting the brain, according to a new study. (Credit: iStockphoto/Dave Long)

The research demonstrates for the first time that cannabinoid receptors called CB2, which can be activated by cannabis use, are present in human sensory nerves in the peripheral nervous system, but are not present in a normal human brain.

Drugs which activate the CB2 receptors are able to block pain by stopping pain signals being transmitted in human sensory nerves, according to the study, led by researchers from Imperial College London.

Previous studies have mainly focused on the other receptor activated by cannabis use, known as CB1, which was believed to be the primary receptor involved in pain relief. However, as CB1 receptors are found in the brain, taking drugs which activate these receptors can lead to side-effects, such as drowsiness, dependence and psychosis, and also recreational abuse.

The new research indicates that drugs targeting CB2 receptors offer a new way of treating pain in clinical conditions where there are currently few effective or safe treatments, such as chronic pain caused by osteoarthritis and pain from nerve damage. It could also provide an alternative treatment for acute pain, such as that experienced following surgical operations.

The new study showed that CB2 receptors work to block pain with a mechanism similar to the one which opiate receptors use when activated by the powerful painkilling drug morphine. They hope that drugs which target CB2 might provide an alternative to morphine, which can have serious side effects such as dependency, nausea and vomiting.

Praveen Anand, Professor of Clinical Neurology and Principal Investigator of the study from the Division of Neurosciences and Mental Health at Imperial College London, said: ”Although cannabis is probably best known as an illegal recreational drug, people have used it for medicinal purposes for centuries. Queen Victoria used it in tea to help with her period pains, and people with a variety of conditions say that it helps alleviate their symptoms.

“Our new study is very promising because it suggests that we could alleviate pain by targeting the cannabinoid receptor CB2 without causing the kinds of side-effects we associate with people using cannabis itself.”

The researchers reached their conclusions after studying human sensory nerve cells in culture with CB2 receptor compounds provided by GlaxoSmithKline, and also injured nerves from patients with chronic pain.

The researchers are now planning to conduct clinical trials of drugs which target CB2 in patients with chronic pain at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, which has integrated with Imperial College London to form the UK's first Academic Health Science Centre.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Interesting mirror of my own research into CB1 and CB2 receptors. Of course it's twenty years behind the pioneering work in the field and bent on synthetic production to increase the heap in the vaults of the banker. The history of cannibis and the history of man began simultaneously as it did with the other agents responsible for our rational birth. These are the building blocks of sentience. Fornicate the evil scientists who work for the bankers instead of the people.
A message from The Organic Cannibis Producers of Earth.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
That's what bugs me too, the only reason they are studying it is to find a way to patent the effects, then hold the rights to it up for sale to the highest bidder. no pun intended.

It's like looking for a way to make salad and fresh fruit into a pill. Just eat the damn salad and things will be fine.

The amount of hype over the negative affects the understanding of the positive benefits .

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
it stinks, doesn't it? one day we'll all need a liscence to eat salt and our lawns will belong to someone else and there'll be a tax on clover

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Have they done any research into the cancers and mutations continued use of this synthetic cannabis may cause? Why does man continue to think he knows more than Mother Nature?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's what bugs me too, the only reason they are studying it is to find a way to patent the effects, then hold the rights to it up for sale to the highest bidder. no pun intended.

It's like looking for a way to make salad and fresh fruit into a pill. Just eat the damn salad and things will be fine.

The amount of hype over the negative affects the understanding of the positive benefits .

Really... I would think that finding a way to remove the intoxicating effects while maintaining the pain relieving affects would be quite a bit more important than anything else you mention here. My pain doesn't tend to wait for the day to end to strike, and I've still got running around to do, kids to pick up from school, groceries to buy. There's huge benefit in having a good pain killer that won't make you feel stoned.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Really... I would think that finding a way to remove the intoxicating effects while maintaining the pain relieving affects would be quite a bit more important than anything else you mention here. My pain doesn't tend to wait for the day to end to strike, and I've still got running around to do, kids to pick up from school, groceries to buy. There's huge benefit in having a good pain killer that won't make you feel stoned.

Fine then you can wait for the synthetic stuff, I can't see it being any longer than ten or fifteen years And it shouldn't cost any more than two or three hundred billion dollars to test and certify as safe for humans and conduct marketing research into colourful packaging, right down to the label that says caution you may feel drugged taking this drug.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Yeah really. If finding a pain reliever that didn't also bring along intoxicating side effects was important, we would be much much further down the road with it. All that is considered is a way to lay claim to and profitize natural remedies. Convenience isn't the best reason for anything. Being high on pot is different for everyone. But like other medicine, you can get used to it and manage the things you do well within tolerance levels.

Plenty of people drive while high as well as run around and even interact with their own children. There isn't a period of passing out or being uncognitive. Not that there is no possible way to attain that state, it's just not part of reasonable use for the benefit of pain reduction.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Fine then you can wait for the synthetic stuff, I can't see it being any longer than ten or fifteen years And it shouldn't cost any more than two or three hundred billion dollars to test and certify as safe for humans and conduct marketing research into colourful packaging, right down to the label that says caution you may feel drugged taking this drug.

Some days your sarcasm slays me. :lol:

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Wonder why they don't spend some time making pretty much every other F-ing "painkiller" less narcotic, weed is PERFECT as it is.

Valium is popular and real common, and it makes you high like mad and I don't recall many folks complaining

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
you see beav, that's the problem right there. I wait. I sit and I wait because, no, I'm not willing to drive around with ANY kind of impairment. I function damn well around the house on alcohol too, and codeine in small doses, but no I'm not about to jump in a vehicle to go grab my kids from school while taking either one of those. I'm used to them, you wouldn't be able to tell in a reasonable dose for pain that I'm even on them, but, driving etc is still not wise.

The point I'm making is that they twink with pretty much every chemical under the sun trying to find pain killers that will be marketable. How many pharma versions of opium are there? Why should cannabis be a sacred cow in this? Functional pain relief is a priority for lots of people.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
you see beav, that's the problem right there. I wait. I sit and I wait because, no, I'm not willing to drive around with ANY kind of impairment. I function damn well around the house on alcohol too, and codeine in small doses, but no I'm not about to jump in a vehicle to go grab my kids from school while taking either one of those. I'm used to them, you wouldn't be able to tell in a reasonable dose for pain that I'm even on them, but, driving etc is still not wise.

The point I'm making is that they twink with pretty much every chemical under the sun trying to find pain killers that will be marketable. How many pharma versions of opium are there? Why should cannabis be a sacred cow in this? Functional pain relief is a priority for lots of people.

Because it works. And they don't own it or me.Why should they be allowed to interfere in my symbiotic relationship with a plant? They shouldn't? Opium should be free too just like it is in Afghanistan and Kosavo. Impairment that would prevent near normal functioning and resonable reflex action is way to much for your dayly chores. You would very rarely find me in that condition as a matter of fact you would never find me like that. We've talked before about your fibro Karrie and how it hurts you, I'm sorry you haven't found the way arround it yet. The number of accidents caused by distraction due to pain or some other medical condition is far greater than those attributable to narcotic side effects. You shouldn't drive when distracted by pain. See ya later.