Princeton ESP lab shutting down after 28 years

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
PRINCETON, N.J. (AP) - The extrasensory perception lab at Princeton University will be shuttered at the end of the month.
The Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research laboratory will close after 28 years of studying ESP and telekinesis, research that embarrassed university officials and outraged the scientific community.
PEAR's founder, Robert Jahn, said the lab, with its aging equipment and dwindling finances, has done what it needed to do.
"If people don't believe us after all the results we've produced, then they never will," Jahn, 76, former dean of Princeton's engineering school and an emeritus professor, told the New York Times newspaper for Saturday editions.
Princeton made no official comment on the lab's closure.
One of the world's top experts on jet propulsion, Jahn was able to buck a research system based on university and government money that uses strenuous peer review. Instead, Jahn estimates he was able to raise more than US$10 million in private donations over the years.
A standard experiment at PEAR would have a participant sitting in front of an electric box flashing numbers just above or below 100. Staff would tell the person to either "think high" or "think low" as they watched the display.
PEAR researchers concluded people could alter the results in such machines about two or three times out of 100,000. Jahn claimed if the human mind could slightly alter a machine, it might be able to be used in other areas of human life, such as healing disease.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Well, they did prove the gullibility of others for twenty eight years.That has to count for something!

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
ESP obviously exists but how to prove it? Most of it's anecdotal but even such accumulation should count for something. I think we've all had such moments. They seem minor but they exist. We've all had moments at home where we suddenly think: the phone's going to ring. And it does. Or we think of some person we've not connected with for six months, a year or five and then later that day there's an email in your box from him or a letter in the mail. And we've all had many, many moments when out and about or driving in the car and the loved one next to us begins to say something totally unrelated to anything that's just gone before and yet we know exactly what it will be before it's said.
ESP, whatever tiny nation it inhabits in our head, is a real country.

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
ESP obviously exists but how to prove it? Most of it's anecdotal but even such accumulation should count for something. I think we've all had such moments. They seem minor but they exist. We've all had moments at home where we suddenly think: the phone's going to ring. And it does. Or we think of some person we've not connected with for six months, a year or five and then later that day there's an email in your box from him or a letter in the mail. And we've all had many, many moments when out and about or driving in the car and the loved one next to us begins to say something totally unrelated to anything that's just gone before and yet we know exactly what it will be before it's said.
ESP, whatever tiny nation it inhabits in our head, is a real country.

Yeah, sure it does;-) 28 years and they didn't prove it successfully, now did they!

dude1981

Feb 9, 2007
LONDON, ON.
ESP, Reincarnation, the bible, all places people try to insert logic into normal situations. We have ESP powers about as much as ants can talk.(IMO)

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006
ESP, Reincarnation, the bible, all places people try to insert logic into normal situations. We have ESP powers about as much as ants can talk.(IMO)
Subjecting a phenomenon to 28 years of scientific study without fully understanding it is not unusual, but studying a NON-phenomenon for that long is ridiculous. How did they get any funding at all when they had no evidence whatsoever that ESP even EXISTS?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Ah, skeptics, I love 'em. Doubting Thomases. Yes, we are all entitled to our own opinions on such things. Personally, it's enough for me to have witnessed ESP lite at work in my life to know it exists. But maybe I'm more evolved. Hmmm....maybe we are evolving physically and psychically at the same time. You two are just younger souls. I like that. Lets you off the hook.

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006
I used to think that women could read our minds, then I realized it was just our transperancy:wave:

You got that right, that and the fact that you men are totally unsophisticated when it comes to keeping secrets and hiding things from us!:angel8:

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006
Ah, skeptics, I love 'em. Doubting Thomases. Yes, we are all entitled to our own opinions on such things. Personally, it's enough for me to have witnessed ESP lite at work in my life to know it exists. But maybe I'm more evolved. Hmmm....maybe we are evolving physically and psychically at the same time. You two are just younger souls. I like that. Lets you off the hook.
This is a big crazy Universe that we all live in
and there is much that we do not know but if
these morons can't come up with anything tangible
in 28+ years then maybe we need to throw money at
some better "Scientists" Eh?

Just a thought.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Tangible like what?

400 years later and we still don't know how gravity works. We have several differing theories that all COULD be true.. It could be a pull force, it could be a system of repelling forces conflicting with each other, it could be "intelligent falling" ..

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006
Tangible like what?

400 years later and we still don't know how gravity works. We have several differing theories that all COULD be true.. It could be a pull force, it could be a system of repelling forces conflicting with each other, it could be "intelligent falling" ..

Oh, come on,,"PEAR researchers concluded people could alter the results in such machines about two or three times out of 100,000. "

Holy crap 2 or 3 times out of 100,000?! Good God, they must be on to something, I can't believe Princeton is cutting their funding, after such a monumental breakthrough. There is no way such dramatic results could be a result of statistical error.(heavy,heavy sarcasm intended)

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Indeed. Or get better subjects. Like me. But truthfully I couldn't go into a lab and produce. I can see the guy now: "show us something funny!Show us something weird!"
ESP operates on its own schedule and it's not something constant. It just keeps on reappearing as an oddity in one's life. ESP lite.
For example: Just yesterday, I was on the computer. I'm a retired professional and I get a kick out of selliing on eBay now. We've been very successful, sticking to a small niche there. I'd just completed some filings and was thinking about a deal I had completed last summer. Nothing important but with an individual who was unusual. Hadn't thought about him at all since June or July. And yet ten seconds later I returned to my eBay site and there he'd just bid on the lead item. Coincidence? ESP lite? It happens too often for me to slough off.
But how do you reproduce such events in a lab?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
At the annual Psychokinesis convention the master of ceremonies said;

"I move that we call this meeting to order, all those in favour, raise my hand".:wave::laughing7:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I actually would like to believe there are phenoms such as ESP and Reincarnation

They appeal to me because they give some an extra dimension to the normals we now test and trust...

Perhaps the beauty of not being able to prove their existence is that they will remain
unsullied by humanity's natal desire to destroy everything simple and good.