Farmers warn of wild boar dangers

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Wild boar, fierce wild pigs, were once common across Britain, but were hunted to extinction here. But now they seem to have made a comeback and their numbers are increasing each year. And they can be dangerous as numerous farmers have warned. Last week, a woman was rescued by her dog after she was savaged by two wild boar.
-------------------------------------------------------

Farmers warn of wild boar dangers

I wouldn't get one of these ugly brutes angry.

A stalker had been hired on one farm to tackle wild boars.

An increase in the reported number of wild boar roaming woodlands in certain parts of England has raised concern for the safety of farm animals.

Farming leaders in the West Midlands blamed the tusked animal for savaging livestock, damaging crops and impregnating pig sows in the region.

In one incident, a farmer said a wild boar chased 19 of his heifers across fields into a neighbouring farm at Coughton, near Alcester, Warwickshire, and attacked a pregnant cow.

The National Farmers' Union warned the nocturnal beasts could be dangerous to the public after a woman riding a horse in Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, was also chased.

Matthew Price, group secretary of the NFU in Ledbury and Ross-on-Wye, said he was concerned by the animals.

"My main concern is public safety, both from the boar and from people who try shooting them," he said.

"A sow with piglets is extremely dangerous. They are impressively large creatures, very fast and aggressive. In my opinion they are dangerous things.

"The population is fairly prolific. I have noticed a rise over the last two to three years."

Mr Price said some farmers had shot wild boar after they caused considerable crop damage and a professional stalker had been hired on one farm to thin out the population.

news.bbc.co.uk

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
I just took a quick glance at the picture as I read the remainder of your post. Your post mentions that a woman was savaged by two them... Your post further mentions stalkers and the like. When I got to the part about the wild boar being ugly, I thought, "Yeah, but look at the size of the unit on that thing." :p

The woman probably enjoyed it, if she's the type that believes size matters... :lol: