Hurricane Ike

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Looks like Galveston is gonna get a hit from Ike. If Ike continues inland it'll relieve the drought in central Texas.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I just saw pictures of Ike hitting parts of cuba, it's gigantic, and very scary, many of those
people will be killed, it's awful.

Hyack

rampant member
Sep 6, 2008
Sapperton BC
Not only Cuba and Texas, but also the Gulf oil fields....here goes the price of crude again!

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
So is it going to hit Galviston with force? That's a pretty sparce weather forcast Walter. He's gone to bed like a geezer.:lol:

Don't ya see what old Walt is up to here? It's his feeble pre-emptive strike against those who will say this hurricane mess is caused by the rise in global temperatures.

Oh, well, hundreds got killed and there are billions in damages.......but it rained in Texas.

What a jerk you are Walt.:roll:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Not to mention that flash flooding isn't really that helpful during a drought...The water will be back in the ocean well before the water table is recharged...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think Hurricane Ike lost a bit of power as it crossed Cuba. It can still do damage but it looks like it won't be nearly as severe as Katrina. Right now it is a catagory 2 storm. Let's hope it weakens a bit more it hits the mainland.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Don't think Nova Scotia is in much danger from Ike right now.....;-)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There's lots of warm water between Cuba and the Gulf coast though. What will matter is if any dry air comes into contact with Ike, and what the wind shear is like after it crosses the remaining land before the coast...

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Why don't they build a huge windturbine to run an enourmouse pump while it's needed during the simultaneous release of so much power. Because they're are stupid maybe?:smile:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
We see this kind of wasted oportunity all the time, these cretins get billions of liters of perfectly good water delivered almost free every year on time and every year they let it go down the drain while whineing about thirst and power outages, you just can't help some people I guess.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think Hurricane Ike lost a bit of power as it crossed Cuba. It can still do damage but it looks like it won't be nearly as severe as Katrina. Right now it is a catagory 2 storm. Let's hope it weakens a bit more it hits the mainland.

But, when the hurricane gets out into the gulf, it will strengthen over the warm water,
so it will probably go to a 3, and hopefully, not a 4.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The latest projected track for Ike is a direct hit on Corpus Christi. My relatives in Brownsville might have to put away the lawn furniture.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Start a buisness.

My business is blow business like no business I know. Wind exploitation at it's finest, Buy Now While Supplies Last----------Introducing The_______________________insert music-----------BLOWME2000 the latest in cheaply built windturbines. Nah it's too much like a job, life is too short, at least mine is, I'm nearing perfection, why would I screw that up with responsibilitys I am loath to entertain, I did my time on the front line of driving this lands great economy to ruin, I'v retired, I'm an x this and that.
I'm involved in a small permaculture group we think we will do the co-operative thing henceforth.
Barter has advantages that are becoming more and more apparent lately.