Stem Cells And Micheal J Fox

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Jim I'm not a Doctor but I don't see how this research can help Diabetics, it's the spleen that produces to much sugar or not enough isn't it? Isn't a transplant the only cure and then the desease comes back?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There is more than one type of Diabetes. Type one is the diabetes young children get. There is a decline in beta producing cells in the islets of langehans, in the pancreas. This results in insufficient levels of insulin.

Type two is onset in adulthood, and is a result of defects in insulin production, and also a resistance by the body to it's own insulin, mostly due to the insulin receptor in cell membranes.

There have allready been studies which showed that stem cells could be used to improve the symptoms of Parkinsons by replacing the lost cells.

The pertinent information in regards to stem cells and diabetes is that in type 1 diabetes, the cells which need fixing are only one layer thick. One of the questions researchers have is how to correctly get the tissue to form, and what conditions or properties need to be accounted for in the organization of those cells.

Any scientist who is studying stem cells will tell you the reason that to date the progress has been slow. There is a need to develop more lines. A line is when the stem cells are removed and placed in a vessel, and then multiplied .

One of the lines from the bill passed in the states states that no research can take place from any human embryos which were destroyed or discarded, except those initially used to propogate the lines they use now. New technology can make more viable cultures than those early lines. But in vitro clinics are helping people to have children every day, and in the process are destroying, or discarding human embryos. I see nothing wrong with using them for research, provided the researcher has written consent from the original donors. This way there is no "paying" for embryos/eggs removed from females, contrary to those who oppose Fox's commercial will tell you.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks Tonington for the explanation, I like your suggestion regarding the use of stem cells. It's ethical and honest. I've never had a problem with Stem Cell Research if it's done with proper quidelines.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Thats really the issue, there can be no issue with regards to the research if the embryos are allready made for someone who can't reproduce. It's not like we're going to outlaw that. All that is needed is proper guidelines. I don't see this at odds with current ethical standards at all.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Raging fundamentalists have skewed the real topic so badly very few people know where the real truth lies....

As I understand it and I am not an expert, many of the invitro product are going to be aged beyond use or discarded as many are harvested when only a few are used in reproduction of actual human.

However the argument these inert cells are more valuable than an existing human who is living in this world with a disease which could be cured or at least alleviated - should be denied that assistance is
a campaign of voodoo-like proportions.

Nothing is more off-the-wall to me than a group of people giving out their personal reasons why something should not be done to assist those who are condemned to die before necessary or living out a life of pain and invalidism... when science has the means of finding a way to find a promise of regaining their physically productives lives here on earth.

It isn't just Michael Fox - Christopher Reeve fought for this research - and many others we rarely hear of.
Imagine Stephen Hawking being more free to travel and visit our lecture halls to speak to all of us.

We cannot walk in their shoes and "presume" our judgments are wiser.... like condemning another to death when innocent.

As for religion - I cannot think religion wants this kind of decision - it is human interpretation which is wrong.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
You are correct. The numbers needed to ensure fertilization are only a fraction of the total number of embryos created.

There will be others to try to shed light on this issue. Christopher Reeves was a great champion of this research.

I really wish that this topic could be viewed with an open mind. For those who don't allready know, stem cells are used every day from adults to help cancer patients. The marrow is extracted, stem cells removed, and then replaced back into the marrow to grow again. Very painfull process for the chemotherapy patients.

If anyone wants to look up some good research being done with stem cells, look up articles by Olle Lindvall.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
That there needs to be more lines in embyro stem cells is ONLY AN ISSUE FOR RESEARCH.

What I mean by that is ADULT stem cells are helping people RIGHT NOW.

And embyro stem cell research is so NOT promising right now.

One reason is that adult stem cells are being used right now ?
It's because the doctors are using YOUR CELLS. No rejection.

That's just one reason.

Adult stem cells are FAR MORE USEFUL RIGHT NOW, and much more promising RIGHT NOW.

It's a long road from embyro stem cells being even remotely useful.

And ironicly federal funds and oversight just might hamper embryo stem cell research
as it does under EU oversight and regulation.

LIKE government involvement is the cure for everything.

In addition, have the liberals all forgotten their Frankenstein and Nazi movies lately, eh ?

ARe not embyro farms an Orwellian Kodack moment to give us pause ???

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Tonington - good post!

Many people are experiencing benefits from stem cell.

I cannot in my heart believe any religion of mankind would deny another living being the chance at a productive life if it were possible by the use of cells which were destined to be flushed into our sewer
system.

It makes absolutely no sense and in a strange way makes a mockery out of the religious arguments we
hear against capital punishment for a crime, or sending military people to war to kill.

Religions screams about abortion - but will not see the error of misinterpretation in their denial of the use of science to prolong existing life...... They sanction war..... how can this be more "evil"?

Someone is going to have to make a decision soon and I hope it will not be the politicians or the religious fanatics - this one is best left up to science - and damn those who fight it...

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Some misunderstandings are being perpetuated.

Embryonic Stem cells are so far less useful than Adult Stem cells right now.

Scientists believe embryonic stem cells hold great promise, except they hold no promise for now
and so the greatest advances and productive results are in ADULT STEM CELLS.

Also political ads are misleading when they make voters think a Republican is outlawing
stem cell research. This is untrue. There is no ban on PRIVATE RESEARCH at all !!!

However what kind of virtuous thinking are you showing if we do not carefully weigh
embryonic stell cells and what road that leads to, without cautious debate.

The left and the right are demonizing each other on this issue, and no one claiming moral high ground.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
JimMoyer

I see my earlier post came up before yours on ADULT stem cell research....good information - thanks!

I think I need to read up more on this topic - or I am listening to the wrong people - could be both...certainly I need more input....

Will redo my head .... (in time)......

A question: I know they are saving cord blood for children at birth now - but is this a possibility for future research for others???? Or only the owner of the cord blood.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Jim Moyer,

More lines for research= more rersearch. More research=more information. More information=new promising techniques, or improvements in old ones.

Adult stem cells have been researched for more than 40 years now. They have been in use for 30 years for bone marrow transplants.

Embryonic research is quite new in comparison.

The adult stem cells work because of large doses of radiation to suppress your immune response to the stem cells. The marrow comes from donors, as your own marrow doesn't produce enough of it's own stem cells.

The reason more promising...40 years of research. See above for what new research adds to the growing body of knowledge.

Government involvement is a huge boost to finding cures. Do you know how much research money comes from governments? The top 10 universities by medical research grants from the NIH in 2004 topped $4 billion. Just imagine if some of that money could be used in legitimate stem cell research......

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
That's The Stupid Secret

Political partisans are far behind the curve on Adult Stem Cells.

Adult stem cells not only shows IMMEDIATE PROMISE, it is currently being used NOW,
and literally saving lives ---- something that will take a very very long time for embryonic stem
cell research to come near.

Now the dichotomies:

So stem cell research ? You need to dilineate between ADULT or EMBRYONIC.

Stem cell research bans ? You need to dilineate the above plus whether it is PRIVATE or GOVERNMENT ?

Stem cell research ? You need to wonder whether govt dollar strings hamper a laboratory and while
you wonder that, research the rules and regs of the EU.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Hah! we're posting at the same time. You'll notice I'm not blaming left or right or middle, or up or down. This is just one of those issues I think should transcend the lines drawn in the sand, much as the climate "debate" should.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'm not in the EU, their rules don't pertain to me.

I thought it was obvious what research I was talking about. Since you were arguing the adult uses, I was talking about embryonic, as that is what I've been talking about the whole time. Embryonic stem cells recieves no money from the federal government. I then showeed how much money is out there for research.

Making my point, open up federal research dollars to embryonic research. This will lead to more answers/techniques.

How much does the private research funds amount to?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Despite lack of taxpayer money offered with strings and committees, private research on
embyronic stem cells will always dwarf government involvement and will be more productive also.

By the time we get around to deciding how to control embyro farms
where we create life to kill it, and rules and regs on cloning experiments, the scientists
will spend half their day on just paperwork requirements.

Imagine Dr Frankenstein having to fill out forms before proceeding with any lab project ?

That oughta stifle it, Edith.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Did you even read my post with regards to stem cells from in vitro clinics? Those people are there to have a baby. I think it would be most ethical if the remaining embryos were donated to research rather than thrown away/destroyed.

Since you seem so confident, can you show me evidence that private research for stem cells is even in the vicinity of government research grants?

It has to be more productive now because as I said allready, public funds ARE NOT allowed to be used for embryonic stem cell research.

I have done research before, This summer I worked on an NSRC/IRAP grant. Most research does allready require stacks and heaps of confusing forms and paperwork.

Imagine if Dr. Frankenstein had stem cells to use instead of grave robbing.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
A friend of mine, a stem cell biologist, claims the entire issue is misunderstood. He's a proponent of using umbilical cord stemcells because he says the properties of embryonic are no better, are less abundant and full of controvery. He says umbilical cord cells are pluripotent, capable of developing into anything but an entire new fetus or placenta. Since embryonic cells are extracted from the inner cell mass of an embryo they are no different. Yet, embryonic stem cells get all the attention. I forget all that he said but there were issues around cancerous embryo cells. Lets face it, many of the embryos that would be used would eventually be miscarried by the mother anyway. Probably for good reason. An umbilical cord has past all the viability health tests, and the supply is potentially unlimited. He mentioned something about needing up to one hundred or more embryos to produce a line for one potential transplant. He's alittle fed up with the public debate.