new data on diet and/or exercise

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
No need to diet AND exercise to lose weight?

Thu Feb 22, 9:23 AM

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A new study debunks the widely held belief that diet plus exercise is the most effective way to lose weight. Researchers report that dieting alone is just as effective as dieting plus exercise.
if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['q9uWCdj8YoA-']='&U=13bg59ds6%2fN%3dq9uWCdj8YoA-%2fC%3d577607.10200108.10875378.6258759%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4399041';
"For weight loss to occur, an individual needs to maintain a difference between the number of calories they consume everyday and the number of calories they burn through metabolism and physical activity," Dr. Leanne Redman of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, explains in a press release.

"What we found was that it did not matter whether a reduction in calories was achieved through diet or burned everyday through exercise."

Thirty-five overweight but otherwise healthy adults -- 16 men and 19 women -- completed the 6-month study. Twelve were assigned to a diet-only group; they reduced their calorie intake by 25 percent. Twelve were assigned to diet plus exercise; they reduced their calorie intake by 12.5 percent and increased their exercise by 12.5 percent. The remaining 11 subjects made no significant diet or exercise changes.

Redman and colleagues found that the diet-only group and the diet plus exercise group lost roughly the same amount of weight, albeit by different means. They lost about 10 percent of their body weight, 24 percent of their fat mass and 27 percent of their abdominal "visceral" fat -- the deep internal fat linked to heart disease risk.

Therefore, if the goal is purely shedding pounds, diet or exercise will work, according to this study. However, as the researchers point out, regular exercise can improve aerobic fitness and lower the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.

The study also found that exercise did little to tone specific areas of the body. Fat was reduced consistently across the whole body and not more in any one trouble spot.

"Our study then would indicate that weight loss cannot override the way in which any individual stores fat. Perhaps an apple will always be an apple, and a pear, a pear," Redman concludes.

This suggests that people are "genetically programmed for fat storage in a particular pattern and that this programming cannot be easily overcome by weight loss," the authors note in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.

SOURCE: Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2007.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It takes one 2 minutes to eat what it takes them 3 hours to burn off. I found last year when I trained to walk 60k I gained weight. I could walk forever but I sure enjoyed eating.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I started following the three basic rules that current diet culture tells you every skinny person follows.

1. Eat breakfast

2. Drink lots of water

3. Exercise

While I'd never give up the exercise on a permanent basis, the other two just made me sick. And if I was doing all three, I just gained weight like mad. I saw a doctor on The View one day, and while I'd never recommend following the advice of a morning talkshow doc, what he had to say made a lot of sense. The first thing he attacked was the water issue... not everyone needs lots of water, and it can actually bother some people's chemistry. Plus, the weight watchers idea of drinking large glasses of water with every meal so that you have less room for food, means you have a more stretched out stomach, and feel more hungry more often. The other thing he discussed was HAVING to eat breakfast. It has ALWAYS, since I was about 10, made me feel nauseous to eat before noon. So, all I was doing according to this doc, is forcing myself to take in extra calories to try to be like someone else.

I quit eating breaky, drink only when I'm thirsty, and keep my serving sizes small. Since Christmas, I've lost 22 lbs despite rarely being able to make it to the gym. lol...and I'm sure my current bout of strep throat has brought that number down even lower.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I started following the three basic rules that current diet culture tells you every skinny person follows.

1. Eat breakfast

2. Drink lots of water

3. Exercise

While I'd never give up the exercise on a permanent basis, the other two just made me sick. And if I was doing all three, I just gained weight like mad. I saw a doctor on The View one day, and while I'd never recommend following the advice of a morning talkshow doc, what he had to say made a lot of sense. The first thing he attacked was the water issue... not everyone needs lots of water, and it can actually bother some people's chemistry. Plus, the weight watchers idea of drinking large glasses of water with every meal so that you have less room for food, means you have a more stretched out stomach, and feel more hungry more often. The other thing he discussed was HAVING to eat breakfast. It has ALWAYS, since I was about 10, made me feel nauseous to eat before noon. So, all I was doing according to this doc, is forcing myself to take in extra calories to try to be like someone else.

I quit eating breaky, drink only when I'm thirsty, and keep my serving sizes small. Since Christmas, I've lost 22 lbs despite rarely being able to make it to the gym. lol...and I'm sure my current bout of strep throat has brought that number down even lower.
Congrats on the weight loss. Good work. About 5 years ago I went to a dietician who told me to replace junk with fruit and eat just about anything with the Canadian Diabates Association sticker of approval. I lost about 50 pounds in 3 months.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss. It generally becomes necessary to maintain it though. You can only diet for so long.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - "For weight loss to occur, an individual needs to maintain a difference between the number of calories they consume everyday and the number of calories they burn through metabolism and physical activity,"

That's such a simple fact that so few people believe. But it's true.

Eat fewer calories than you burn, and you will lose weight. Period. Who cares how you burn it, or how you restrict your intake.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
For weight loss the formula is less calories eaten than burned off. Exercise allows you to burn more calories plus the benefits of being in good sahpe makes it easier to burn more calories. It's very hard to XC ski for 4 hours burning off 100's of calories if you are badly out of shape. If you don't have the physical fitness for an intense aerobic step program and strict diet your not going to do it for very long. Both go hand in hand. Diet a bit and exercise a bit, slowly working up the intensity of both.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
What really bugs me is those height to weight charts. According to those, at 6' (183 cm) I should weigh maximum 180 pounds (80kg). Nuts!! I would look bulemic at that weight. My doc says if I was fairly fit (body fat ratio of about 15% for my age), I would weigh about 265-270.

When I was 15 in the middle of rugby season I was 5'10" and 185.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Its all to fustrating! Ive lost 100 pounds just to gain 25 and im told its due to stress and depression due to grief! Im tired of trying.

Not long after having my last child, for the briefest moment in time, I had managed to work my way down to 167 lbs. The lowest I'd been since I got married, and then the fibromyalgia hit. The docs started throwing all sorts of drugs at me (wheee, look at the guinea pig!!), and before I knew it I'd gained a HUGE amount of weight. I don't even dare say how high I hit. But, I'll soon be wiggling my way back down below the 200 lb mark, and I couldn't be happier. Drug free, moving around more often, and coping with my disease without the docs' interference. I can't wait to slowly work my way down to where I was before the disease struck.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Not long after having my last child, for the briefest moment in time, I had managed to work my way down to 167 lbs. The lowest I'd been since I got married, and then the fibromyalgia hit. The docs started throwing all sorts of drugs at me (wheee, look at the guinea pig!!), and before I knew it I'd gained a HUGE amount of weight. I don't even dare say how high I hit. But, I'll soon be wiggling my way back down below the 200 lb mark, and I couldn't be happier. Drug free, moving around more often, and coping with my disease without the docs' interference. I can't wait to slowly work my way down to where I was before the disease struck.

I have no choice with meds. its take them or die. I made promises not to die. Id be extatic to be below 200. I get so tired of trying and failing.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have no choice with meds. its take them or die. I made promises not to die. Id be extatic to be below 200. I get so tired of trying and failing.

Well, I tend to ask people, why are you trying to lose weight? With me, it's to alleviate the symptoms of my illness, since a lot of it tends to be worsened by weight. But, if your meds cause weight gain, and you can't survive without your meds, then wouldn't you rather be a happy, relaxed person and just not stress about the weight? I know of course that there may be other reasons for you wanting to lose weight. But, since seeing my aunts fawn over my aunty Vivian for her drastic weight loss (wow, what size are those jeans? I wish I could be that skinny!), I've highly questioned peoples' motives for losing weight. They were envious over a dying woman, suffering through chemo. They were totally blind to it too. Aunty was furious with them. Why not be fat, healthy and happy? Why are we so driven to lose weight?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Well, I tend to ask people, why are you trying to lose weight? With me, it's to alleviate the symptoms of my illness, since a lot of it tends to be worsened by weight. But, if your meds cause weight gain, and you can't survive without your meds, then wouldn't you rather be a happy, relaxed person and just not stress about the weight? I know of course that there may be other reasons for you wanting to lose weight. But, since seeing my aunts fawn over my aunty Vivian for her drastic weight loss (wow, what size are those jeans? I wish I could be that skinny!), I've highly questioned peoples' motives for losing weight. They were envious over a dying woman, suffering through chemo. They were totally blind to it too. Aunty was furious with them. Why not be fat, healthy and happy? Why are we so driven to lose weight?

Because most men wont look at ya twice......bad reason but realistic.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I'm not much for dieting, but I try. I do exercise though. I walk a mile or more a day, everyday. I'm like those sick joggers who 'must' jog everyday, only I walk. I never run. Running hurts.

I've been there with the medication as well, steroids for an eye infection. I gained something like 30 pounds in less than a month. it was hard to lose too.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada

Losing 75lbs is a heck of a lot. I wouldn't be discouraged over that even if you had originally lost 100. I would imagine the first bit is easy to take off but progressively harder and harder work is required to lose even more. I don't have a real weight problem but could still stand to lose 15-20 lbs. I eat better than most these days and ride a bicycle evryday and XC ski and snowshoe for fun and am not losing weight at all. It's not easy but it is rewarding. Sef-esteem and increased life expectancy.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Because most men wont look at ya twice......bad reason but realistic.
I can understand that. A friend of mine lost her husband about three years ago in a farming accident. Her son died less than a year later in a rollover. The weight gain (over 150 lbs) was so fast that it wrecked her knees. She ended up going for the lapband surgery. She admitted that, while health was a huge factor, finding a man eventually was a bigger one. lol. It IS one of the largest components of health after all.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Losing 75lbs is a heck of a lot. I wouldn't be discouraged over that even if you had originally lost 100. I would imagine the first bit is easy to take off but progressively harder and harder work is required to lose even more. I don't have a real weight problem but could still stand to lose 15-20 lbs. I eat better than most these days and ride a bicycle evryday and XC ski and snowshoe for fun and am not losing weight at all. It's not easy but it is rewarding. Sef-esteem and increased life expectancy.

Im just in a mood. Summer will come and I'll be out there walking again.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I can understand that. A friend of mine lost her husband about three years ago in a farming accident. Her son died less than a year later in a rollover. The weight gain (over 150 lbs) was so fast that it wrecked her knees. She ended up going for the lapband surgery. She admitted that, while health was a huge factor, finding a man eventually was a bigger one. lol. It IS one of the largest components of health after all.

Ive prided myself lately that Im just fine without male company. And at this point in time I truely am BUT at some point I WANT a companion. And I know men better than they know themselves......Believe me! They are visual creatures and they are NOT turned on by fat chicks......Thats just reality. Period.