First coal plant denied permit based on CO2

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Earlier this year, the Supreme court ruled that CO2 and other greenhouse gases indeed do count as a pollutant under the EPA. This is something I have argued for a long time now. It doesn't matter that it is found in the atmosphere, anymore than it matters that cyanide is found in the biosphere. Too much of anything upsets the ecological balance, and becomes toxic. We can already see the effects this is having on ocean acidification.

Now, a significant decision has been handed out based on that acknowledgment. Kansas Department of Health and Environment has denied a permit for two new coal fired plants, citing the carbon dioxide emissions as the reasoning for the decision.

You'll frequently hear that we should also be targeting the real pollutants, such as sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides and mercury. But coal plants have already been denied permits based on those emissions. The result is that finally traction is being given to the idea that we have an obligation to clean up our act. We can no longer continue to give lip service or airtime to the lobbies which have long fought these regulations tooth and nail. Certainly it is a pleasant surprise to hear this announcement coming from a state which has been a stronghold of Republican support. Many conservatives it seems are starting to get the picture. Political leaning should have no bearing on common sense.

This doesn't mean coal is out, this only means that dirty coal is out, and I say good riddance to dirty coal!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...10/18/AR2007101802452.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It's industrial revolution 'technology' that is way beyond it's usefulness.

They all need to go. Especially the ones in the states that have their plumes drift up here. Sickening.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Hey thats an insult ITN I'm no leftist and i believe corporations run just about every damn thing in the world these days :smile:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Always cones down to that pea-brained leftist, rightist, black-and-white crap. Such a rugged little world it is when there isn't any middle ground. Corporations don't run everything? Have you ever heard of United Fruit? or the Standard Oil Company of New York

Wolf

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Always cones down to that pea-brained leftist, rightist, black-and-white crap. Such a rugged little world it is when there isn't any middle ground. Corporations don't run everything? Have you ever heard of United Fruit? or the Standard Oil Company of New York

Wolf

Yeah, and they just about run everything. :roll:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
That's part of the problem, corporation run so much of what we need, yet they make decisions not based on what's best for people but based on profitability. Something that is more profitable will be adopted before something that is less profitable if there is a way around any unrest or harm it does to the point makes the corp look less than totally evil in the eyes of the public. Out of sight is even better.

We take that I think because we need the stuff or changing that will be more difficult than we're interested in going to bat for. We could use that to our advantage as a group but that is where leadership steps in to gather the people to a single cause and force change based on demand.

Yet all we can do is squabble over which cause and who not to follow. Mostly based not on the facts, but on dislike for the other team.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Hey take no offense ITN i was just trying to have a little fun ;-)

Hey, take all the offense you want ITN, although you're pretty offensive as is.

And, yep, the big guys really do control it all..............................surprise!!!

They can have it actually, I just want to control my bowel movements for a few more years

Does that make me full of ..........................(there ya go, I started one for ya),, you lil' ol' lefty basher you,.....tickle tickle tickle:bounce:

:read2: