Anti-rape device to hit market - and rapists

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By Sivuyile Mangxamba
A controversial South African invention, a female condom-like anti-rape device, is almost ready to hit the market after months of waiting for patent verification.

The device, known as Rapex, has stirred controversy around the world but its inventor, Sonnet Ehlers, is preparing the final pre-production phase after seven years of waiting.

The controversy has raged over whether the device, which has fish-like teeth that attach to the head and shaft of the penis, is a medieval device built on a hatred of men or whether it is an easy-to-use invention that could free millions of South African women from fear of rape.

In the latest crime statistics, South Africa recorded a staggering 54 926 rape cases, giving it one of the worst sexual assault records in the world.

"This product can enter the market anytime now.

"The process of checking if there are any patent infringements will be up on April 10," said Ehlers from her Kleinmond home.

Since publicly announcing her invention one-and-half years ago, Ehlers has shot to international fame, stirring a worldwide debate about the merits of her anti-rape device.

She has been on talk radio shows in England and Australia and even South American journalists have descended on Kleinmond to interview her.

"I am not a male hater, but why must the woman always be the one degraded by rape?" said Ehlers.

Even Rape Crisis Cape Town argues that Rapex is not a solution to the social problem of rape.

They have argued that such a device increases women's vulnerability to violence.

But for Ehlers this device, which is inserted in the vagina, could give women vital seconds to escape the rapist while he was busy dealing with his pain.

"The surprise factor will give women a chance to escape," says Ehlers, explaining that the rapist would be in great pain as the 25 teeth attach themselves to the shaft of the penis.

The rapist also has to contend with the fact that only a doctor can remove the fish-like teeth.

"I want this guy to be identified. I want a way that will prove that penetration took place," said Ehlers.

With production scheduled for next month, Ehlers said the product will be mass-produced in China to keep costs down.

• This article was originally published on page 6 of The Pretoria News on March 20, 2007

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I don't have too much faith in this or any device because rape is all about control not about a sex act. They will turn to other methods to control the woman like beating.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't have too much faith in this or any device because rape is all about control not about a sex act. They will turn to other methods to control the woman like beating.

Perhaps, but in a country like that I'd rather be beaten than raped.

I'd let individual women make that decision for themselves. They can weigh the risks and benefits better than any of us.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
The attackers get what they deserve, but it won't take long for a would-be rapist to turn to violent murder once his willy gets disfigured.

This has long been the reason some have cautioned women not to fight back when attacked. I personally don't accept it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hmmm... interesting concept, but I see a couple major flaws.

If there is penetration occurring, chances are good that the woman is already beyond being able to flee. She has been beaten and pinned down, and no matter how many vital seconds you give her as her attacker deals with his pain, she may not have a chance of escape.

So, if the woman is unable to escape, she is now, in a country rampant with AIDS, being raped by a bleeding man.

And as levesque pointed out, her punishment is likely to be much more severe for having injured him so.

That being said, I think any women brave enough to give it a try, are more than entitled to. The only way to find out I suppose is through seeing it 'field tested', as sad as it is.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It is sad to see how South Africa like Rhodesia has plummeted since emancipation. Barbarism runs rampant in both.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
By Sivuyile Mangxamba
A controversial South African invention, a female condom-like anti-rape device, is almost ready to hit the market after months of waiting for patent verification.

The device, known as Rapex, has stirred controversy around the world but its inventor, Sonnet Ehlers, is preparing the final pre-production phase after seven years of waiting.

The controversy has raged over whether the device, which has fish-like teeth that attach to the head and shaft of the penis, is a medieval device built on a hatred of men or whether it is an easy-to-use invention that could free millions of South African women from fear of rape.

In the latest crime statistics, South Africa recorded a staggering 54 926 rape cases, giving it one of the worst sexual assault records in the world.

"This product can enter the market anytime now.

"The process of checking if there are any patent infringements will be up on April 10," said Ehlers from her Kleinmond home.

Since publicly announcing her invention one-and-half years ago, Ehlers has shot to international fame, stirring a worldwide debate about the merits of her anti-rape device.

She has been on talk radio shows in England and Australia and even South American journalists have descended on Kleinmond to interview her.

"I am not a male hater, but why must the woman always be the one degraded by rape?" said Ehlers.

Even Rape Crisis Cape Town argues that Rapex is not a solution to the social problem of rape.

They have argued that such a device increases women's vulnerability to violence.

But for Ehlers this device, which is inserted in the vagina, could give women vital seconds to escape the rapist while he was busy dealing with his pain.

"The surprise factor will give women a chance to escape," says Ehlers, explaining that the rapist would be in great pain as the 25 teeth attach themselves to the shaft of the penis.

The rapist also has to contend with the fact that only a doctor can remove the fish-like teeth.

"I want this guy to be identified. I want a way that will prove that penetration took place," said Ehlers.

With production scheduled for next month, Ehlers said the product will be mass-produced in China to keep costs down.

• This article was originally published on page 6 of The Pretoria News on March 20, 2007

Ive been raped 3 times and molested for 10 years. I cand see myself.....this just makes me sad

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
OMG I feel so sorry for you self.

your son, rape, molestation...

You have a tough life, but kudos to you for not breaking apart and throwing your life away.

You are truly a women to be admired.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
OMG I feel so sorry for you self.

your son, rape, molestation...

You have a tough life, but kudos to you for not breaking apart and throwing your life away.

You are truly a women to be admired.

Im just a Human Being we all go through "stuff" Thank you but Im not all that. This invention makes me cringe. As much as Ive been through I cant see harming another in that way......its..........horrrfying

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
I see both pros and cons for such a device. On one hand, I think it will help empower those women who feel they have no way of protecting themselves against such abuse. On the other, as many have already pointed out, it could only worsen the situation and place the woman in even more danger than she was before.

Lithp

Electoral Member
Mar 16, 2005
People always say rape is an act of control not a sex act. That is such BS. It's both. If it wasn't the guy would not ejaculate or feel sexual arousal.
Rape is sexual violence. That is why it is called Sexual Assault.

That device is interesting. But I sure would hate to be the guy that goes home from the club with a girl who had been drinking and forgets to take that bad boy out!! :(

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
considering that anger is what fuels rape, I think I could see it.

I just mean physically. The mind is important for maintaining an erection, but so is the body. I don't know if a penis could maintain an erection when it's been injured in that way.

Plus in South Africa there is a very disturbing trend of men raping virgins in order to cure themselves of AIDS. They aren't doing it for anger.