darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Tar Sands vs. Clean Water: Eating the Earth for Cars

By Mark Robinowitz

Global Research, December 11, 2007
oilempire.us

The tar sands production center in northern Alberta in Canada is one of the clearest signs that the easy-to-get oil is on the wane. Tar sands are a low grade hydrocarbon deposit that requires enormous energy input to process and convert it into something resembling petroleum.

They are not technically petroleum, but a sludge that can be turned into oil if washed and cooked with steam (which is not an abundant natural resource in the boreal forest of northern Alberta, especially during the Canadian winter). Turning tar sands into oil requires almost as much energy input as they contain at the end of the processing - so they are barely a "source" of energy. To date, vast quantities of natural gas have been used to make the steam to process the tar sands to create something resembling petroleum, but natural gas has its own supply problems that make dedicating gas to tar production difficult to maintain. There are serious proposals to build nuclear reactors next to the tar sands, which is a sign of lunacy, to be polite about it.
Tar sands extraction causes enormous ecological destruction. The process begins with clearcutting the boreal forest, destroying habitat and soil. The trees are either milled into lumber, which releases some of the carbon into the atmosphere, or the trees are burned as slash, which releases nearly all of the carbon into the atmosphere. The carbon reserves locked up in the forest soils are also released into the atmosphere.
After the land is cleared, the "overburden" subsoils and rock are strip mined using enormous dump trucks the size of a house. Eventually, the mine reaches the layer where the tar sands congealed eons ago, and then the tar sands are mined. It is possible that the tar sands are the single largest strip mine anywhere on Earth.
The waste "tailings" left over when the mining is finished are a toxic slurry that is poisonous to life. In addition to huge amounts of energy, vast quantities of water are also needed in the tar sands industry. While Canada has more water than any other country -- it is the Saudi Arabia of water -- polluting the planet's largest supply of fresh water for a short term burst of energy production is one of the most insane behaviors imaginable. After the era of fossil fuels winds down, and the era of climate change starts up, access to clean drinking water will be unbelievably important. Tar sands production threatens to turn much of central Canada's water reserves into oily wastes unfit for consumption.
Perhaps the saddest aspect of the rise of the tar sands industry is that all of this destruction is only expected to supply a small amount of the demand for oil. In 2007, about one million barrels per day of tar sands is produced in Alberta -- about one percent of the global consumption of about 85 million barrels per day. It is predicted that with considerable investment, Canadian tar sands production might reach a couple million barrels per day within a decade. This means that an area the size of Florida will be totally deforested, strip mined, drained of clean water, and doused with toxic effluent to meet a small percentage of global oil demand for a couple of decades (at best).
A reader of this website [oilempire.us] suggests that the rush to mine tar sands resembles an indigent cigarette addict looking through ashtrays to find a couple of butts that can be relit to get a couple final (nasty tasting) drags of tobacco smoke.
for additional reading:
http://www.oilsandstruth.org good activist website about tar sands​
http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/553568.html Grabbing for oil U.S. thirst powers push for Canada fuel By Tom Knudson Sunday, December 9, 2007​
MacLean's Magazine (Canada) October 8, 2007 http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=20071008_110103_11010 3&source=srch Doomsday: Alberta stands accused A huge fight between East and West -- over the oil sands -- is just starting​

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
From what I've seen and read about the tar sands, including several friends who are mech. engineers involved in some of the plants, it's one horrible, wasteful, polluting hellhole of an operation.

Good luck Alberta, you've sold your soul for a godforsaken mess that will make you weep for generations to come.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
At least there'll be jobs in the detoxification sector, which is what this project may demand in the haha future.

Much like the movie with I believe Sean Conley Mining Titan's moon, the workers had to be druged up in order to be able to tolerate hellhole environments. The sands in Alberta at times look like we are on Mars very uninviting landscape, and mining the oil by moving the earth around it makes it uglier by the year.....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I worked on the first tar sands plant for about a year and a half in the 60s. It was an ugly mess then and it is worse every day. One of the worst things about it is the huge amount of fresh water that is being used. Here are a couple pictures of what the landscape ends up like afterwards:

And here

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Death and destruction are the real meanings of the unsustainable terms of , "growth & developement. Sustainability was dicussed decades ago but like global warming and pollution regulation the corporate sector decided life was too expensive to maintain.Wasn't efficient enough for the bankers I suppose.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I flew over the Fort McMurray area a few months back and it looks like it will take a while for vegetation to come back after the tar sand is removed. We are talking about thousands of square miles that will be turned into an oily, stinky, mess.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Can we guess who will pay for any remedial programes, if they're at all possible. Those are ugly pictures. What is the purpose in the project again, I've forgotten? I bet clean-up will cost about the same as the realized profits of the developement.

snowwhite20

Jan 18, 2008
Alberta
No matter what anyone says or does there will always be oil and gas our worlds economy relies on it imagine how many countries would go into recession if there was no longer a need for it. The government will kill to keep the oil and gas industry alive. literally and we all know it

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
I agree on one thing it's a hell of a mess up there but I have also see Syncrudes reclamation efforts not much difference between pre-mined and post mined, there is also wrok being done to the tailing ponds to refine and treat the water. (not enough mind you) I have no problem with them building a couple nuclear reactors up there, they have them in Ont why not here. as far as oil production goes it will be more like 5 million bbl a day when all the projects are online The Alberta Saskatchewan deposits are estimated to be between 1 trillion to three trillion recoverable barrels, not an insignificant amount- the fact is that the middle east production is dwindling by 7% per year and that oil must be replaced -there being no other alternatives thanks to the shortsightedness the various world governments and capitalists who just can't or don't want to face thr grim reality that is in store for the petro guzzling populations of the world.