U of A claims gene may help fight HIV

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
edmontonsun.com

New research out of the University of Alberta shows that a gene found in the human body could be used to stop the spread of HIV.
"It's very exciting for patients who are infected with HIV," said researcher Dr. Stephen Barr.
"It gives them another target or hope that there is another gene that can help them out in their fight."
News that there could be another weapon against HIV/AIDS is indeed a big deal, said Debra Jakubec, executive director of HIV Edmonton.
"It's exciting research. It is still probably a far ways from getting it out of clinical research but it is exciting," added Jakubec.

Three years ago while at the University of Pennsylvania, Barr, 32, began his work on a gene called TRIM22 - work that continued when he moved to the University of Alberta's department of medical microbiology and immunology two years ago.
TRIM22 is a gene in humans that fights viruses. For a reason still unknown, TRIM22 doesn't work in patients with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).
But lab tests have shown that when TRIM22 is turned on in cell cultures infected with HIV, the gene stops the assembly of the virus and essentially locks the virus in the cell like a prisoner in a cage. If it can't get out of the cell, the spread of HIV is stopped in its tracks.
"This gene works particularly at preventing the virus from getting out of cells. So it can't stop the virus from getting in (to the cell) but it can lock it in so it can't get out," said Barr, whose research is being published in the medical journal PloS Pathogens.
It's not a cure, cautioned Barr. It hasn't been tried in live patients so it's not known if TRIM22 could be turned on in a person or what would happen, but it could be a major step towards finding a cure

Full article

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Interesting.

A few years back I also wondered about the technological advances in Nanorobotics to fight such things as Cancer and HIV/AIDS.

Nanomachines are largely in the research-and-development phase, but some primitive molecular machines have been tested. An example is a sensor having a switch approximately 1.5 nanometers across, capable of counting specific molecules in a chemical sample. The first useful applications of nanomachines, if such are ever built, might be in medical technology, where they might be used to identify cancer cells and destroy them. Another potential application is the detection of toxic chemicals, and the measurement of their concentrations, in the environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanorobotics

Back in the 90's when I was looking into the cybernetic and nanotechnology research they were making lasers which were so fine in detail that they could write the entire Encyclopedia Britannica on the head of a needle. I am sure by now they are even more complex. There have been other reports laity I have been looking into, but my mind it hazy at the moment.

Eventually I could see us having a police force of nano-bots within ourselves with an entire library of human cells and body function. They could eventually come along a forign cell not in the data base and is detected as abnormal from human construction and then remove it before it got worse or spread.

Certainly would help our antibodies and their short memory. Perhaps someday they could come across a cancer cell and burn it with micro-lasers like how doctors remove cysts on a Uterus. Then the burned up matter could be converted into energy for the body or pass through as waste.

I'm not an expert on it, but this report you posted did remind me of the above.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
"Eventually I could see us having a police force of nano-bots within ourselves with an entire library of human cells and body function. They could eventually come along a forign cell not in the data base and is detected as abnormal from human construction and then remove it before it got worse or spread."

Actually I just thought about that and might not be a good idea.... as if we evolve gradually, what happens if our DNA and cells modify slightly, or slowly.... to the point where these nano-bots end up having an outdated library, finds all of the body as forign and then goes on a crusade inside your body and kills you?

Maybe this TRIM22 is a better idea.