Have you seen any invasive species?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
im curious with all the talk about invasive species coming into Canada im curious i want to know were people are seeing them at.

Ive seen so far

Zebra Mussels (Shore of manitoulin Island)
European Starling (Everywhere :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:) grrr these guys they move in and the robbin population decreases
Sea Lamprey (My ganrdpa showed me one from lake Ontario)
And those dam little white moths that swept across northern ontario killing all the hemlock trees

What has everyone else seen and were? how far east are those asian longhorn beetles? What else is out there? Whats heading where?

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Zebra mussels and gobies. Also spiny water fleas (?).

In Spain their native crawfish have almost dissappeared being forced out by larger more aggresive N. American species. This invasive species thing is probably going on all over the world.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I love to fish for carp (an invasive species). I'm actually looking forward to the asian grass carp coming. They are freakin huge. I can't wait to hook on to one of those bruisers.

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
There are too many foreign invasive species. The ladybug for instance...even learned how to bite...little buggers!

Some of the local species are also invasive though...like perriwinkle. But I think you mean mainly bugs and animals...right?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I thought carp were native to North America but i guess not, i saw some pictures of them on the web and they are big fish. I dont know if id want to eat them though. I know there are carp in some lakes around here and they are permanent members in them now.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Loads of invasive species in Nova Scotia. The chain pickerel , the smallmouth bass, Dutch elm disease, purple loosetrife (sp?), spruce beetles, and numerous fish of varied degrees in weirdness.

Carp definitely are an Asian species. I think it was the silver carp that was actually forbidden to eat during the reign of one Chinese Emperor.