Drone photographs "fog waterfall" rolling over edge of cliff

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A drone has captured the incredible moment a blanket of thick fog turns into a ‘waterfall’ as it rolls over the edge of a seaside cliff.

Photographer James Loveridge flew his camera drone 200 feet above the cliffs at West Bay in Dorset to capture video footage of the moving white carpet heading across the land towards the sea.

But as it reached the edge of the 100ft sheer cliffs it dropped away and plunged towards the beach below like a waterfall.

Drone catches the incredible moment a blanket of thick fog makes a 'waterfall' rolling off the cliffs of Dorset

Photographer James Loveridge captures moment fog turns into waterfall

The 'stunning' drone footage was taken over the West Bay cliffs in Dorset

The unusual natural phenomenon is called a 'temperature inversion'

By Jessica Duncan For Mailonline
27 October 2016

A drone has captured the incredible moment a blanket of thick fog turns into a ‘waterfall’ as it rolls over the edge of a seaside cliff.

Photographer James Loveridge flew his camera drone 200 feet above the cliffs at West Bay in Dorset to capture video footage of the moving white carpet heading across the land towards the sea.

But as it reached the edge of the 100ft sheer cliffs it dropped away and plunged towards the beach below like a waterfall.

Stunning footage captured from a drone flying over the Jurassic Coast, which is a World Heritage Site on the English Channel coast of southern England

Mist is seen flowing off the cliff like a waterfall at West Bay in Dorset, as the sun rises over the English channel

Mr Loveridge, 26, was stood on the beach completely surrounded in fog as he spent 30 minutes recording the natural phenomenon until his camera battery ran out.

When he got home he edited the different clips of film together and set it at 10 times the speed to make a dramatic time-lapse video.

Mr Loveridge, from Burton Bradstock in Dorset, recorded the natural event between 8am and 8.30am today when the entire cliff top at West Bay was covered in the blanket of fog.

He said: 'When I walked on to the beach I couldn’t see anything because of the fog. I could barely see the top of the cliffs.

'I sent up my drone well above the cliffs to see what was happening and I could see the fog just flowing over the cliffs like a waterfall.

'It was stunning. I took four videos lasting three of four minutes each. When I edited all together and sped it up I was delighted with the result. It looks brilliant. How often do you witness something like that?'

Mr Loveridge, 26, was stood on the beach completely surrounded in fog as he spent 30 minutes recording the natural phenomena until his camera battery ran out

He said 'it was stunning' and took four videos lasting three of four minutes each

He sent his drone 200 feet above the cliffs to capture this incredible footage of what is referred to as 'temperature inversion'

Normally, hot air will cool as it rises, but the opposite can sometimes occur in what is known as 'temperature inversion'.

Thus hot air high up acts as a seal to keep cold air and fog trapped below, creating the scene of a river of fog seeming to flow into the sea below.

The phenomenon is more frequent in Iceland where the roar of the wind almost sounds like a real waterfall.

Last edited: