AS this plays out in back rooms, the GM crops are growing. Growing more and more out of control.
Some of the incidents identified were:
* Pork meat from genetically engineered pigs being sold to consumers;
* Ordinary crops being contaminated with GM crops containing pharmaceuticals;
* Growing and international distribution of illegal antibiotic resistant Maize seeds;
* Planting of outlawed GM crops which have been smuggled into countries;
* Mixing of unapproved GM crops in food, including shipments of food aid;
* Inadvertent mixing of different GM strains even in high-profile scientific field trials.
Whoa!! - the pharmaceuticals getting into regular crops/food is scary eh? - this is crops that were designed to 'grow' the exact molecule of a pharmaceutical pill, like Prozac for eg., have been found growing in regular crops, and the concern is that they will spread their genetic info to regular plants and crops... And we know what nature can do with genetic information! It could end up everywhere.
GM Contamination Report: Full Report - link -
A report released this month by Greenpeace and GeneWatch U.K., titled "GM Contamination Report 2005" shows disturbing results.
Those who were skeptical about allowing GM crops to be commercially grown may now be witnessing the first realizations of their concerns. The report reveals 113 cases in which supposedly controlled GM crops have "leaked" into the natural environment.These are the exact concerns that were voiced when GM crops were first proposed.
Personally, I believe that was the plan all along...
LETS demand that this Parliament has a discussion on GM crops, with a bill introduced early next parliament. This may be '3rd only to global warming and Bush nukes' as the biggest threat to humankind. Of course, Harper will side with the corporations and not the consumers...