Controversial annual seal hunt begins in Canada

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Controversial annual seal hunt begins in Canada

3rd April 2007
Daily Mail

Canada's controversial annual seal hunt has opened to condemnation from animal welfare groups.

The hunt started in the southern Gulf of St Lawrence, where the worst ice conditions for more than two decades have nearly wiped out the herd.

Some 270,000 animals are to be slaughtered - 65,000 less than last year.

A bloody river cuts through the broken ice as the hunt begins. Both the European Union and the United States have banned Canadian seal products

Fisheries officials said the scarcity of seals in the area meant only two of 40 eligible boats were participating at the start of the traditional spring hunt, which is important to the livelihood of Canadian seal hunters and aboriginal peoples.

Fisheries Department spokesman Phil Jenkins said: "The bad ice contributed to a high rate of drowning of baby seals,"

"The mortality from bad ice is going to be fairly high."

The ice is broken and deteriorated, which Mr Jenkins said it was part of a trend seen over the past four or five years.

Newborn seals cannot swim in the first weeks of life and need solid ice to survive.

The total quota for this year's seal hunt is 270,000 animals. That is 65,000 fewer than last year, a change made mainly because of the toll from the ice conditions.

The seal population in Canada now stands at about 5.5 million.

Fisheries Department spokesman Roger Simon said the largest concentration of seals was in the more northerly Strait of Belle Isle, between Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador.

Ice conditions there are better and the area will be open to hunters beginning Wednesday.

About 70 per cent of the seals sought in Canadian waters will be taken in the third stage of the hunt, off northern Newfoundland. An opening date has yet to be announced.

Animal welfare groups condemned the government's decision to allow a hunt in the southern region.
"I've witnessed the hunt for nine years and I've never seen ice conditions this bad," said Rebecca Aldworth of the Humane Society of the United States.

The U.S. has banned Canadian seal products since 1972 and the European Union banned the white pelts of baby seals in 1983.

The European Commission said earlier this month that it would launch a study to see whether seal hunting in Canada is carried out in a humane way, though it has so far rejected calls for an EU-wide ban on the import of adult seal pelts and other products.

READERS' COMMENTS

Absolutely disgusting. Canada should be ashamed of itself. It can now be given no world credibility in respect of any pronouncements on animal welfare.

- Ian Millard, Exeter UK

dailymail.co.uk

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Blackleaf, I despise the hunt and I despise the hunters. I've said that and I'll say it again. I'm not changing my tune. Fittingly, I see in the paper in the last week the old culprit raising its head again. Shark populations have plummeted world-wide and off our coasts, all to feed the fishery-mad Chinese. The country doesn't give a fig about conservation practice and we let them do what they do. The bulk of the seal hunt take will go to China and its fur industry and meat and apothecary needs. China is setting environmental rules and practice world-wide. It makes me livid.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Good for the native community and the Newfoundlanders for continuing their traditions which go back hundreds and thousands of years.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Got my numbers reversed in the previous post ; it should have read:
Good for the native community and the Newfoundlanders for continuing their traditions which go back thousands and hundreds of years.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
This hunt is not what you are seeing in the media. Things have changed but these poeple are still looking for sensationalism and are not telling the truth. What pi**es me off is men, women and children are being killed at a greater rate than these seals but nobody is protesting this as much. What has happened to priorities?

FLASH: these pretty white pup seals ARE NOT KILLED. They kill adults. Get over it.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Oh, lord, here we go again. The vast majority of the seals killed are less than three months old. A great many are only 12 to 14 days old.
With human populations world-wide grossly out of whack, I am not the least concerned with our population numbers and would dearly love to see a sizeable retracement.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Believe it or not the North-west Atlantic is among the best managed fisheries in the world, which isn't really saying a whole lot. We don't even have to go so far as to blame the Chinese for their appetite for shark fin soup. Every year there are a number of shark fishing tournaments all along the eastern North American coast. Thousands of prime sharks are killed for little more than a trophy hunt. Take a look at this picture from the Yarmouth Shark Scramble, a 1082 pound female mako.

While the seal hunt gets all the attention because of the cute little fury critters, these majestic animals, the prime of the food chain they belong to, are caught and killed in a matter much worse than any seal. Repeated blows with a gaff, dragging them through the water. Some are gaffed and injured then tossed back because they aren't big enough. Then we have shows on Outdoor Life which glamorize the shark hunters. The straight simple facts are:
If we want to keep a healthy seal population, they need to be culled.
The predators of the seals are at a far greater risk than the seals.

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
Both the hunts make me sick. I hope that one day someone pulls a shark out that is not quite dead and it takes that hunter with him. Bastards. :angryfire:

Oh and just because not all the seals are babies that doesn't make the way they die any better. What I don't agree with is all this publicity that says "the people of canada should be ashamed" These ****ers can go **** themselves. Obviously not everyone in Canada agrees with what is going on in our NOrthern provinces.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Accidents do happen when the sharks are boarded. Even when dead putting your hand near the mouth of a shark can activate a nervous response, people have lost their hands, arms and lives. Most times they try to kill it before they board it, I forgot to mention the shotguns...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

javascript:document.signup.submit()

Today: Tuesday, April 3, 2007

An Enviro's Case for Seal Hunt

Cuter than cod
Opponents prefer sentiment to sustainability.

By Terry Glavin
Published: March 7, 2007

TheTyee.ca

I saw something the other day that made me sick to my stomach. It was in the February edition of The Grocer, a British retail-food magazine.
There was an article about a campaign that a group called Respect for Animals is waging to convince consumers to boycott Canadian seafood products. The magazine also carried two huge advertisements from the same outfit.
One of the ads consisted of a photograph of a masked man on an ice floe, and a seal lying prone at his feet. The man was brandishing a club with a spike on the end of it. The words You Can Stop This were superimposed upon the picture. The other advertisement proclaimed "Boycott Canadian Seafood & Save the Seals," with a picture of a can of Canadian salmon.
The Canadian fishing industry exports more than $100 million worth of products into Britain every year. The point of the campaign is to squeeze those sales until the industry begs our government to end the seal hunt.
Here's what makes me sick.
The Newfoundland seal hunt is transparently and demonstrably sustainable and humane. There are roughly half a million people in Newfoundland and Labrador, and nearly six million harp seals, which is almost three times as many seals as when I was a kid.
Free range seals
ADVERTISEMENT

Roughly 6,000 fishermen, mostly Newfoundlanders, but some are from Quebec and the Maritimes, take slightly more than 300,000 harp seals annually. The fishermen share more than $16 million from the hunt at a critical time of year when there's little in the way of fishing income to be had. The seals are harvested for their pelts and their fat, for a range of products, mostly for clothing and for Omega-3 vitamins.
The killing is as about as clean as anything you're likely to find in an abattoir. Seals don't spend their lives cooped up in paddocks or feedlots. They live free, and in all but the rarest cases, the ones that die at the hands of a swiler (a sealer) die instantly. The hakapik (a spiked club) is an effective instrument.
Even so, most seals are first shot with rifles. The killing of nursing whitecoats was banned 20 years ago.
Exploiting empathy
Here's one of those obligatory disclosures: over the years, several environmental organizations -- the Sierra Club, the David Suzuki Foundation, Greenpeace, etc. -- have subsidized my preoccupation with things that move in the water by having me do research projects for them and so on. With that out of the way, I can now say, if it isn't obvious already, that it's the seal hunt's opponents who turn my stomach.
It's not just that anti-hunt crusades like this are especially foul in the way they dishonestly misrepresent facts. It's also that they dishonestly manipulate one of the most redeeming traits the human species has inherited from hundreds of thousands of years of natural selection and cultural evolution -- our capacity to expand the embrace of our empathy to include other forms of life.
But far worse than all that, boycott campaigns like this muddy the important distinction between sustainability and sentiment, and between broadly co-ordinated acts of social responsibility and mere lifestyle choices. When we fail to make these distinctions we undermine everything worthwhile that environmentalism has accomplished since it emerged in the early 1970s.
As citizens and consumers in free societies, we are burdened with the duty to make important decisions at the ballot box, in the work we do, and also in the marketplace. Boycotting Canadian seafood to try and stop the seal hunt is the consumer-choice equivalent of deciding to buy a tie-died shirt, move into a Volkswagen van and subsist solely on lentils and tofu.
Serious stakes
Just as the excesses of postmodernist relativism have enfeebled the left over the past quarter-century or so, a corrosive strain of fact-distorting, science-hating, Gaia-bothering obscurantism has enfeebled environmentalism.
It was there from the beginning, and it persists most noticeably in animal-rights crusades. It is the environmentalist equivalent of anti-evolution, rapture-seeking Christian zealotry. It has to be attacked wherever it rears its head. There's too much at stake to pretend we can be innocent bystanders here. This is a fight we all have to join.
Here's why.
The last time the planet was in the throes of an extinction spasm this cataclysmic was when the dinosaurs disappeared 65 million years ago. One in every four mammal species, one in eight bird species, one in nine plants, a third of all amphibians and half of all the surveyed fish species on earth are threatened with extinction.
When Greenpeace was born in Vancouver in 1971, the single greatest cause of species extinction was understood to be habitat loss. Now, the greatest threat to biological diversity is global warming. The last time the atmosphere was accumulating greenhouse gases this fast was 650,000 years ago. The prospects look exceedingly grim -- broad-scale ecological disruption, crop failure and famine, desertification and the mass dislocation of some of the most heavily-populated regions of the world.
A key reason environmentalists found themselves so ill-prepared to convince the world to take global warming seriously was that their movement had been corrupted by precisely the same trippy sentiment-mongering that has animated the holy war against the Newfoundland seal hunt, which now turns its sights on Canadian fisheries products.
Where was Greenpeace?
When the founders of Greenpeace were being born, back in the 1950s, the world's fishing fleets were taking roughly 40 million tonnes of marine biomass from the world's oceans every year. By the 1980s, it was 80 million tonnes. Then the seas just stopped giving. Fully 90 per cent of all the big fish in the sea -- the tunas, the marlins, the sharks, the swordfish -- are now gone.
Of the many fisheries collapses that have occurred around the world in recent years, it is sadly ironic that the greatest single collapse occurred in the seas around Newfoundland, where the bulk of Canada's Atlantic seal hunt takes place. The Grand Banks cod fishery was the largest and oldest pelagic fishery in the history of the human experience.
The cod were mined from the sea by the same big-boat offshore fleets that had caused such devastation everywhere else. A way of life disappeared, and by the early 1990s, tens of thousands of workers were reduced to welfare. While all this was happening, what were environmentalists doing on the Newfoundland coast, in the country where Greenpeace was born, at a time when Greenpeace was at the height of its powers?
They were out cavorting with rich hippies and snuggling up to harp seal pups on the ice floes. They were meditating cross-legged in the snow and posing for the television cameras and demonizing the good people of Newfoundland, while the seas around them were being emptied of cod.
Rational agreements
When you go looking for the good that environmentalism has accomplished, you'll find it in such covenants as the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity, the Montreal Protocol on ozone-depleting substances, and the Kyoto Accord. It's in the sustainability provisions of elaborately negotiated efforts such as the Brundtland Commission on the Environment and Development, and the UN Code of Conduct for Responsible Fishing.
The toughest global instrument to protect biodiversity is the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species. Fuzzy eco-drivel has already severely damaged CITES by forcing non-threatened species, such as North Atlantic minke whale, onto the CITES appendices. Now, in Germany and Belgium, animal-rights activists and their friends in the European Parliament are attempting to override CITES, and the European Union's own rules, with an outright ban on products from Canada's perfectly abundant harp seal population.
Similarly, seal-hunt opponents are dangerously undermining the historic victory that flowed from the Brundtland Commission. The commission established a commitment to sustainability as the key universal value to guide natural-resource harvesting policies for all the peoples of the world, regardless of their distinct cultural practices and sensibilities.
The whole point of sustainability is to ensure that people can exercise the rights and accept the responsibilities that come with sustainably harvesting the natural resources of the ecosystems within which they live. The harp seal hunt is a living embodiment of that principle. That's why environmentalists should not just give the boycott a pass, or stay neutral, but should actively support and defend the seal hunt.
The one consolation we can take from the recent hullabaloo is that it's faltering. Last year, when animal-rightists in the United States boasted that they'd convinced more than 200 restaurants and seafood retailers to boycott Canadian products to protest the hunt, it turned out that only a small minority were doing so. Most of them didn't even know they'd been listed as boycott-compliant.
Also, the European Commission, citing the absence of evidence to support contentions that the hunt is inhumane, has refused, for now, to enforce the European Parliament's proposed ban on seal products.
Contested Council
But the consumer boycott campaign that's just begun in Britain is particularly insidious. Its aim is all Canadian fisheries products, and its targets are Tesco, Sainsbury's, Somerfield and other major retail chains that have already made a commitment to eventually carrying only those seafood products that have been certified by the Marine Stewardship Council.
The MSC standard remains hotly contested by responsible environmentalists, but its coveted "eco-label" holds out the hope of forcing improvements to fisheries-management policies around the world. In Canada, those improvements are increasingly driven by the fishermen themselves, because they want the MSC label on their product.
British Columbia's halibut fishery was turned down once, and has since re-applied, because groundfish management has significantly improved -- thanks in no small part to halibut fishermen. Other fishermen are now lobbying federal fisheries officials to improve stock-assessment research to give B.C.'s dogfish fishery a shot at the MSC label. British Columbia's sockeye salmon fisheries have just undergone an arduous certification examination, and a decision is imminent.
If the cuddliness of a particular species harvested in a particular country is allowed to become the factor that determines whether that country's products are considered environmentally acceptable, then everything we won at CITES and in the Brundtland Commission is lost. If those are the kinds of choices we present to everyone from major retailers down to ordinary seafood consumers, then we'll have wasted all our efforts to marshal consumer power to force the sustainable use of the oceans.
It's long past time for conservationists to make a clean, clear, open and unequivocal break with crystal-gazing animal-rights eccentrics and all their camp followers. For them, the conservation of wild resources was always just a flag of convenience. They're dead ballast, so over the side with them.
On the question of the Atlantic harp seal harvest, there's only one defensible and honest position for a conservation-minded citizen to take.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Me and my wife (from newfoundland) came across a bunch of these protesters in canterbury high street (canterbury is a student town, old fashioned and full of artsy-trendy-types... just the kind of place you can drum up support for this kind of thing). At the time it made us both laugh, because the protesters obviously didnt know a damned thing about their subject, and they were so feircly riled up about it.

the more i think about it, though, the more annoyed I get. Those people were demonstrating because they like to demonstrate, as students do. But worse than that they were appealing to people's "consciences" by telling them barefaced lies. Now it seems they have so much support that a boycott of canadian seafood, just to put out of business the few fishermen who are left, as a matter of spite because some impressionable students halfway across the world saw a poster.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Here here! Excellent article Juan.

One thing I would like to add which was raised by the excellent writers at National Geographic. It seems that we only actually care when we can see the animals or plaants in question. Think of all the worthwhile species at much greater risk than the seals, we can't see them unless we head under the water. Which animals get the most attention amongst the activists? All animals which need to come to the surface, seals, whales, and perhaps sea turtles.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be concerned, far from it. I am saying that there are other species magnitudes more at risk than the harp seal. Like Juans article mentione though, I do see a benefit to all of this attention. It forces DFO and the fisherman to mitigate their practices. Now if only we could get more cooperation from NAFO and the other regulatory bodies...

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
they die with a bullet through their head mostly. Not much different to what happens to a racehorse or your ground beef

Not true in a majority of cases. The people up there that want to hunt traditionally beat them over the head with a club. If all the seals were jus tbeing shot to the head it probably would not bother me as much.

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
Me and my wife (from newfoundland) came across a bunch of these protesters in canterbury high street (canterbury is a student town, old fashioned and full of artsy-trendy-types... just the kind of place you can drum up support for this kind of thing). At the time it made us both laugh, because the protesters obviously didnt know a damned thing about their subject, and they were so feircly riled up about it.

the more i think about it, though, the more annoyed I get. Those people were demonstrating because they like to demonstrate, as students do. But worse than that they were appealing to people's "consciences" by telling them barefaced lies. Now it seems they have so much support that a boycott of canadian seafood, just to put out of business the few fishermen who are left, as a matter of spite because some impressionable students halfway across the world saw a poster.

See I don't agree with this whole boycott bull****. I just happen to disagree with the methods used in the hunts. BUt not to a point that I am going to go crazy and ****ing protest it and want the sea food banned. I just don't agree with it.

Hmm maybe that makes me a hypocrite. But that's ok I am comfratable with who I am :)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I agree with tamarin, sharks are being wiped out just for their fins. It's equally disgusting as the seal hunt. You're either an environmentalist or you aren't. You either have some empathy for animal life or you don't. Making excuses doesn't change things. Both have to stop. Along with animal research.

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
Here here! Excellent article Juan.

One thing I would like to add which was raised by the excellent writers at National Geographic. It seems that we only actually care when we can see the animals or plaants in question. Think of all the worthwhile species at much greater risk than the seals, we can't see them unless we head under the water. Which animals get the most attention amongst the activists? All animals which need to come to the surface, seals, whales, and perhaps sea turtles.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be concerned, far from it. I am saying that there are other species magnitudes more at risk than the harp seal. Like Juans article mentione though, I do see a benefit to all of this attention. It forces DFO and the fisherman to mitigate their practices. Now if only we could get more cooperation from NAFO and the other regulatory bodies...

The thing that pisses me off about animal rights activists is they only seem to care about the cute and cuddley animals. They don't give a rats ass about the not so appealing animals.

Oh and to add ot that seals are disgusting creatures anyway ( still not agreeing with the whole killing thing) I am just saying that seals are disgusting animals and they know it, which is why they are using baby seals in all their campaigns (since baby seals are somewhat appealing) and they claim that the majority of animals killed are baby seals etc.

I remember having this argument with someone last year. See I am not opposed to the hunt itself I just don't like the club use. But this girl sent me a video from the HUmane society of America. That was the only webpage she had used for her research. I couldn't believe it.

Its amazing what effects advertising will have.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't suppose anyone here happens to know what a fishery observer is? If not I'll tell you, as I was employed as an observer. The fisherman and DFO pay an independant company, in my case it was Javitech. We go out and monitor everything, and I mean everything. If they throw a food wrapper overboard it gets noted. Some of the fisherman aren't so kind, but the majority understand that without the data we collect, DFO has very little left to accurately understand the dynamics of the stocks.

I thought personally on one trip I might not make it back, it was really that bad. But that was only one bad apple, every other trip I was on the fishermen were very understanding, I even helped them with their work when mine was slow.

We document everything, on a one week trip, I would have one solid day of writing reports, and that's if I did the majority while I was still at sea.

Activists show you a couple minutes of tape. Observers are on boats, multiple boats, on planes doing fly-overs, and our coverage is significantly broader than the acticists. Our monitoring is also useful in the court cases to prosecute the violations. I myself never made it to court, but our record keeping is so important, that's 90% of the training, so in court we can have good reliable records.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Not true in a majority of cases. The people up there that want to hunt traditionally beat them over the head with a club. If all the seals were jus tbeing shot to the head it probably would not bother me as much.

The "club" is a specially designed tool, dating from times prior to guns, which efficiently kills seals in an instant. It's also not very common any more and is used in the minority of killings.

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
The "club" is a specially designed tool, dating from times prior to guns, which efficiently kills seals in an instant. It's also not very common any more and is used in the minority of killings.

It shouldn't be used at all. I am not saying I am opposed to the hunt I am just opposed to the method used. And in the majority of my research it doesnt show that it is the minority of the time. And no I didn't research bull**** sites like "Humane societies" etc. lol.

Don't get me wrong each year I check back it would seem the numbers go down and people are changing over to guns. *shrug*. I don't know. Like I said I am a hypocrite. I don't like to read about animals being hunted down and killed really in anyway. But when they are hit in the head with a spiked club well it just makes me shudder.