Global warming a damp squib

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ian Plimer: Global warming a damp squib

January 05, 2006
HEAT, bushfires. Just another Australian summer, some hotter, some wetter, some cooler, some drier. As per usual, the northern hemisphere freezes and the blame game is in overdrive. At the 2005 UN Climate Change Conference in Montreal, Greenpeace's Steven Guilbeault stated: "Global warming can mean colder, it can mean drier, it can mean wetter, that's what we're dealing with."

It is that simple! If it's hot, it's global warming; if it's cold, it's global warming. Demonstrators in frigid temperatures in Montreal chanted: "It's hot in here! There's too much carbon in the atmosphere!" The same apocalyptic Guilbeault says: "Time is running out to deal with climate change. Ten years ago, we thought we had a lot of time, five years ago we thought we had a lot of time, but now science is telling us that we don't have a lot of time." Really.

In 1992, Greenpeace's Henry Kendall gave us the Chicken Little quote, "Time is running out"; in 1994, The Irish Times tried to frighten the leprechauns with "Time running out for action on global warming, Greenpeace claims"; and in 1997 Chris Rose of Greenpeace maintained the religious mantra with "Time is running out for the climate". We've heard such failed catastrophist predictions before. The Club of Rome on resources, Paul Erlich on population, Y2K, and now Greenpeace on global warming.

During the past 30 years, the US economy grew by 50 per cent, car numbers grew by 143 per cent, energy consumption grew by 45 per cent and air pollutants declined by 29 per cent, toxic emissions by 48.5 per cent, sulphur dioxide levels by 65.3 per cent and airborne lead by 97.3 per cent. Most European signatories to the Kyoto Protocol had greenhouse gas emissions increase since 2001, whereas in the US emissions fell by nearly 1per cent. Furthermore, carbon credits rewarded Russia, (east) Germany and Britain, which had technically and economically backward energy production in 1990.

By the end of this century, the demographically doomed French, Italians and Spaniards may have too few environmentalists to fund Greenpeace's business. So what really does Greenpeace want? A habitable environment with no humans left to inhabit it? Destruction of the major economies for .07C change?

Does it matter if sea level rises a few metres or global temperatures rise a few degrees? No. Sea level changes by up to 400m, atmospheric temperatures by about 20C, carbon dioxide can vary from 20 per cent to 0.03 per cent, and our dynamic planet just keeps evolving. Greenpeace, contrary to scientific data, implies a static planet. Even if the sea level rises by metres, it is probably cheaper to address this change than reconstruct the world's economies.

For about 80 per cent of the time since its formation, Earth has been a warm, wet, greenhouse planet with no icecaps. When Earth had icecaps, the climate was far more variable, disease depopulated human settlements and extinction rates of other complex organisms were higher. Thriving of life and economic strength occurs during warm times. Could Greenpeace please explain why there was a pre-Industrial Revolution global warming from AD900 to 1300? Why was the sea level higher 6000 years ago than it is at present? Which part of the 120m sea-level rise over the past 15,000 years is human-induced? To attribute a multicomponent, variable natural process such as climate change to human-induced carbon emissions is pseudo-science.

There is no debate about climate change, only dogma and misinformation. For example, is there a link between hurricanes Katrina and Rita and global warming? Two hurricanes hit the US Gulf Coast six weeks apart in 1915, mimicking Katrina and Rita. If global warming caused recent storms, there should have been more hurricanes in the Pacific and Indian oceans since 1995. Instead, there has been a slight decrease at a time when China and India have increased greenhouse gas emissions. The impact of hurricanes might seem more severe because of the blanket instantaneous news coverage and because more people now live in hurricane-prone areas, hence there is more property damage and loss of life.

Only a strong economy can produce the well fed who have the luxury of espousing with religious fervour their uncosted, impractical, impoverishing policies. By such policies, Greenpeace continues to exacerbate grinding poverty in the Third World. The planet's best friend is human resourcefulness with a supportive, strong economy and reduced release of toxins. The greenhouse gases - nitrous oxide, carbon dioxide and methane - have been recycled for billions of years without the intervention of human politics.

Ian Plimer is a professor of geology at the University of Adelaide and former head of the school of earth sciences at the University of Melbourne.

Link

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yeah.

I have always had a problem believing our planet has suddenly become so fragile that a degree or two change in temperature is going to wipe out the human race.

(yawn)

I am no expert on this matter, but it seems that respectable, independent, knowledgeable people disagree with the conventional wisdom on global warming. They are pilloried.

I'd love to see a debate.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
there is debate, colpy.

have you read any of the studies that suggest mankind has benefited from global warming? There very much many "sides" to this issue still.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Even if the poles melt and the sea level rises dramatically, it will be "Blue" states that suffer the most... :) J/K

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:roll: It seems that Global warming is taken literally by assuming that "It's gonna get warmer" which makes it easy to dismiss or refute if it gets a little colder than usual.

:? The picture is a little bigger than that guys. It should be called Ocean warming or something like that. The main change globally in temperature is in the ocean, and unfortunately such a change...yes even by a couple of degrees isn't going to bring the earth down to its knees, but it does mean that the Weather is different, and in some cases the probability of unusually extreme weather . And by saying that, at least by observing where I am at now, is that the seasons are shifting, and their durations unpredictable...and I'm only on the east coast.

:x Most of you know that I've lived in the Arctic most of my life and had experienced freakishly Wonky Sh!t there, even 15 years ago when Global Warming was only whispered by conspiracy theorists. Something is going on and as a society we should at least do our best to adapt to the problem and help alleviate some of the know causes that contribute to it.

:wink: If you don't think changes haven't been severe enough to warrent any concern or thought I'll gladly point ye to a Northern forum where you could talk with the people currently living in these conditions and tell them that it's no big deal eh?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Right on Jo!

Ignorance doesn't make it go away either. Maybe when L.A. is under water, these people will believe. There is plenty of evidence for global warming, but you have to be able to read.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I don't think it is prudent to assume everyone discards global warming as a myth, what most people have a hard time swallowing are the causes of global warming. Is it anthropogenic or a natural occuring cycle?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
oh, its real juan, and has been going on much longer than what most talk about.

there has to be a motivation for change, and for many thus far a clear motivator has not surfaced. Unfortunately, these things usually come late in the game. People adapt to the gradual changes, and easily forget differences with the "distant past" (distant in reference to a human lifespan).

The reason i stress the impact of human activity going back to the first clearing of forests for agriculture is because of this adaptation to gradual change being so easily overlooked.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I think not said:
I don't think it is prudent to assume everyone discards global warming as a myth, what most people have a hard time swallowing are the causes of global warming. Is it anthropogenic or a natural occuring cycle?

I seem to view as it as a bit from column A and a bit from Column B.
However I do believe that we are most likley assisting in hastening the natural process of whatever natural process the climate goes through. As I said before it'd be best to adapt to the problem and help alleviate some of the known causes that contribute to it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
caracal kid

You're right. We do need a motivator, or perhaps a good kick in the ass. My problem is always that if it takes several hundred years to get global warming to the point where it is now, how long will it take to get it stopped?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jo Canadian said:
I think not said:

I seem to view as it as a bit from column A and a bit from Column B.
However I do believe that we are most likley assisting in hastening the natural process of whatever natural process the climate goes through. As I said before it'd be best to adapt to the problem and help alleviate some of the known causes that contribute to it.

How can you argue with that logic? I don't think anyone can.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Global warming a damp squib

Jay said:
Even if the poles melt and the sea level rises dramatically, it will be "Blue" states that suffer the most... :) J/K

I read a journal article that more or less came to the same conslusions. In the end they said poor coastal and tropical regions will suffer the most from rising sea levels because they lack the proper resouces (money) to deal with the problem. I''m not sure what that means exactly, but I think the smarty pants scientists was trying to say they don't have enough cash to build a giant wall......or something? :?

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
Global warming and cooling have been going on for millions of years. At the moment we seem to be in a warming phase but we are talking on global terms. Regional effects may be quite different. It is projected that northern Europe will be much cooler as the Gulf Stream is diverted southward but the Arctic will be much warmer; enough so that permafrost will probabably melt and release vast amounts of trapped methane gas. Methane is a much more effective greenhouse gas so the planet may warm rather quickly as methane is released.

Regionally, we can expect Florida and most of the Gulf states to disappear under water. In fact, many coastal cities will be flooded as will Bangladesh. Some deserts will become pasturelands and some forests will become deserts.

If we want to stop global warming, we probably can, but it will be a big, expensive job.