EU levy on non-Kyoto imports

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Canada's exports to the E.U. could be hit with a special tax to punish the nations that have not met Kyoto targets. This could mean problems for some manufacturers and exporters.

Of course, it is somewhat confused by the fact that we, Canada, have signed on to Kyoto but then Harper abandoned it with his "We can't do" attitude. So, are we are are we not "in line with Kyoto"? ["not", I presume]

Another [hilarious] wrinkle is that, in this article at least, the author omits Canada as "a developed nation that is not meeting Kyoto targets". Either Canada is not developed or we just don't rate?

Hey, another interesting thing - ELECTRIC CARS - I saw on the news last night that Canada has TWO factories producing electric cars.... But government is getting in the way of this economic opportunity, and as a way to reduce our emissions, by not allowing them to be driven on Canadian roads!!!

I tell ya, we [Canada] could easily meet Kyoto targets if only the government would get out of the way. Another example is that in Alberta, WIND POWER was restricted - a cap put on how much electricity could be produced by wind power - until recently and whamo, more windmills are going up right away because they are such economically great ways to produce electricity.

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
Canada's exports to the E.U. could be hit with a special tax to punish the nations that have not met Kyoto targets. This could mean problems for some manufacturers and exporters.
So what would be required of E.U. products, since they aren't going to come close to meeting their targets either?

Of course, it is somewhat confused by the fact that we, Canada, have signed on to Kyoto but then Harper abandoned it with his "We can't do" attitude. So, are we are are we not "in line with Kyoto"? ["not", I presume]
The Liberals signed us on and talked up a storm but did absolutely nothing about it. Harper at least is honest enough not to pretend the way they did.

I tell ya, we [Canada] could easily meet Kyoto targets if only the government would get out of the way. [...]
Really? How? Windmills? Electric cars? Wouldn't even come close. And even if we did meet our Kyoto targets it would have absolutely no effect on climate change, even if you doomsayers are right about it.