Environmental measures in your home

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Since coming down with fibromyalgia, I've become very aware of the impact chemicals have on my system. The wrong smells, the wrong cleaners, can leave me curled up in bed with severe headaches and bother me for days. So, I've started cleaning much 'greener'. Ultimately, while it's nice to know they're easier on the overall environment, I'm just in it for the peace of mind in MY immediate environment. There are a couple things we've started changing. We stopped buying Windex, and switched to vinegar. We stopped buying Mr.Clean, and switched to Orange TKO. I also bought a bottle of 'Natura' for around the kitchen, but, when it ran out today I simply made a homemade version. I figured while we're all busy sharing recipes, I'd share this one here.

All Purpose Cleaner
1 teaspoon Borax
1/2 teaspoon of washing soda or 1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of dish soap (go organic if you really want to be enviro friendly)
2 cups hot water
3 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons teatree oil
optionally, you can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil for scent. I added a little eucalyptus and lemon oils.

Place all ingredients in spray bottle (making sure vinegar goes in only after water), shake, and use. The essential oils will rise to the top, requiring you shake it before each use.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The best cleaner for porcelain is backing soda. The stuff is like magic and non toxic to boot. It's pretty amazing on metal too.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The best cleaner for porcelain is backing soda. The stuff is like magic and non toxic to boot. It's pretty amazing on metal too.

One recipe that I read today (of course I didn't think to copy it down), used Borax, salt, and liquid soap to make a paste to scrub tubs and toilets with. I'd imagine using soda instead of the Borax would work well too... it just wouldn't be as good at disinfecting as Borax is.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
One cleaning tip that I'm about to try is cleaning windows with a cornstarch and water slurry. Just make a light liquid with the two, dip a rag in, and wipe the mixture on your windows. Take a dry towel and polish until the haziness disappears and you're left with shiny windows.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
One recipe that I read today (of course I didn't think to copy it down), used Borax, salt, and liquid soap to make a paste to scrub tubs and toilets with. I'd imagine using soda instead of the Borax would work well too... it just wouldn't be as good at disinfecting as Borax is.

I just sprinkle the backing soda on and wipe it off (my stove top).

For everything else I use a spray bottle with bleach and paper towel. It's just so damn fast doing it that way.

Twig

Nominee Member
Sep 8, 2008
Ontario

It's also great on stainless steal pots with 3rd degree burns. Make a paste spread it on the burned area and it will lift off. Depending on how bad it's burnt it may take 2 or 3 tries.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Today I was standing in my kitchen looking at the new brackets for the new counter top, and trying to decide what to do with them... paint them white to match the cabinets, or, stain them to match the hardwood flooring that's about to go in. I decided I'd like to break up the look of the white, and find a stain that matched the 'bourbon ash' flooring.

The prospect of heading to the store, finding the right stain, and then dealing with the chemicals in the house just didn't appeal.

So... 20 tea bags, a pot of water, and 15 minutes later, I had whipped up a stain that made the brackets almost an EXACT match to the flooring. Now a sealing buff with bees wax, and they'll be perfect.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
For windows and mirrors I use a micro-fiber cloth, dampened with warm water. Cleans the windows perfectly and leaves no marks.

Also, I have sensitive skin and fabric softener really bothers me so instead of dryer sheets I just use dryer balls. They do a good job of getting rid of the static. They don't make the cloths smell like the dryer sheets but that is something I am willing to give up!