Climate change ‘pause’ does not exist, scientists show, in wounding blow for deniers

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Climate change ‘pause’ does not exist, scientists show, in wounding blow for global warming denialists

Claims that global warming is on “pause” are wrong, new research has found.

Many researchers have long thought that there had been a slowdown in the rate of global warming in recent years. It was a claim often made by those who doubt or downplay the effects of man-made climate change, who argued that the slowdown showed that warming was happening less quickly or extremely than claimed.

But new research published in the journal Science Advances supports previous studies that find scientists have been underestimating the rise in ocean temperatures for decades.

After the re-evaluation, scientists have suggested that what looked like a pause in temperatures between 1998 and 2014 didn’t seem to have happened at all.

The study finds that the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration was right when it challenged the pause in a major paper published in Science in 2015. That paper used an updated set of data to prove that the planet’s oceans had actually warmed and that the behaviour was consistent with the more long-term trend.

It showed that the ocean buoys that are now used to measure sea temperatures reported slightly cooler temperatures than the ship-based systems that were used before. The latter were used throughout the 1990s and most measurements have now switched to buoys – giving the impression that the temperatures were cooler.

That paper became both highly controversial and hugely important, leading to discussions in congress and huge changes in the estimates of the damage of climate change.

The new study finds that the NOAA report was correct in adjusting the data. It looks at the biases that the organisation corrected for and found that they were right to do so, and that other temperature datasets should see the same adjustments.

It did so by creating separate records of ocean temperatures made using different measuring systems. It then compared them to the different NOAA records and found that the newly-updated one was more accurate.

That is important partly because NOAA had been accused of making the change for political reasons, and to increase the concern about climate change. But the researchers found that there was no “no cooking of the books” and that all the adjustments were accurate.

Climate change ‘pause’ does not exist, scientists show, in wounding blow for global warming denialists | The Independent

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
An extremely cold winter . Give me some of that global warming . I miss golf .

An extremely cold winter . Give me some of that global warming . I miss golf .
We are used to playing all year out here in lalaland . We don't even buy enough salt for our roads in winter anymore , thanks to this global warming stuff .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How much global warming do you have on your lawn?

Did you notice flosshole's graphic only goes back 110 years?

If it went back 500 years we'd still be short of "hottest ever".

I wonder why?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
How much global warming do you have on your lawn?

All I see now is green grass.

There used to be snowy winters around here. Lake Ontario used to freeze over, too. It's been decades since either was a regular occurance in Southern Ontario.

My mother had old photos from the farm that she grew up on in the Niagara area with snow up to the car roofs. I used to be considered to be a "snow belt" but no longer. The only time that I've seen that much snow around here was that infamous storm when Mel Lastman called in the Army, back in 1999. There is a photo of me holding my almost newborn daughter in front of a seven foot high drift on the front lawn. That was a freak occurance that has not repeated since.

p.s. I was raised in Quebec and I know what real snow looks like.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Ontario’s plan: destroy jobs, save the planet

Here in clean, green Ontario, where the ambitions of our government know no bounds, a bright new year has dawned. Gasoline is likely to rise by 4.3 cents a litre. Your hydro bill is going up. You’ll pay more for natural gas, too. But don’t feel blue. You are helping save the planet. All of these higher costs are part of the government’s new cap-and-trade scheme, a vast multibillion-dollar enterprise that is designed to cut greenhouse-gas emissions by redistributing tons of money to big emitters in California and subsidy-seekers here at home.

Unfortunately, the timing is terrible – especially for an increasing number of small- and medium-sized business owners, who can’t figure out how to make a living here any more.

Jocelyn Williams Bamford is vice-president of Automatic Coating, a small, specialty manufacturer based in Scarborough, Ont., that employs 75 people. “Our electricity costs are through the roof,” she told me. The reason is something called “global adjustments” – a fee to cover the cost of green energy and conservation programs that is unrelated to the actual cost of electricity itself. Companies like hers are facing staggering hydro bills of $30,000 or $40,000 a month – mostly because of government investments in green energy that Ontario doesn’t need and can’t use.

Now comes cap and trade. That will hurt even more. Larger companies will be required to buy pollution allowances, but smaller ones will just get whacked with extra costs. How much? An estimate by law firm Stikeman Elliott puts the tab at $136,000 a year for starters, rising to $720,000 by 2030. But in fact no one knows what the costs will be or how the billings will work. Large emitters will initially get breaks to allow them to adjust. Small businesses will get none.

“The Ontario government is making sure it will be impossible for manufacturers to compete in a global market,” says Byron Nelson, whose company, Leland Industries, employs about 220 people in two Canadian plants to make fasteners for global export markets.

“We’ve expanded a lot over the last number of years, but doing business here is so damn hard.” Most companies like his have invested heavily to reduce emissions, with great success. But the government doesn’t care. The next plant he opens will be in Illinois, where electricity costs are about half of Ontario’s – and where somebody actually listens to people like him.

Things are better in Alberta – sort of. Rachel Notley’s carbon-pricing scheme, which also comes into effect this week, is everything that Ontario’s is not. It is comprehensible and transparent. You may not like it, but at least it makes sense. Ontario’s scheme is hopelessly opaque, and offers endless opportunities for mischief. Major details (such as how to count emissions cuts) have yet to be worked out.

Business people are astonished that such a half-baked scheme is actually going ahead.

Ontario’s Liberals are delusional. They actually believe that they can re-engineer industry and society and even the climate itself.

Fortunately, the voters are catching on. Premier Kathleen Wynne’s approval rating stands at a miserable 14 or 15 per cent. Ontarians go to the polls next year. The Conservatives can win simply by sitting back and letting people open their hydro bills every month.

Everybody wants to do something about climate change. The challenge is to figure out whether the costs we’re imposing on ourselves are reasonable and fair compared to our competitors. We should also keep in mind that fossil fuels still supply around 80 per cent of the world’s energy demand – and the same will be true in 2040, no matter how much we choose to kneecap ourselves.

Ontario's plan: destroy jobs, save the planet - The Globe and Mail

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Ontario's carbon tax will do exactly zip to reverse global warming. The globe has been warming steadily for 12,000 years and if we're speeding it up a bit, we probably can't slow it down again, anyway.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
We are in a period of medium to high solar activity that is part of a traceable cycle over the last few million years and coincides exactly with warm periods and ice ages on earth. As solar activity increases more heavy elements are created causing the gravitational pull of the sun to increase and our orbit to shrink slightly which increases solar radiation even more. These are the factors that have kept the warming/cooling cycle going for 4 billion years or so. Man has no control over either and will not affect anything in any way no matter what we do or how many lies are told. The sun determines whether we get warming or cooling trends. Everything else you hear is complete bullsh!t.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's cold because of global warming?

And "the record" only goes back 110 years because of global warming too?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
any good bartender will tell you the secret of a good drink is to make the ice cubes on the stove

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
...so if all global warming alarmists go to heaven...
would that not be one more reason for the rest of us to not to pay the carbon tax?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We are in a period of medium to high solar activity that is part of a traceable cycle over the last few million years and coincides exactly with warm periods and ice ages on earth. As solar activity increases more heavy elements are created causing the gravitational pull of the sun to increase and our orbit to shrink slightly which increases solar radiation even more. These are the factors that have kept the warming/cooling cycle going for 4 billion years or so. Man has no control over either and will not affect anything in any way no matter what we do or how many lies are told. The sun determines whether we get warming or cooling trends. Everything else you hear is complete bullsh!t.

You are correct of course and as such seen as a grave threat to the well being of bunnies and kitties as am I. You can tell the truely stupid people by thier belief in the power of humanity to effect change in solar irradiation with thier nickles and dimes collected by middle aged primary school pupils frightenend by nothing but thier own ignorance.

Global warming alarmists all go to Hell. God hates losers and gives them what they whine about the most.

The stupid go to hell according to most religions. I have no doubt whatever that none of these human initiated global warming twits will ever get any where near heaven.

I will be very dissapointed to meet any of them there.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015