Military's Active Denial System

Imp

Nominee Member
Mar 2, 2008
Very cool weapon. It should actually save a lot of lives that may have other wise been shot down.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I thought it was pretty interesting too. Hubby said he saw it on 60 minutes and recommended I check it out. He was saying though that the Pentagon isn't willing to put the necessary funding into it right now to get it really out and working to their best advantage (according to the show he watched).

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sure looks safer than a taser and seems to be effective. I hope they're not thinking to replace the traditional grunt on guard duty. So far, sticks 'n' stones skirmishes have been scoring well against high tech.

Ever the critic....
Woof!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's just nice to see some options for when the good guys and the bad guys are next to impossible to sort out.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Great another weapon to break up protests. You know that weapons designers are going to hell don't you? That's the micro-wave thing they already tested in Iraq and it kills if you turn the dial up to cook. The mobile job is mounted on a three ton truck, it looks like a satillite dish, it's a nasty.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Bedtime pain med (pfft) always brings out those heavy philisophical type questions....

Woof!
I got the same problem, self induced confusion, of course it's better that way, especially over matters of heaven and hell. Well it's almost mid-night here and I have demons to ward off before I can retire. later all

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I posted about this a little over a year ago in the older forums I used to visit:

http://www.volconvo.com/forums/breaking-news/14083-us-military-unveils-heat-ray-gun.html

Direct News Link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6297149.stm

The US military has given the first public display of what it says is a revolutionary heat-ray weapon to repel enemies or disperse hostile crowds.

Called the Active Denial System, it projects an invisible high energy beam that produces a sudden burning feeling.

Military officials, who say the gun is harmless, believe it could be used as a non-lethal way of making enemies surrender their weapons.
Officials said there was wide-ranging military interest in the technology.

^ 1 360-degree operation for maximum effect

• Antenna, linked to transmitter unit, can be mounted on vehicle
• Automatic target tracking

2 Antenna sealed against dust and can withstand bullet fire
3 Invisible beam of millimetre-wave energy can travel over 500m
4 Heat energy up to 54C (130F) penetrates less than 0.5mm of skin

• Manufacturers say this avoids injury, although long-term effects are not known

Which is what bugs me about this thing.... the Manufacturers claim this avoids injury.... just like the manufacturers of the Taser. And, the long term effects are not yet known.... BUT HEY! let's fry some people for a decade or so just to find out. Nothing beats testing on your own unruly people to see the full effect. *not impressed*

*raises hand*

OOooooo OOooo!!! 50 Bucks says it increases the chances of skin cancer.

Last edited: