Church of England supports killing of disabled babies

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Sunday Times

November 12, 2006
Church supports baby euthanasia

Peter Zimonjic

THE Church of England has joined one of Britain’s royal medical colleges in calling for legal euthanasia of seriously disabled newborn babies.

Church leaders want doctors to be given the right to withhold treatment from seriously disabled newborn babies in exceptional circumstances.

Their call, overriding the presumption that life should be preserved at any cost, follows that of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecology, revealed in The Sunday Times last week.

The church’s position was laid out in a submission to an independent inquiry, due to publish its report this week, into the ethical concerns surrounding the treatment of severely premature babies.

In the submission Tom Butler, Bishop of Southwark, states: “It may in some circumstances be right to choose to withhold or withdraw treatment, knowing it will possibly, probably, or even certainly result in death.”

The church’s submission does not say which medical conditions might justify the decision to allow babies to die. It argues that there are “strong proportionate reasons” for “overriding the presupposition that life should be maintained”.

It says it would support the withdrawal of treatment only if all reasonable alternatives had been considered, “so that the possible lethal act would only be performed with manifest reluctance”.

In its proposal the college of obstetricians argued that “active euthanasia” should be considered for the overall good of families, to spare parents the emotional burden and financial stress of caring for desperately sick infants.

The college said in its submission to the inquiry: “A very disabled child can mean a disabled family. If life-shortening and deliberate interventions to kill infants were available, they might have an impact on obstetric decision-making, even preventing some late abortions, as some parents would be more confident about continuing a pregnancy and taking a risk on outcome.”

Both submissions were made to the Nuffield Council on Bioethics, an independent body that publishes guidelines for how the medical profession should deal with ethical questions such as euthanasia.

The council was set up nearly two years ago in order to consider the implications of advances that enable infants to be born half-way through pregnancy.

In the Netherlands babies born before 25 weeks are not given medical treatment in certain conditions. The report, to be published on Thursday, is not expected to set an age limit as a criterion.

thetimesonline.co.uk

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I work in this area of nursing and have to say most nurses and docs I know wish this were allowed in certain exceptional cases. I've seen some babies "survive" and I can't help but think it will be so much harder for them than if they were just allowed to pass away peacefully. I've seen a couple of miracle kids too, but they are few and far between. I don't envy parents sometimes.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
With medical dollars increasingly at a premium, one has to question the morality of promoting such expensive endeavours. We need to make some choices now that some 7 billion of us are loose on the land. This shouldn't be too difficult a place to start.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Wow I wouldn't want to be the Doctor who had to make the decision does this child live or die. Like Tracy stated I've seen some babies born that, in my opinion, may of had a better life in the here after than they have today. My sister's first child was born at 26 weeks, 1 pound four ounces and he fought for life for five months and now hes a healthy happy smart teen. Sadly many of his ward mates lived for several years before dying, some were mere vegetables. Hard decisions to make, I wouldn't want to.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
With the boomers aging we need more help on the other end. If a parent of a severely handicapped child wants extended and extraordinary care for her infant, she and her hub can pay for it once the state's 'duty of care' is completed. What troubles me in all this is the unsaid belief that the human animal is god. We're not. We never have been. But strangely the devastation we wreak upon the earth even a god would be hardpressed to duplicate.