does anyone remember Buttercup flowers

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
As kids you would pluck this wild , yellow flower in the shape of a cup . You hold it under your friend's chin and if it was a yellow reflection, you would say you like butter.

What happened to these things. Sandy and I for years now only see these things all blown out and not resembling them except for color and similiar petal shape.....But there are none in the flower shape of cups.....

Any out in BC?

where did they go to?

Tonight down in Bronte by the lake we saw the newer version and talked of it again.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
As kids you would pluck this wild , yellow flower in the shape of a cup . You hold it under your friend's chin and if it was a yellow reflection, you would say you like butter.

What happened to these things. Sandy and I for years now only see these things all blown out and not resembling them except for color and similiar petal shape.....But there are none in the flower shape of cups.....

Any out in BC?

where did they go to?

Tonight down in Bronte by the lake we saw the newer version and talked of it again.

:lol:

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
More like a little bowl about a half inch across and shiney inside

Wolf

those are them....no where to be found down here....total wierdness.
It's like they morphed into these blown out wierdness things....lol...
So like keep in mind 20 years from now if they are differnet you heard it here first...i think something is a foot.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
There are plenty of buttercups in our green and pleasant sceptred isle. In the summer there are flowers everywhere.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Twila

What a neat question - I haven't thought about those special little flowers since I was a kid with the shine under your chin story....

I haven't seen any for years either - it is probably too hot where I live - maybe farther north up the coast.

Or maybe I haven't been taking the time to look for them. I miss a lot of things I used to love finding when I was a child. Especially the first blades of grass showing through the snow.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Did anybody here play these games with vegetation?
Pick a dandelion, and while pressing you thumb againts the flower head say "momma had a baby but it's head popped off" then flick the flower head off the stem?
Pick a blade of grass that's gone to seed and ask "Tree or bush?" to your friend. They pick one, then you run you thumb and finger up the stem and push the grass seeds up to form either a tree or a bush?
I remember these games when I was little. Taught my daughter, but haven't a clue where I learned them from.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Twila

What was the flower if you pinched both sides of its blossom - the 'mouth' would open? It's disappeared from my head and I could spend hours making their mouths work pretending I was
a ventreloquist.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Snap dragons? . Snap dragons looked like little dragon heads and you could make their "mouths" open and close.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Twila ....

YES!!! I often wrecked a garden or two of my mother's by pinching their heads so the blossoms would fall off.... Now my brain can stop working again and go back to sleep! Thanks