Skeptic of Combating Global Warming

Toro

Senate Member
Watch the video. It is fascinating. And amusing. 20 minutes.

March 08, 2007
Skeptic of Combating Global Warming

Don Boudreaux

For those many people who believe that the case for "combating" global warming is open and shut -- for those people whose jaws drop in disbelief or whose eyes roll with contempt and ridicule when they encounter someone who is skeptical about rushing headlong into action against global warming -- the video that Russ posted yesterday is especially relevant. (Or, I should say instead, that video should be especially relevant.)

People in the world today -- especially those of us in the industrialized, commercial, globalized parts of the world -- are vastly better off than we were just a few decades ago. Vastly. Billions of ordinary people are much wealthier and healthier.

Let's assume that every bit of the industry and commerce that generated these increases in wealth and improvements in health contributed to global warming -- and let's also assume that this global warming presents non-trivial adjustment challenges for humankind.

Is it so clear that reining in capitalism to fight global warming would improve human-beings' prospects for healthier, longer lives? It's not clear to me (especially because nearly all proposals for fighting global warming involve giving power to politicians). I concede the possibility; it's the likely reality that I doubt.

What distresses me most about the global-warming debate is the general failure of many self-styled environmentalists to appreciate the gigantic, gargantuan enormity of the benefits that humans today, worldwide, enjoy from the capitalist institutions that are accused of causing global warming. This obliviousness to the towering benefits of global commerce and industry is scary; people suffering this obliviousness do not come across as trustworthy analysts of the problems that society confronts because of global warming. These persons do not come across as trustworthy stewards of the power necessary to combat global warming in the ways that many demand that it be combated.

I am not so much a skeptic of global warming. But I am indeed a skeptic of combating global warming.
http://cafehayek.typepad.com/hayek/2007/03/skeptic_of_comb.html

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
What distresses me most about the global-warming debate is the general failure of many self-styled environmentalists to appreciate the gigantic, gargantuan enormity of the benefits that humans today, worldwide, enjoy from the capitalist institutions that are accused of causing global warming. This obliviousness to the towering benefits of global commerce and industry is scary;

Have capitalists invented fire or what? This is typical of the crap that passes for information these days. Gigantic, gargantuan, enormity of towering piles of industrial bull****. Before capitalism we lived, capitalism is not as they would have us believe responsible for life on the planet. Next we'll be told that natural capitalism was here before birds.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Those TED conferences are great, been a couple in Toronto. This guy has a point. The more information that is freely avalible to everyone then the more people can educate themselves. The $100 dollor computer project is under way and will take away power from governments slowly but surely. The more people can learn of other cultures the more informed they are of alternatives the closer they will be to developing basic infastructure for their health and incomes. If you don't know something exists how can you act on it. Right now the UN sells their reports. I have tried to get info from them and was asked for a credit card. I guess it costs money to gather the info. It may sound hokey but we need to move to a Star Trek type of society or we will only dig ourselves a deep hole. It will take more than one super power to solve our problems.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't think for one moment that environmentalists don't understand the benefits we've reaped from capitalism. Capitalism has allowed for better nutrition, better medicine and as Mr.Rosling illustrated longer life expectancies. We've been lumbering on for some time now steadilly increasing our wealth, oblivious to the hazards ahead. Now some of these hazards have been met and mitigated. It's ironic that the pollution we stopped which was producing acid rain was actually responsible for offsetting and even reducing our own greenhouse gas forcings. It seems to me that the capital which has given us these benefits, at a cost to the environment, should also be used to clean up our act. After all it has been capitalism which dragged us upward, giving us greater childhood survival and overall health, why should it not also drag us along to a clean and efficient mode of operation.

Though I doubt the right word is drag, seems more apt that the dragging might go in the other direction.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I don't think for one moment that environmentalists don't understand the benefits we've reaped from capitalism. Capitalism has allowed for better nutrition, better medicine and as Mr.Rosling illustrated longer life expectancies. We've been lumbering on for some time now steadilly increasing our wealth, oblivious to the hazards ahead. Now some of these hazards have been met and mitigated. It's ironic that the pollution we stopped which was producing acid rain was actually responsible for offsetting and even reducing our own greenhouse gas forcings. It seems to me that the capital which has given us these benefits, at a cost to the environment, should also be used to clean up our act. After all it has been capitalism which dragged us upward, giving us greater childhood survival and overall health, why should it not also drag us along to a clean and efficient mode of operation.

Though I doubt the right word is drag, seems more apt that the dragging might go in the other direction.

Tonnington are you aware that you have used the phrase "capital which has given us these benifits at a cost"? Drag is not the right word, I think herd would be a better fit.Capitalism has practically destroyed nutrition, most of the processed junk has been stripped of nutriants and laced with chemicals, this costs us billions in associated health care cost each and every year.We've been lumbering on because of the ponderous inefficient capitalist habit of milking the guts out of every enterprize imaginable, long term to them is the life of a pair of work boots for Jebus sake.Steadily increasing our wealth, I'm more than a little suspicious of that as well.:wave:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
What they want us to believe is that we've all been sucking the breast of capitalist benevolence when in fact it's humanitys boobs that are being drained and not the other way arround.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Just heard there's a conference about global fresh water coming next month in Europe. Caught something about the need for fresh water going up by 50% within the next 40 or 45 years.

About 2 percent of the planet's water is fresh, but 1.6 percent of the planet's water is locked up in the polar ice caps and glaciers. Another 0.36 percent is found underground in aquifers and wells. Only about 0.036 percent of the planet's total water supply is found in lakes and rivers.
- http://science.howstuffworks.com/question157.htm

With the planet warming it may change how much water that's available to us.

Toro

Senate Member
And yet another opinion piece with no evidence. Wow. Whatta thrill that the guy expressed his opinion. Just like a few thousand other people who ignore scientific evidence..

Of course its just an opinion piece. The point, however, is that many environmentalists want to limit or stop economic growth to do so. But if you go back over the past four decades, economic growth has lifted hundreds of millions out of poverty and has dramatically increased the health and welfare of almost every country in the world. What would have been the costs of human welfare around the world if we stopped or slowed economic growth 40 years ago, just like many environmentalists argue today? After all, we wouldn't have this supposedly horrific global warming if that had been the case. But millions of people would have died if we'd done so, due to not reducing infant mortality, technological breakthroughs, etc., hundreds of millions would not have been lifted out of absolute poverty, and the standard of living you enjoy certainly wouldn't exist today.

And the video is definitely not an opinion piece. To deny the effects of growth on human health and welfare puts one into the camp of the "few thousand other people who ignore scientific evidence."

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Of course its just an opinion piece. The point, however, is that many environmentalists want to limit or stop economic growth to do so. But if you go back over the past four decades, economic growth has lifted hundreds of millions out of poverty and has dramatically increased the health and welfare of almost every country in the world. What would have been the costs of human welfare around the world if we stopped or slowed economic growth 40 years ago, just like many environmentalists argue today? After all, we wouldn't have this supposedly horrific global warming if that had been the case. But millions of people would have died if we'd done so, due to not reducing infant mortality, technological breakthroughs, etc., hundreds of millions would not have been lifted out of absolute poverty, and the standard of living you enjoy certainly wouldn't exist today.

And the video is definitely not an opinion piece. To deny the effects of growth on human health and welfare puts one into the camp of the "few thousand other people who ignore scientific evidence."
Gotta agree with you except about the video; I didn't watch it cuz I still have weird sound.
Anyway, between the environuts and the zealot sceptics, the news and the politicians, a lot of people are confused. So I tell them to ignore the opinion pieces, news, etc. and read reports, studies, science mags, etc. (I hate testimonials in ads, too. :D )

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I'm not the least bit confused about the inherant benevolence of capitalism, it simply does not exist.
Where are those hundreds of millions of people who have been lifted out of abject poverty. With such attentant fanfare they should be readily visable but they aren't anywhere to be found.Elevating someone from a dollar a day to a buck fifty is not entirely the same as being thrust into the ruleing class is it? Anyone who suggests that capitalism will save us from capitalism needs both of thier mutated heads examined and a high pressure full dutch colonic.:wave:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
To ignore its benefits should land someone in the looneybin, too. O rather like my computer. Wouldn't have one if it wasn't for capitalism. Wouldn't be able to have certain fruits, vegetables, seafood, etc. if it wasn't for capitalism either. Think I'll use it and be happy.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Capitalism works, I'v never said that it dosen't but to allow it to roam free like a rampaging bull in a china shop is insane, unregulated it has become religous and perverted itself into an end instead of a means.