More bad news on the environment

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I saw that on TV. today. It's so depressing. I also argued with someone at work who thinks that it's all junk science. Unbelievable. There's not much hope when people believe in fundamentalists and not science.
I just watched the Corporation and it said that in the last 25 years reports on our planet have been getting worse, more species are endangered or extinct, the air is always getting worse, and as our population grows, the earth’s ability to sustain life shrinks.
There should be an Environment section to post on this website.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: More bad news on the

Whitley Strieber had an excellent series of novels about the environment going to hell. I can't remember what they were called now, but they started out using actual news releases then, as time moved on in the books, the news stories got progressively worse.

Those came out in the mid to late 1980's, I think. The progression was eerily accurate.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
The amount of chemicals in our bodys now compared to 50 years ago is just sick anybody that thinks theres nothing wrong with the planet is in total denial

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
One thing that David Suzuki's daughter said stuck with me. A politician said "I'm sure your generation will save this planet" and then she replied, "is that your excuse for not doing anything"? Thats the mentality of leaders today, they'll do whatever they want because they wont be around for another 50 years, and pass whats left to the next generation who'll have to live with the mess.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I always find that attitude baffling. It's very real though. So is the idea that science will supply some sort of magic bullet, last second answer that will save us. Science already has a lot of the answers. It's already getting close to the last minute. Why aren't we doing anything? Why are we saving it for some future generation?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Its always about money and profit first. The environment is always a distant second to money. Most business's only "care" about environment when there is a public outcry and at best they usually just do a "token" gesture.

I think the time has come to abolish money, as that is what's destroying the world, as it causes greed, which only benefits a select few.

hollaback

Sep 23, 2004
NS
I am all against greed too no1important....but lets be serious here, we can't abolish money, that would not fly. But all countries need to open their eyes and see what is happening. WE have the power right now to do something about all this, but the problem is whether we are willing to give up the peachy-keen lifestyle we are used to. I am...and I suggest all those of you who are interested in the enviorment to take part in the one-tonne challenge. This is just one awesome idea that could spread like wild fire if we make it successful!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"The Millennium Assessment, released Wednesday, warns that 15 of 24 global ecosystems are in decline and that the harmful consequences of this degradation could grow much worse in the next 50 years."

This tells me that we have time, and it’s not as bad as the doomsayers would have us believe.

We need to get our act together as consumers, and voters, and I believe a positive change is coming.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Yes lets just sit around for another fifty years and see what happens. Bah! do your part, whenever and however you can. Don't expect much victories, if you do than you will be very disappointed. Its all about greed and nothing more. I don't think anyone can expect money to be abolished, the making of it into an idol certainly can.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The report also mentions that nobody knows where the tipping point is, Jay...the point when nature cannot readily repair itself. The collapse of the cod stocks is a good example of that happening.

With the anti-environmental momentum we have generated in the name of corporate profits and personal greed, it will take us at least 50 years to turn things around anyway.

How 'bout we stand up and take responsibility, Jay. You're always saying how corporations will do that. How come there isn't a line-up of CEOs making environmental speeches?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
That isn’t a very positive attitude Pea....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Reverend Blair said:
The report also mentions that nobody knows where the tipping point is, Jay...the point when nature cannot readily repair itself. The collapse of the cod stocks is a good example of that happening.

The earth can handle 2km long meteorites slamming into it, but it can't handle this? I doubt it. It will be fine as we progress along with our new developments. The future looks bright to me.

Reverend Blair said:
With the anti-environmental momentum we have generated in the name of corporate profits and personal greed, it will take us at least 50 years to turn things around anyway.

I don't believe that sort of fear mongering

Reverend Blair said:
How 'bout we stand up and take responsibility, Jay. You're always saying how corporations will do that. How come there isn't a line-up of CEOs making environmental speeches?

Yes let’s take some responsibility for ourselves.

Corporations will do this if they are made to. I'm not of the opinion that everyone in a corporation is evil, or that corporations are evil in themselves. I think they will follow the laws we make for them.

I watch and hear what is going on, although I don't hear CEO making environmental speeches all the time, but I do see a changing consumer and a want of the people to be more responsible, and I see pressure on corporations to change, and I see commercials on TV showing that the changes are happening.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: More bad news on the environment

mrmom2 said:
They can't steal any money making speeches about the enviroment Rev ! :p

Thats the government's job mrmom....