Computers 'set to read our minds'

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Computers 'set to read our minds'

The team aims to refine the program's ability to read expressions (Image: Royal Society)

An "emotionally aware" computer system designed to read people's minds by analysing expressions will be featured at a major London exhibition.

Visitors to the Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition are being invited to help "train" the computer how to read joy, anger and other expressions.

Its designers say there are potential commercial uses, such as picking the right time to sell someone something.

But it may also help improve driver safety and help people with autism.

The computer, which is connected to a camera, locates and tracks 24 facial "feature points" such as the edge of the nose, the eyebrows and the corners of the mouth.

A total of 20 key facial movements - including a nod or shake of the head, a raise of the eyebrow or a pull on the corner of the mouth - have been identified.

Combinations of these movements, which are thought to represent underlying emotions, are then fed into software and used to detect the same facial combinations in real-life situations.

Subtle variations

Peter Robinson, professor of computer technology at the University of Cambridge, said: "The system can already cope with the variation in people's facial composition; for example, if you have a round or thin face, or if you wear glasses or have a beard.

"However, there are small variations in the way people express the same emotion."

The scientists have been "training" the recognition system by using actors to make different facial expressions. They hope the exhibition will generate valuable new data to improve the programme's ability to read faces.

Professor Robinson added: "Our research could enable websites to tailor advertising or products to your mood."

For example, he explained, software linked to a webcam could process a person's image, encode the correct emotional state and transmit the information to a website, which could then display products or advertising.

Dashboard aid

The technology is also being developed for use in cars to improve driver safety. The team is recording the faces of volunteers in driving situations and monitoring facial movements to identify more complex expressions linked to confusion, boredom or tiredness.

"We are working with a big car company and they envision this being employed in cars within five years," Professor Robinson said, adding that a camera could be built into the dashboard.

The team is also working with colleagues at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to develop a wearable version of the system, to help those with conditions, such as autism and Asperger's syndrome, who have particular difficulty in reading other people's facial expressions and emotions.

The headset, which is at its first prototype stage, would interpret other people's moods and communicate those to the wearer.

The Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition runs from Monday 3 July to Thursday 6 July at The Royal Society, 6-9 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5AG.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5116762.stm

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
So the future's catching up to us. All those books and movies imputing dark designs to computers and cyborgs will likely be proven correct. If flesh can evolve, why not machine? Hal would be proud.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
RE: Computers 'set to rea

I can't wait to see computers that are literally able to read your mind.

What a day it will be when we can perfectly interface with a computer by way of thoughts. Thinking of the possibilities gets me pretty darn excited!

I don't think it's too far off in the future either! I hope we all live long enough for these times.

Always, I wanted to live long enough to use a hoverboard after watching Back to the Future, but screw that, it's nothing compared to the possibilities that would result from what I am now hoping for...

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
maybe one day you'll be longing for the days when your computer didn't report your depressive moods to the State...

Judland

Electoral Member
Re: RE: Computers 'set to rea

humanbeing said:
I can't wait to see computers that are literally able to read your mind.

What a day it will be when we can perfectly interface with a computer by way of thoughts. Thinking of the possibilities gets me pretty darn excited!

I don't think it's too far off in the future either! I hope we all live long enough for these times.

Always, I wanted to live long enough to use a hoverboard after watching Back to the Future, but screw that, it's nothing compared to the possibilities that would result from what I am now hoping for...

Ever watch the movie "Forbidden Planet"?

Beware the Id.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
Re: RE: Computers 'set to rea

Ever watch the movie "Forbidden Planet"?

Beware the Id.

Heheh.

No I haven't watched it, but I just read the wikipedia article.

I think there is good reason for us humans to be worried about some of the possibilities that could result from human-level AI or anything beyond it. There might be a lesson to learn from this movie and others along the same line: design them properly so they don't turn on us, and so they don't design other AIs that will turn on us, or find us of little value.

Before we even start talking about AI though, imagine the possibilities that could result from being able to communicate with a computer (not necessarily one that acts like a human) in some other form than reading, typing, and speaking. Where you could hook yourself up to a processor attached to your body that enabled you to mentally communicate with others from afar by faster means than talking & listening (if you want it to be faster anyhow), or scan a database for information that is relayed to your mind instantly.

You could answer the most ridiculously difficult mathematics questions at the snap of a finger; quickly bring yourself up-to-date on the latest happenings within a certain field; shut your body down and enter an artificially designed world, perhaps to meet a friend there for lunch. It would give people more free time to do the things they love, and foster creativity and intellectual pursuits. AI will take care of the rote work.

When this happens, the world will be made a much better place, and science, technology, and art would develop far quicker than ever before. Within my lifetime, hopefully...

The major problem to me, is making sure this gets made available to as many people as quickly as possible. We gotta stop leaving the poor behind (in our own societies and within others from different nation-states). This is especially true if you look at some of the consequences that could result from AI doing all work (which will be sometime soon). Think of the industrial revolution and how it affected workers in the short term (which is a major chunk of time in relation to a human's life), except this time it lasts indefinitely, and the benefits don't make it to all.

In our societies with their emphasis on private property laws, you need to work at some point, or own the means of production to a certain degree, to make all this money in order to own or have access to such things as the setup I've been talking about.

2nd worst case scenario: you might end up seeing rich people being catered to by robots, while all others sit and rot once they are broke. Sounds like it could be a waste of lives and minds. It's already the trend these days.