Bill 156

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Bill 156 will result in mass slaughter of cormorants

We Need Immediate Action

Two new proposals have been introduced regarding the killing of double-crested cormorants in Ontario:
1) On October 30, 2006 Liberal MPP Ernie Parsons introduced in the Ontario legislature an amendment to the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act that would strip the double-crested cormorant of all protection allowing hunters to kill the bird at will.

If passed, Bill 156 would make legal:
  • setting ablaze ground colonies of nesting cormorants - which has been done in the past in the Georgian Bay / North Channel region of Lake Huron.
  • gangs of hunters firing into tree and ground nesting cormorant colonies - The United Fish and Games Clubs of Manitoulin organized such a lynch mob in 2005 but then called off the shoot;
  • stomping, breaking, destroying cormorant nests and eggs, and;
  • netting and drowning cormorants
Not in living memory, or prior to living memory has a provincial government removed all protection off a native species and reduced its status to the level of trash.

2) The McGuinty government has proposed to extend the culling program at Presqu'ile Provincial Park for another year. What they are proposing for 2007 is to continue oiling cormorant eggs, destroying their nesting sites, bashing birds and nests out of trees using long forestry poles and harassing the birds throughout their migration journey as they arrive at Presqu'ile.

They will not shoot the birds in 2007. It is too controversial in an election year to have protesters, police and footage of the most violent wildlife management program one can imagine circulating. However, the shooting will most likely resume after the election as the proposal comments to further management of cormorants at Presqu'ile after 2007.

Oiling eggs, hitting birds and knocking their nests out of trees with sticks, harassing, destorying their ground nests are all horrific to the birds, and the Peaceful Parks will once again be at Presquile filming and witnessing the whole thing. The Ontario government has systemically ruined a once magificant and tranquil bird colony.
We need a tidal wave of letters to put a stop to this.
The Peaceful Parks Coalition provides you with the opportunity to email your own letter directly to Dalton McGuinty, download and print our letter, or you can cut and paste our letter below.
To write your own letter directly to Dalton McGuinty's please click here. You can also cut and paste the Peaceful Parks letter below and email to Dalton McGuinty. Click here to download the PDF.
Premier Dalton McGuinty
Legislative Building, Queen’s Park
Toronto, Ontario M7A 1A1
T: 416 325 1941
F: 416 325 3745​
Dear Premier McGuinty,
Please stop the mass slaughter of cormorants

-I dont know if the bill has been ok'd yet but iam totally against this bill. My parents have a camp and there are cormarants there and I HAVE NOT NOTICED A DECLINE IN FISH STOCKS related to them, humans have decreased the fish stocks not them. The cormarant is not to blame for the loss of fish in our lakes HUMANS are. How can a species native to North America be so destructive in its native habitat? i dunno mabye the anglers are covering up there tracks for over fishing.

-did you know that walleye eat more of the fish that cormarants feed off of? yea so mabye before you go killing this native bird e should kill all the walleye?

-i dont care if these arent people this is genocide i know people will defile theres nests, burn there nesting grounds etc. No native species in m opinion deserves this kind of treatment. If its not to late please send a support email to stop the "Culling"

-no animal deserves this kind of disrespect not even the european starling and i hate those