McDonalds and the Trash Epidemic... heres a way to start some change!

geraldinel

Mar 24, 2007
I want to do something about McDonalds and the Trash Epidemic. Help me out!

Hello all!
I'm trying to get McDonalds to change some policies that are not environmentally friendly.
I have tried to appeal to the managers of local McDonald's restaurants and also tried to speak to both US corporate McDonald's and Canadian Corporate McDonalds, but unfortunately no one will listen. One voice may not be enough but who knows that 5000 even 10000 signatures can do?

Please hear my call and take a look at the petition.
I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read this post and if you want more information concerning the data and research I have conducted for this project please feel free to contact me!

all the best,
Geraldine

http://www.petitiononline.com/MickeyDs

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Congratulations on your work and dedication Geraldine

My question is: Why just McDonalds?

There are many ecological disasters created by other restaurants, fast food joints, bottle manufacturers and their customers, kid's plastic enclosed toys, plastic protective packaging galore on all electronic appliances, kitchen gizmos, cleaning agents which are toxic forever even after the aerosol contained has been thrown out... etc. etc.

You know the drill.

Why just McDonalds?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Why not Tim Hortons? I see a lot more Horton's cups chucked on the side of the ride then I see mcdonalds litter.

geraldinel

Mar 24, 2007
thank you for your comments!

hello all! thank you for your replies!

Yes I had thought about Tim Hortons in consideration for this project, but in recent times with the constant scrutiny to which McDonalds had undergone, they decided to start a Corporate Social Responsibility Branch, and have since been gaining better press. But I feel like a lot of the issues they so-called "tackled" are really all just exaggeration. The public needs to know that the actions they are actually undertaking are not substantial, and that indeed MacDonald's is not as good of a company as everyone thinks.

Basically I just want to reinform the malinformed public...

Also this is for a term project and I can only take on one business at a time =(

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
So if McDonald's is becoming environmentally conscious - why are you going after them? A safer route which has already been addressed ?

Why not a company which is doing damage without mitigating or enforcing the problem?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It's less the corporations than their customers. Littering is a lifestyle choice for millions of Canadians. That isn't Mickey Dee's fault or Tim Horton's. It has to do with a huge character fault in large numbers of our 'citizens.'

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think KFC should be forced to wash their floors at least once a month, whether it's needed or not.

geraldinel

Mar 24, 2007
its not so much the litter as the practices.
please read the peitition i have posted as it outlines the main problems and possible alternatives for their restaurant practices

its things like lacking recycling when they clearly have a lot of plastic container and utensils
- double cupping coffee cups rather than using cup sleeves
- using single packets for pepper and salt when they could have just a general refillable dispenser for sit-in customers

theres more that I listed in the petition.

these are all small changes that they can make, and if they are really as corporate socially responsible as they say they are, then why arent problems like these being addressed?
they just do what they can to keep the heat off of them and use their new CSR branch as an excuse. in truth they arent doing anything.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
OK Geraldine

If they have been advertising environmental safety and practices in their corporation and they are not - the question is why?

Have they just not caught up with all their branches or do you believe they plan to ignore and hope the problem will disappear?

Take a broadcaster on a trip to the restaurant and show them what you are talking about - or better still a television reporter with ability to use visuals.

It sounds like an interesting news item..... as long as you are not concenrating on one company only because if you are - there will be people like me suspecting an agenda from competitors...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
its not so much the litter as the practices.
please read the peitition i have posted as it outlines the main problems and possible alternatives for their restaurant practices

its things like lacking recycling when they clearly have a lot of plastic container and utensils
- double cupping coffee cups rather than using cup sleeves
- using single packets for pepper and salt when they could have just a general refillable dispenser for sit-in customers

theres more that I listed in the petition.

these are all small changes that they can make, and if they are really as corporate socially responsible as they say they are, then why arent problems like these being addressed?
they just do what they can to keep the heat off of them and use their new CSR branch as an excuse. in truth they arent doing anything.
Doesn't the safety issue of salt and pepper packets override all else. I don't like using someone elses shaker. Who knows what's in it. Same with ketchup bottles, sugar and anything else the public could have general content access to. There are enough nuts around to spike something. Then the restaurants gets sued.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Hey , Geraldine, a much better camapaign would be to make school boards more eco-friendly. What's all this about students less than a mile and a half from school deserving bus service?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Re-opening thread after moderation consultation. Removed posts relating to promotion of unlawful activity. That forum activity is not tolerated.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Petitions are not the best way to get the corporations attention because a certain percentages of names are fakes.

Get a lot of people to write a letter to the heads of McDonalds and the specific franchises.

Do some research and get names of environmental product suppliers.

Come up with solutions or quit your bellyaching.

When you come up with solutions then it’s a win/win for you and the company and everyone will win and best of all you will get a free McHappy meal.

geraldinel

Mar 24, 2007
Hey everyone!
So in the previous thread I had started, I was pleased with the amount of generated discussion it created but unfortunately some individuals posted threatening messages to take action with, so I guess the administrators decided to close the thread.

If you guys post please do not post threatening or violent messages because I am really just trying to get the word out in as peaceful a way as possible..

Here was the original message posted in my previous thread;

I'm trying to get McDonalds to change some policies that are not environmentally friendly.
I have tried to appeal to the managers of local McDonald's restaurants and also tried to speak to both US corporate McDonald's and Canadian Corporate McDonalds, but unfortunately no one will listen. One voice may not be enough but who knows that 5000 even 10000 signatures can do?

Please hear my call and take a look at the petition.
I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read this post and if you want more information concerning the data and research I have conducted for this project please feel free to contact me!

all the best,
Geraldine

http://www.petitiononline.com/MickeyDs